Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put an exhaust on today, full system that eliminates the flapper but I've left the servo motor in place and connected. I'm also still using the lambda's for now.

I thought (mistakenly) that if I didn't remove or unplug the servo motor I wouldn't get a CEL, since there are no sensors of any kind on the exhaust flapper or associated cable.

That not being the case, it seems that the servo motor is either triggering the CEL when it senses rotation beyond the normal travel because the flapper is no longer limiting it, or it triggers the CEL because there is not enough resistance (load) on the actuator cam once the flapper return spring is not connected.

I'm aware that the Duc.ee will (most times) rectify this, but I'm looking for a short-term solution until I get a chance to either play with DucatiDiag (cables are on the way), or pop for a Nemesis+dyno session.

Anyone have success "faking out" the servo motor?......or have another solution or guidance?

Thanks...:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Soo... Are you saying you are still rocking your stock ecu? Cuz that is what is sounds like to me.

If that is the case, the only thing really you can do is disconnect the physical cables and leave the motor plugged up.

Sent from my...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, stock ecu for now.....the flapper motor is still in place and connected (electrically), the only thing I did was remove the cable from the cam on the servo motor when I removed the stock exhaust and it's flapper valve.

Lambda's are both still inserted in the new pipe and connected as before.

Are you saying that unhooking the cable from the servo motor shouldn't set a CEL?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
The flapper motor can somehow sense improper cable tension with the stock exhaust throwing a cell. From what I understand some have had a cell light after the cable stretches a bit. When the cable is readjusted with the proper amount of cable slack the cell turns off. I haven't experienced this with my SFS but I have experienced this with a Buell. So if you have disconnected the cable but have the motor still plugged in it's just the same as having the cable connected but without the proper cable tension. Both will throw a cell. I think the flapper motor can sense the slight resistance from the flapper spring. Possibly with a slight rise in current draw by the motor pulling on the spring but this is just a guess. I'm not really sure how this works. Sorry but I don't know how to outsmart the system like you asked.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
400 Posts
My understanding on this is that when the cables are removed the motor has no fixed limit stops so you have to create them, desmoworld.de sells a bracket that tricks the motor or as already been stated a Duc-ee will sort it out.

Geoff...:sleep:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input on this, I tend to believe that the motor being "out of range" is the more likely of the two scenarios and being the easiest to try first that's the direction I'll go in.

I can reconnect the flapper long enough to mark the proper stop positions and make a plate to hold that range of motion, and I think I'll plan for the bracket to incorporate a means to attach a spring should the travel-limiter option not work out.

It's really more of an annoyance than anything, but I want to know if a real CEL pops up right away.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a few minutes this afternoon to experiment with the servo motor, and decided adding mechanical limits to the cam might do the trick.

There are two holes cross-drilled in the plastic cam wheel for cable ends to slide into, but only one is used for the flapper cable so I ran a tap through the unused hole and screwed a short bolt into it with just the head protruding (leaving the other hole unmolested so it's still usable if the need ever arises).

I temporarily reconnected the flapper cable and valve and with the motor running I scribed two lines indicating the proper fully-open and fully-closed positions on the body of the servo motor.

Then I added an L-shaped metal plate that covers the cam wheel and just clears the bolt head. I drilled two small holes so that pop rivets snapped in the holes protruded through and stopped the cam in both directions of travel at the right spot.

A test before remounting the servo motor cleared the CEL, so I put it all back together and took a short ride to be sure, and it appears to have worked.

So it seems the CEL is thrown by an out-of-range condition rather than any lack of return spring tension, but time will tell.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mr S, the cats' walking on your keyboard again......:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts