Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 ST4s with complete service records and 32,000 miles on her. She also has a Power Commander, heated grips and a Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder on her. I've owned her for almost three years, done several full day trips and a trip from Vancouver to LA on her with no problems and feel she's in very good condition.

While conducting my morning scan of CL ads the other day, I happened upon an '04 999 with 16,000 miles on her. The guy claimed to have bought it as his first bike (middle-aged guy with wife and three kids) and had decided that perhaps a sport tourer was the way to go. I've never owned a superbike before and want to try my hand at one while my reflexes give me half a chance of surviving the ordeal, so I asked if he was interested in a trade and went to take a look.

She appeared well taken care of, with DP mirrors, a CF clutch cover and Termi exhaust (not sure if its just the end can or a full system). Other than that, she looked stock. Subsequent to the visit, I sent him my setvice records and he replied back that he was embarressed to say that he didn't have anything similar (perhaps understandable, being a first time buyer?) but did agree to a professional pre-purchase inspection. Then yesterday he emailed me that another potential purchaser did a VIN check and the bike had some right fairing repairs done in '07, although the previous owner didn't disclose this. This would explain the aftermarket mirrors and clutch cover.

My question is twofold, whether the collective genius thinks that it would be a fair straight-up trade and whether a pre-purchase inspection would reveal the things that I would typically look for in the service records (he's going to contact the local dealer today to see if they have records). I'm not looking at future value, just a reasonably reliable superbike experience.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Seems like you both get what you want. Win Win. Do it!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would do it pending a pro look at the frame and engine to see that there is no damage. It's funny about the 999... I've always liked it and it's picking up some followers now more than ever.

·
Registered
998 Posts
So your ST4 is worth maybe $6000 if you could get it.
His 04 999 16k is probably worth at least 6k also, it doesn't take to much fr an insurance co to total these when you start talking fairing parts. If it's not a salvage title, probably not to bad damage.
Seems like a FAIR trade, if it's what YOU want, don't worry about waht HE wants.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As long as the titles are clean, I'd say a straight across trade would be in your favor, even if the 999 is flawed. But then again, I find myself lusting after the xx9's....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just go for it! I have an 02 ST4s and my brother has a 03 999. It' s not as usable as an ST4s but as you use to her it' s a great bike! In my opinion take it to an expert to have a look at it and if it' s ok go on!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts