Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left hand mirror fell off yesterday as I was putting the cover on yesterday...Damn, okay...how hard can it be to fix. Today, I try the simple fix to rehook that spring from the outside...no that's not gonna work, okay - gotta take it off so I can do the spring from the base side. That means I've got to take the upper fairing apart...

So in doing that I find that for one of those bolts on the top/outside next to the windscreen that the last/first time it was assembled the bolt was crossthreaded into the brass insert inside. I got it apart, but the bolt/insert were so jammed together - someone with a power wrench I bet - that the insert pulled out of the plastic boss inside. Tried to fix the insert, but there no hope. I did manage to get it all back together same for the one without dropping any tools or screws in the engine!

So my question is, can I buy more of those brass inserts? and how do I now anchor that in the plastic below? Any ideas? BTW, figured out a slick way to rehook the spring!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi Mike,

I am trying to figure out which or what brass insert you are referring to; what screws into it, is it a dashcover?
Can you do a photo for us?

You don't mean a well nut do you?

Craig

·
Registered
209 Posts
there is a threaded brass insert in the well nut. i think that is the subject, i have one like that to, for the dash panel, the insert pulled out of the rubber.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what screw it is

I'll do a Pic tomorrow - This the screw on the outside (or top or front depending on how you want to look at it) around the edge of the windshield. Coincidentally happens to be nearest to the left rear view mirror. On the underside is the big panel that has the instruments....the screw from the top goes into a brass or some metal like that insert pressed into the underside piece and clamps the two pieces onto the windshield - this brass insert is what is bunged up. This is NOT those rubber well nuts down at the bottom of that inner piece.

As clever as the designers of the engine and electronic parts are, this whole upper, middle and lower fairing design with multiple fastener types and two different hex key sizes is a never ending frustration for me.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I'll do a Pic tomorrow - This the screw on the outside (or top or front depending on how you want to look at it) around the edge of the windshield. Coincidentally happens to be nearest to the left rear view mirror. On the underside is the big panel that has the instruments....the screw from the top goes into a brass or some metal like that insert pressed into the underside piece and clamps the two pieces onto the windshield - this brass insert is what is bunged up. This is NOT those rubber well nuts down at the bottom of that inner piece.

As clever as the designers of the engine and electronic parts are, this whole upper, middle and lower fairing design with multiple fastener types and two different hex key sizes is a never ending frustration for me.
I'm hearing ya

I bought the brackets off Desmotimes to make things easier, I just wish I had of done the Dzus fasteners at the same time.
I'm still not sure which insert your talking about, so I'll wait for the photo.

Craig

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Option 1: This may or may not help, but is it possible to take a spare well nut, and burn off the rubber holding onto it. It helps if it's a "retired" nut. Not sure if the size would be too big or small, but the threads would be the same.

Option 2: The insert is probably the same as what is used in the side panel. If your side panel has one of these broken, maybe borrow it from there and repair the side panel with a wellnut remnant. Just a thought.

Option 3: chase the threads on the cross threaded insert and use it if possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which?

Pic attached. That's the left hand mirror stalk in the lower right corner, pic take from bike front, looking toward the back. Lighting was bad, bike really looks much better.

Thought about chasing out the one I have, and I don't have much to loose besides the cost of the tool. Trading this one for another one somewhere else doesn't really seem to help me, and I don't have any 'retired' ones.

Someone said "bought the brackets from Desmotimes" - I know DT, but what brackets???

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
So, you are talking about the brass insert in the plastic fairing piece, right? Like suggested, I'd first try a tap on it. If that doesn't work, the only option I see is to:

1) Replace the panel
2) Drill the brass piece out from the back side of the panel and epoxy the brass insert from a wellnut or just a brass nut in its place.

I've cross-threaded a wellnut before and didn't even notice until I had to remove it, and I don't use power drivers. So I can see where someone might have done that even without a driver. Much more likely with one though, I'll agree with that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the brass insert. No problem getting it out :( as it broke free from the plastic when I tried to unscrew it. Still think it was some line worker with a power tool as I had to hold the insert with channel locks to get the screw out later. I guess I'll drop by my dealer and see what they think, but I'll probably be buying a tap and see what happens. Pretty sure I'm not going to replace that panel...I'll bet they get $1000 for one.

Thanks!

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
1) Why did you unscrew the windshield?

2) It's just a normal wellnut, get a new one. They often seize up if not lubricated or overtightened.

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1) Why did you unscrew the windshield?
I had to get to the bolts holding the rear view mirror on so I could reattach that after it was knocked off. I think the mirror wasn't installed correctly by the original selling dealer because that insert was seized then, thus the mirror was just kind of jury rigged on. The only way I could figure out to do that was to detach the base from the fairing, which is what started the whole mess. Mirror is back, better than ever :))

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Option 3: chase the threads on the cross threaded insert and use it if possible.
Can anyone tell me what size tap I need to buy to do this? Or how to figure it out? The insert I have is probably too bunged up to use it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I'm looking at your picture correctly that's just a regular Ducati insert- part #85040821A. It should cost around $3 at your dealer.

BTW, you don't need to remove the top part of the fairing to get at the mirror bolts. You need to work from the inside and remove the plastic pieces surrounding the instrument panel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts