Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,335 Posts
Has anybody tried these? :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...m41bba99a40:m:mYyIFJcliBW-_vXO_TA0JaA&vxp=mtr

Exhausts are RIDICULOUSLY expensive where I live considering I earn peanuts.

2 real Akrapovic Slip-ons cost just short of 2 months pay.
For a tenth of the price, I can get 2 fake slip-ons and have the bends welded in.

Any input would be fantastic.
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Acrapovic is a name brand because they have the equipment and the expertise to make exhaust systems that make HP. That is really important when you are talking about a full system. But frankly mufflers are not rocket science and one is not much different from another. If you were doing a full system I'd say stay away but when you change the mufflers you are changing the system that was engineered as a whole - so it doesnt matter which muffler you use - its still not working as designed. If you can find a way to tune it after the changed you should be just fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As enticing as it may be, I would think these we made as cheaply as possible, with not much thought given to the performance. Now part of the listing I think is lost in Chinese -> English translation. When you read "universal fit", substitute "fits nothing out of the box, and requires extensive modification to fit what you need it to".

That's my 2c.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay for a set of used pipes, or look into a 2nd tier manufacturer like delkevic/danmoto.

The fake ebay slip ons are made with the worst materials possible, will not fit worth a shit, and will be more of a hassle then they are worth.

My advice is deal with the stock exhaust until you have money to cover a decent after market system. I have even heard the fake Chinese SC Proj/Akra pipes are made with carcinogenic materials. Is it really worth it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay for a set of used pipes, or look into a 2nd tier manufacturer like delkevic/danmoto.

The fake ebay slip ons are made with the worst materials possible, will not fit worth a shit, and will be more of a hassle then they are worth.

My advice is deal with the stock exhaust until you have money to cover a decent after market system. I have even heard the fake Chinese SC Proj/Akra pipes are made with carcinogenic materials. Is it really worth it?

Exactly. I would just buy used if you need to save money. I had a delkevic on my sv650 a while ago (first bike). It worked for that bike but I wouldn’t get one for a duc.

I look at my Duc like a hot chick that needs to be spoiled with nice things and complains a lot. When she’s ready to play nice though, she always puts a big smile on my face. Not to mention she makes for nice arm candy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Only personal impressions and "I heard of"... No first hand experience.

I say try it Daniel , could be perfect. Give us your feedback after a while.

just accept the fact that you may loose a hundred bucks on this test.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The name brand stuff is priced really high. 2 months worth of peanuts for an exhaust is ridiculous, imho. :eek:

I can't even see spending a weeks worth of peanuts on an aftermarket slip on. The stock item sounds good and looks good to me. OK, maybe not as good as Termis, but close enough to spend my money on something else. :think:

·
Vendor
547 Posts
just accept the fact that you may loose a hundred bucks on this test.
And maybe a couple of HP.

When the E900 was being closed out in 1996, 3 of us bought them one after the other.

At the time the cheapie canister was a D&D at about $350.

The other 2 guys bought the D&D but I held off as I wanted to know if it actually did make more power or only sounded like it did.

After about 6 months I got the chance to get right off my bike and get on my buddies that had a D&D.

Everything else about the bikes was the same.

His certainly sounded more powerful but when I rode it, it spun up through the revs slower and had less torque and HP.

And that was in comparison to the stock can which had a catalytic converter.

So, the stock bikes come with a tuned exhaust and just putting a straight through can on the end of the header doe not necessarily mean you will get better performance.

Modern engines are usually tuned using some some back pressure which a straight through can often does not have.

Also, cheap cans often blow out the fiberglass packing on an ongoing basis.

Hope this helps.

M./

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention that one of the other reasons for why I want different cans is that the previous owner of my bike dropped it and the right hand can is scratched and dented to s**t, so its mainly cosmetic.

So after doing some in-depth research of the Fake Akrapovics, I found out that the fakes are actually identical to the real ones except for one main difference, The fakes "carbon fibre" is hydro dipped while the real one is obviously real carbon fibre, other than that, they're actually built quite well.
The innards are exactly the same, decently packed fibre glass and a decent perforated baffle, all most as if its manufactured by the same people.
One of the problems Yoshimura was and is facing is that the same factory in Japan manufactures the exact same exhaust and sells it for a fraction of the price (that doesnt happen with Akrapovic as everything is in house).

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust is the most overpriced accessory you can buy for a motorcycle. Stock exhaust is restricted and almost anything will outflow it. I have bought used brand name stuff and also cheap aftermarket with no issues. Of course, the promise of a quality product is there with name brand stuff, but not having a big name doesn’t mean you’re getting junk. You’re just not getting that cool sticker on the muffler.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
If the bike has a cat then the slip on is 95% decoration and 5% sound adjustment (0% performance). In that case pretty much anything that fits will work just fine... you could even just put a straight pipe on.

If the bike doesn't have a cat then you need to be more careful - I'd avoid knock-offs because they'll have zero functional design work in them (other than making them look like the Akro or whatever).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
As others have said, if the CAT is not part of the muffler and still in the system, then aftermarket mufflers are for looks, some sound, and maybe drop a couple lbs. At the end of the day, a 2" hole is a 2" hole, they will flow pretty much the same.

That said, I have used cheap mufflers like the Danmoto on my GSX-R750 and it looked and sounded great. Also consider that when you drop the bike, the first thing to get banged up is the muffler. You want to replace a $125 can, or an $800 can? haha

My Monster came with the full Termi kit, but I would never spend $2800 on an exhaust. But the prior owner did, so I have it I guess.

My 1198, I removed the stock mufflers and gutted them. I bought some stainless steel 2" perforated steel tubing, and picked up a couple bags of glass muffler packing from Cycle Gear, and made my own straight through baffles, and riveted it all back together and it looked stock, but sounded like Termi's. Invested less than $100 and spent a few hours tinkering in the garage. Sounded glorious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I read, all the 796's (other than the US spec) have cats but in the muffler's itself, considering I'm in South Africa, I fall under European Spec.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
From what I read, all the 796's (other than the US spec) have cats but in the muffler's itself, considering I'm in South Africa, I fall under European Spec.
Well, in that case you will likely need a tune. But with all the money you save by not getting an $800 slipon, you can get it tuned and have a better running bike...

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Well, in that case you will likely need a tune. But with all the money you save by not getting an $800 slipon, you can get it tuned and have a better running bike...
Given that you're going to remove your cat I'd suggest getting a pipe designed for a decatted bike... otherwise it's going to be insanely loud. If you get a generic 'slip-on' for a modern bike it'll probably be wide open (expecting the cat to do all the noise management).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used many exhausts on my 2 valve Ducs, and by far my favorite for sound is the stainless Delkevics. They blow away the Arrows, and are just a bit quieter than the Termis on my other two. I cannot say anything about the Akras, because they always seem to cost more than I am willing to spend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So my last question is, considering the cats would be removed, there would theoretically be a loss of back pressure which in turn should cause the bike to run lean. Now that being said, would the ECU not be able to compensate and adjust the Air Flow mixture by its self without a tune? (considering that it is injected and not carb)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts