Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the two screws at the bottom of my 999's fairings is spinning in the threaded insert. I can't get it out. Short of cutting the plastic tab (and only using one screw to keep the two sides together), anyone have any suggestions for how to get the screw out?

Thanks
C

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Reach in and either with your hand or pliers grab hold of the well nut TIGHT and then unscrew the screw. Should be able to reach in from behind/the rear.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
It's a dzus fastener right....even if it has an allen head.....it's at the bottom so you'll probably not see any damage if you grab it w/ a pair of needle nose vise grips or common vise grips and pull out as your turning. If you're afraid of damaging the surrounding paint tape it off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks Mad, I'll try that.
The hex nut is intact--it just spins in the well nut. I must have augured out the threads in the well nut.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's looks hard to reach but if you lay down and stick your hand inside the fairing from the bottom you can reach all the way to both those two front/bottom fairing screws. If the one at the very front is stripped remove the one before it....helps to get your hand in better. Don't bother trying to take the chin guard/radiator guard off and go in that way...it's looks tempting but neither you hand or plyers fit. Just simply reach in from the back. I keep a spare stock of the Those rubber groments compress nuts as after a few uses they do tend to just spin. Sometimes too if you apply downward pressure to the allen head while turning it (like putting a platic item between the screw head and fairing, it may be enough to stop the groment from spinning and get the allen screw to come out.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
It's looks hard to reach but if you lay down and stick your hand inside the fairing from the bottom you can reach all the way to both those two front/bottom fairing screws. If the one at the very front is stripped remove the one before it....helps to get your hand in better. Don't bother trying to take the chin guard/radiator guard off and go in that way...it's looks tempting but neither you hand or plyers fit. Just simply reach in from the back. I keep a spare stock of the Those rubber groments compress nuts as after a few uses they do tend to just spin. Sometimes too if you apply downward pressure to the allen head while turning it (like putting a platic item between the screw head and fairing, it may be enough to stop the groment from spinning and get the allen screw to come out.
A well nut , the same as used on the windscreen screws? I thought all Ducati fairing fasteners are Dzus fasteners, either with a little twister handle on an allen headed type. My 999 has one dzus on the bottom near the front cowl.
I just checked the parts fiche and they did go to a threaded insert for 2004...that's odd. Just drill the cap of the screw and push it through..then get a couple of dzus quick fasteners and use them. I just put a bit of red duct tape over mine to keep it from falling out. Good luck! Let us know how you make out?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Nope, my 999 bikes had well nuts on the very bottom fairing...those that hold the sides together at the bottom...the others are dzus plus the screws at top

A well nut , the same as used on the windscreen screws? I thought all Ducati fairing fasteners are Dzus fasteners, either with a little twister handle on an allen headed type. My 999 has one dzus on the bottom near the front cowl.
I just checked the parts fiche and they did go to a threaded insert for 2004...that's odd. Just drill the cap of the screw and push it through..then get a couple of dzus quick fasteners and use them. I just put a bit of red duct tape over mine to keep it from falling out. Good luck! Let us know how you make out?

·
Registered
857 Posts
The bottom ones spinning out is a common thing... While you're at it, convert them to DZUS as well..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
don't grab with vise grips and do a "strong pull" you will end up with fairing peices on the floor. Those well nuts have a heafty shoulder when even slightly compressed and for sure you will break the mounting tab and crack your fairing doing that.

for clarity were talking those two well nuts on the bottom front faring which hold the sides together. Not sure what the drill, tape and yank advice was for ...but for those well nuts that approach will result in a broken fairing or tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
After spending 1 1/2 hrs taking mine out I converted to Dzus, there is a thread on this. If you can get a long pair on hemostats or some short needle nose pliers you (or some one with small hands) can reach up in there and hold the wellnut (excuse me M*****F****** wellnut) and turn the bolt from the outside. Well nuts have a brass insert marginally held by a rubber casing that expands when you tighten it. You have to squeeze the rubber hard enough to capture the brass insert. or it will just spin forever.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WellNuts = PITA

I will convert. I finally got it out after releasing the two back/lower fairing screws so I could flair out the bottom and really get a good grip with pliers. Only then could I keep the threaded brass insert from spinning.

Dzus, here I come.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Racebolts.com and but a 9/32 drill bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts