Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been thinking about selling my '10 Multi. I don't really have a particular reason, I just don't seem to have a strong desire to keep it.
The Multi is an amazing bike, it's versatile and powerful. You can do almost anything with it. It's a blast to ride and good at so many things.
I've had mine about a year. I've ridden it primarily on a couple of longer distance tours. I don't really enjoy it for short local rides and commuting.
The ride modes make it versatile, but lately I feel like all the settings and adjustments add more complexity than benefit.
Recently I have been enjoying the simplicity of my GT 1000 and Bonneville. No ride modes, no adjustments, just start 'em up and ride. The simplicity seems more appealing.
What am i missing? I loved the bike when i first got it. What have I forgotten?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
You live in the 21st Century?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That's the issue. If you only use it for long distance cruises you will get bored brother. You gotta treat it like a super moto once in a while in the city or around town. You'll be surprised how nimble and aggressive it is. It brings the fun back.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
you have forgotten nothing (go back and read your own writing), but may simply have a preference for the other bikes in your garage, at the moment. whether or not the feeling is a fleeting one is another story. you might sell your MTS and it be the best decision ever, or it may not, only time would tell. they are great riding bikes, maybe the best of the uprights, but they're far from perfect. then again, few if any bikes are.

sell it, and if you decide down the road that it was a mistake, buy another one (new or used), it's that easy. :D

best success,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lately I've been thinking about selling my '10 Multi. I don't really have a particular reason, I just don't seem to have a strong desire to keep it.
The Multi is an amazing bike, it's versatile and powerful. You can do almost anything with it. It's a blast to ride and good at so many things.
I've had mine about a year. I've ridden it primarily on a couple of longer distance tours. I don't really enjoy it for short local rides and commuting.
The ride modes make it versatile, but lately I feel like all the settings and adjustments add more complexity than benefit.
Recently I have been enjoying the simplicity of my GT 1000 and Bonneville. No ride modes, no adjustments, just start 'em up and ride. The simplicity seems more appealing.
From reading what you said why not just leave the bike in sport or touring and forget about it? The bike is so capable. The Multi is new for me but it just does everything so well

But perhaps you are just as happy with your other bikes and want to cash in and do something else with the money. If that's the case then sell it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We all wax and wane at times. I bet you have ridden the Multi to the exclusion of the others recently. Then one day you hop on a basic old thumper and think "wow this is really cool back to basics riding" and it is. But so is riding a highly developed and sophisticated piece of modern machinery. Don't compare just enjoy the differance. Remember one bike is never enough, even the 4 in 1 MTS (3 anyway).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't really have a particular reason, I just don't seem to have a strong desire to keep it.
I just hope you're not contagious!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I understand where you're at. Like you, I keep 3 bikes in the stable so I have something differnt to ride depending on my mood. The Multi is for long distance and when want to carry some stuff, plus the different modes are fun to play with, the Tuono is for quick blasts when I'm feeling like breaking traffic laws and the Bonneville (Steve McQueen edition) will be for going to biker nite and showing off (I had a V-Rod for this and just sold it). I sometimes get bored with one or the other and don't ride that particular one much, but the feeling comes back. I would keep the Multi...you'll fall back in love before you know it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sell it!

I say sell the thing! You can do well on the used market for it and why not move on and give someone else a chance. I love mine, but I go in and out of bikes every year or so. I feel like Im at a banquet and want to sample all the food not just the prime rib.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2012 Multi and haven't even ridden it on any significantly long rides yet, just commuting back and forth to work since I got it! It makes a great commuter especially with the Givi top box I installed. But, it is pretty overkill. I could commute on my Street Triple R with a backpack, but I don't find it nearly as fun as the Multi for commuting.

It's natural to want something else at some point, but it would take me a few years to get to that point myself. Trade your '10 for what you want, and come back to the Multi when Ducati releases a new one! The adventure tourer segment is really getting competitive so whatever Ducati replaces the Multi with will have to be stellar.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
You are spoiled !!!

Everyone is different ,has different desires needs wants and tastes .
Offer it for sale and let someone who appreciates it enjoy it...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Human Nature

Nothing wrong with it. I have a couple old hot rods I'm done with, we all go through it. The wife is scared she's next. I went for a ride up to Mt St Helens and along the way I noticed that it didn't matter what bike people were riding, they all were having a great time. I stopped at a viewing area and had to clear out all the dorks reading some historical plaque or something. Anyway I got a couple pics and told them to carry on. Just kidding, I was the only one there. I have an 1198 and a Multi and love them both for what they are. The 1198 is the fastest and best handling bike I have ever ridden. The Multi is definitely the most versatile bike I have ever seen.

There is no right or wrong, just a new road.:)
[/IMG]

·
Registered
29 Posts
not sure

I would say if you no longer enjoy riding it, move on. Maybe you have had your time with it and find something you really like, if it is not one of those you currently have. I don't necessarily adhere to the MTS as the greatest bike ever POV but I am content with it for now. It puts a smile on my face when I ride and there are some areas of it that could use improvement from my perspective. Best of luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've noticed that Ducatis have a peculiar affect on some of their owners, myself included: when you ride them, you love them; when they are parked out of sight in your garage for any length of time, their grip on you starts to wane and you 'fall out of love' and contemplate parting ways.

I don't know for sure why this happens; my working theory is that Ducatis are more demanding of their riders than nearly any other marque. Riding a Ducati means involvement and constant adaptation. Nothing about any Ducati I've ever ridden was relaxing.

That kind of attention required can make riding seem more like work than recreation, especially if you have other bikes that ask less of you. So, when you think of which bike to ride, the thought of taking the Duc becomes less appealing for anything other than a 'special' ride. They seem too much effort for routine commutes or relaxed boulevard cruises.

But when you do take your Ducati out, you fall in love all over again and all thoughts of selling fly out of your head.

The secret to a Ducati relationship then is constant engagement. When you begin to feel a lessening of love for your Duc, insist on riding it over the others you may have; move it up in your riding 'key queue'.

It's worth trying to maintain the relationship, because if you sell a Ducati, it's a given you'll later wish you hadn't. The situation is entirely analogous to ditching a high-maintenance lover, only to find she's the one you go to in your dreams.

(OK, that last part may be too melodramatic, but, hey, that's the effect Italian bikes have on me ...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have to admit to feeling like JackN and I've owned it for 6 months...I look at it in the garage and think why the hell did i pay all that money for a bike ( in Oz cost well over $30k otr) .... until I decide to do a commute in sport mode and go bonkers... Ok so it does not have the performance or lightness of my (regrettably sold) S4Rs tricolore, and is probably the ugliest bike I have owned for 20 yrs, but it keeps a better line out of corners under full steam and doesn't dance across the road when I hit corrugations like my other steeds.

Then I throw all my bags and box on and head off into the sunset in Touring mode on some of the roughest roads - my other mounts would have me in to the chiropractor as quick as I can say ouch!

I have only one complaint - fully loaded with panniers, gear, tools, etc, I did a trip with some fellow sport riders through some of the best corners in the country (most rated 25-40km) - one on a an R1, a CBR 1000rr and a VTR1000SP2. I ended up overtaking 2 of them and was nudging the rear tyre of the leader. To give you an idea of speed stones thrown up from the rear tyre shattered my screen and imbedded themselves in my rad guard! So you say what is the complaint - I chewed through the rear scorpion in under 1000kms! Obviously had been taking it easy up to that point as got 6000 kms out of first one!

I love and hate the bike - it does everything so well (panniers could be alot better) but the complexity really annoys me.

Ducati - probably the best handling bike you have ever built!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Absence makes the heart grow fond . . .

. . . except when it doesn't. And then you get rid of it.

Were it me, I'd park it off to the side for a month or two and see if I felt the urge to start riding it again. If that urge didn't come, before I got rid of it I'd take it for a spin, and see if the romance reignites. If no, then it's off to the glue factory.

This assumes you don't need the money or garage space for something you want more. If that be the case, just dump it now.

Regardless, it's a production motorcycle, not a one-off. If you sell it and then decide you wish you still had one, you can always go buy another.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's just a motorcycle. If you don't like it, sell it. Don't overthink it. There's nothing magical about this bike. Plenty of awesome bikes out there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So the Triple ?

I have a 2012 Multi and haven't even ridden it on any significantly long rides yet, just commuting back and forth to work since I got it! It makes a great commuter especially with the Givi top box I installed. But, it is pretty overkill. I could commute on my Street Triple R with a backpack, but I don't find it nearly as fun as the Multi for commuting.

It's natural to want something else at some point, but it would take me a few years to get to that point myself. Trade your '10 for what you want, and come back to the Multi when Ducati releases a new one! The adventure tourer segment is really getting competitive so whatever Ducati replaces the Multi with will have to be stellar.
I want a Street Triple .. do you ride yours much with the Multi next to it? Which did you get first?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are spoiled !!!
Ha, you're probably right! Some people have real problems and I'm worried about how many motorcycles I should keep in the garage.
I think I'm just going to ride it some more and see if the spark ignites again. If not, it'll go up for sale at some point.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts