Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume this is a nice way of saying my gearbox is close to crap? One shift every 100/150 miles or so lands in a dead spot between 2nd and 3rd gear…am I looking at an expensive rebuild/replace in the near future or could it be something else? Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Um, yeah... false neutral on a Ducati... so what else is new? :p

I don't mean to be a smartass - false neutrals are pretty common on a Duc. I've had them on my '74 750 and my 2000 996 and everything in between. I usually see them between 5th and 6th but they can show up elsewhere. In my case it's usually because I'm getting lazy with my shifting.

It COULD be something like a bent shift fork, but it also may be you're not being positive enough on your shifts. You don't have to slam it into the next gear, but you should do more than just put a little pressure on the lever. Half assed attempts will make it shift most of the time, but not all the time...

In any case, it's not something I'd worry about unless you are being very deliberate with your shifts and still having issues. (On older bikes, as in bevel era, there's an adjustment you can make too, I'm not sure if the newer bikes have it? I don't remember ever reading about it and certainly haven't had to do it)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the bike ('95 900ss) has 25k on it and I have enough experience riding that I don't abuse the shifts, but that said, I'm new to the bike & duks in general so I'll keep the advise in mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume this is a nice way of saying my gearbox is close to crap? One shift every 100/150 miles or so lands in a dead spot between 2nd and 3rd gear…am I looking at an expensive rebuild/replace in the near future or could it be something else? Any thoughts appreciated!
Mine has always done this every now and then (97 ss/sp ~26k miles), usually when I give it a weak shift (not raising my toe enough). Adjusting the shift lever down as strider3 says should help.

Adjust the gear shift lever down just a bit. Worked for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks, the bike ('95 900ss) has 25k on it and I have enough experience riding that I don't abuse the shifts, but that said, I'm new to the bike & duks in general so I'll keep the advise in mind.

Sounds normal, 25k on it is nothing you don't have anything to worry about. Theres a neutral between every gear just need to make sure you get it into gear, be forceful. The gearbox in my 1994 900SS was still in good condition when we pulled it apart at 100,000 miles just keep good oil in it and you'll be right for years.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I learned to shift bike trannies on old four speed Harleys and various Brit bikes. You want false neutrals? I'll show you false neutrals... On some of those damn things, you had to hold constant pressure on the shift lever, sometimes even lightly slipping the clutch, until the square cut dogs lined up and went in. My Duc shifts like a dream compared to those things. And yes, I manage a false neutral at least once or twice a week. Or more... Part of the "charm", I guess. If it was easy, everyone would ride one, right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is one of the age old complaints riders of Ducati's have along with crap mirrors, sidestands that kill fairings and general electrical niggles.
We all live with it and file it in the 'character' category.
Even the 1098/1198's and streetfighters have it (along with crap mirrors and sidestands)
Live with it or buy something else is the Ducati factory line

1 - 13 of 13 Posts