Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know it's kinda last minute but was out yesterday in the Hudson Valley and it was one of those perfect fall days here,65ish,colors starting to show and will be peak in a couple of weeks.Would be cool to get a few(or more) ST's together.
Thinking about organizing a one day rally in upstate New York.
I know the roads of the HV,Catskills and West Point area very well and will plan out a 100 mile run all twisty,lunch and finish around 4pm as to give most people within a 2 hr radius to get home in the light of day.
If it has any success ,maybe turn it into an annual weekend event.
First suggestion would be to meet in the Bear Mountain/West Point area.Western CT,northeastern NY,Woodstock area could also be possibilities depending on who would be interested and where they were coming from.Try to make it as equidistant as possible.
Maybe meet Saturday night for dinner,single malts and tall stories.Up early for breakfast,7-8am,ride lunch around 1pm,end around 4pm.
Post up if your interested and we can form a plan from reactions.
Michael

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,572 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I have plans (that I can't break) on that weekend, or I would definitely be there!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I have plans (that I can't break) on that weekend, or I would definitely be there!
Sorry you cant do it Mike,I'll PM ya if I get another weekend day off before it get's cold,last year I was ridin well into November comfortably.
Michael

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hell ya Chuck,that's two.Maybe we can embarrass the old codger ST crowd into getting off their orthopedic beds.Now where cookin, ha,ha
Cut'n'paste your name in,...
1-mznyc
2-Chuckracer
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I'll be heading in that direction on the 7th, but in my car on the way to Cortland, NY for a college visit with my daughter. Have fun...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't do Saturday night. Can do Sunday AM.
Where to meet? Breakfast joint?

David.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be heading in that direction on the 7th, but in my car on the way to Cortland, NY for a college visit with my daughter. Have fun...
Sorry you cant make it SS,maybe next time
Can't do Saturday night. Can do Sunday AM.
Where to meet? Breakfast joint?

David.
I'll take the liberty David,
1-mznyc
2-Chuckracer
3-Yorik
4-Wilson
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
We'll figure a meet place once we have a head count and where they're coming from.If no one stays over Saturday,we can meet a little later in the morning ,say 10ish,so as to give guys travel time to get to meet point without having to ride in the dark.I'll start working on a route but if we think Harriman is a good meeting point for everybody I already have a route in mind that I know very well.I'll post a map.
To anyone on the fence keep in mind that Monday is Columbus Day.A holiday for most ,so maybe do the "honeydo" list then:p

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
*** IMPORTANT NOTE***
Forgot to mention this,please make sure all paperwork and bikes are in good shape.If you have any issues please address them this week.We're on temperamental Italian motorcycles so things break.But let's avoid things we can prevent!

***In the event of a washout,since Monday is a holiday, I propose a RAIN DATE MONDAY OCTOBER 8TH,if needed.***

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would love to, but I have plans for that weekend. I just rode through that area on the 15th on my solo trip to Maine. And on my return trip last weekend. There are some great roads in that area.
I'm in central PA. The ride home on Sunday would probably have to be Interstate.

Next year with enough notice would be great.

Tony

·
27,526 Posts
I'm more like 4.5 hours away and being this late in the year with the short days and shorter riding windows, I would just throw the bike in the back of my truck and drive down. Otherwise there would be no window to ride at all.

That's certainly do-able though!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to, but I have plans for that weekend. I just rode through that area on the 15th on my solo trip to Maine. And on my return trip last weekend. There are some great roads in that area.
I'm in central PA. The ride home on Sunday would probably have to be Interstate.

Next year with enough notice would be great.

Tony
Sorry it was short notice Tony maybe next year.
I'm more like 4.5 hours away and being this late in the year with the short days and shorter riding windows, I would just throw the bike in the back of my truck and drive down. Otherwise there would be no window to ride at all.

That's certainly do-able though!
You would win the "Farthest distance traveled" award Chuck
If you want to come in the night before let me know and I'll look for a cheap motel in the area.If no one else needs a motel the night before I may stay at my house and have an extra bed,you'd be welcome to it.
Michael

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
27,526 Posts
Looks good. I've never ridden that area - never even been down there - so it's all great to me! I'm sure you know the good roads, so...whatever! Lead on!

Weather is always dicey this time of year, so everything is "weather permitting" for me. But I could drive down Saturday, that gives us all day Sunday to play and I don't care how late I get home Sunday night.

One of my biggest paranoid fears is staying at a motel with a motorcycle in the back of a pickup truck. That's a two-for-one to a thief and I rarely sleep. Especially some giant well lit mega place in a high traffic area...no. I'd rather find a small mom & pop out of town or a bed and breakfast where I can park out of site...or sleep in the truck.

I'm afraid I'd be cheating big time on any "Farthest Distance Traveled" awards, but thanks for the thought! Maybe we can get Bruce19 to come over on his SS and show us all how it's done!

You want to go "public" with this and move it to Ducati Chat, see if we can snare more N.E. guys or keep it small...just the ST folks (and a party crasher)?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Totally understand about your ride.This area is quite beautiful,mountainous ,sparsely populated and rural.Fort Montgomery is a small town and has a lot of cheap motels and a vigilant police force.Right next to West Point so, crime center of the east it is not.:DI also have extra ratty bike covers so you can keep it under wraps.The best theft prevention IMHO.
My place is is off the grid in the woods so no problem there,leave my doors unlocked most of the time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was taken a mile from my house about an hour ago.Colors just starting to get bold.Should be just short of peak next week.

Attachments

·
7,733 Posts
This was taken a mile from my house about an hour ago.Colors just starting to get bold.Should be just short of peak next week.
This is the *best* time of the year to ride. Though I dread winters, I always look forward to the autumn riding season, brief as it is. Bike runs great, temps are great for wearing gear, roads are clean, no bugs...and those awesome fall colours!!! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts