Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the left side fairing a few days ago and i guess i didnt put the belly pan part back on right so when i rode on the freeway both the left and right got caught by the wind and flew up on each side like wings. needless to say it was ripped from the frame except at the cowl and now i have to try and put them back on. The major problem is that the black piece that sticks out from the frame to attache the fairing broke at the tip so i cant screw them down is there a way to replace or fix them? also my 750 was originally a half faired model and the guy i bought them from put a full set on and they dont fit right if i could get some advice on that also would be nice please help :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can order those from any Ducati dealership. Look up the part number(s) in the spare parts catalogs on Ducati.com.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You might find that replacing those fairing pieces is way too expensive. If so, consider going to an Aftermarket fairing like the Sharkskinz. Its much less expensive and cleans up the look (only two pieces instead of five). You will, however, have to get it painted and there are no front turn signal depressions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fairings are actually ok its just the bluck rubber pieces that they screw into on the frame that broke. i will order the parts from the dealer

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Well nuts "black rubber bits" Is this what you mean?

These are the "black rubber bits" that proliferate the 98+ bikes at least.

These guys provided excellent delivery to Australia and excellent price.

http://desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

Richard

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot guys for the help. my last question is how i would screw the fairings down properly. this is originally a half faired bike so there are no points to attatch the lower screws to the bike is there something i can do or add to make this happen?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Full fairing mounting

I just knocked this up for you. Ignore the filthy bike please! This was taken just after removing the fairings for the first time in a long time.

Also use this link, then click on the download button for "exploded" diagrams of parts.
http://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ss900ie_usa-00

Richard

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,251 Posts
On my '96 there are no rear fairing mounts at the lower engine case. Each side attaches at the headlight fairing with two screws, the center one like yours that the well nut blew out, one at the forward end and two below the motor that attaches to the other side. The center well nuts blew out on mine, as well. To fix that I cut a solid aluminum rod the same length as the hollow tube. I drilled then tapped threads in each end, no more well nuts there. I plan to do the same for the forward mounts but right now the well nuts are still holding.

"in God we trust"

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fairing arm dimensions

The attachment shows dimensions of the components from my 2001 900SSie in case you have to make them or work out where the fairing should sit.

Richard

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
This time with the PDF

OOPS

The attachment shows dimensions of the components from my 2001 900SSie in case you have to make them or work out where the fairing should sit.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow thanks for the help mines is a 99 750 ss but it looks exactly like that. any idea where to find those parts or would i have to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wait never mind you put that in also your awesome but i was wondering if you knew what wellnut sizes went in m4, m5 or m6.

i just realized something this place you reffered me to desmoparts is in houston and is 30 minutes from my house lol. im just gonna take it down to them and buy the parts there.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Well nuts are M5

All the well nuts on the bike are M5.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Well nut length is circa 16mm

I bought 30 to redo the whole bike plus some spares, as some had perished/cracked.

Richard

All the well nuts on the bike are M5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would really like to find a place to just buy those parts but i cant find anything on the net. i found places to buy the well nuts but as far as the spacers and the short arm parts i cant find or the brake mount nut.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Spacers/arms

You could get them made out of aluminium or steel rod, which is why I posted the dimensions in case you got stuck.

The nut on the brake is 18mm long and is tapped to accept an M6 bolt. The short arm on the other side is 50mm long and is also tapped to accept an M6 bolt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts