Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my 2006 999 apart and found that the main rod bearing on the vertical cylinder is shot. There was a lot of play on the piston and all the carbon on the outer ring of the piston is worn off. Looks like the mechanical noise I was hearing was actually the piston hitting the head. Doesn’t seem like the valves got beat up. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? The bike only has 2000 miles on it! I have heard that some of the 999’s had oil pumps coming from the factory out of spec. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think this issue is for poor lubrification

you have to split completely the engine ot check the other conrod and

crankshaft if it's worn:eek: then you have to find what's wrong

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Have you owned the bike since day one? Has it been dropped or on its side while running?

Crank bearing failures are very common with motorcycles that loose oil pressure. The #1 cause of that is a low side crash, where the motor is still running, for a brief moment. This is one of the many reasons, Ducati moved to a deep sump motor in the later models (like you have), but doesn't mean it resolved the issue completely.

If you've never been to the track, haven't dropped the bike and have changed the oil properly always... umm, the bike was probably assembled from the factory improperly. I'd pull the crank and make sure there isn't any other damage. You should send the crank out to get re-tooled if you have bad crank bearings, its vital to have that mating surface perfect.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did buy the bike with 800miles on it. I do know the guy I bought it from though and I’m pretty sure he didn’t lay it over or anything. He has a couple BMW’s, a Honda tourer, and MV Agusta F4. He just didn’t like the dry clutch.
There really is not a scratch on the entire bike. As for oil, the only time the oil was ever changed was at the 600 mile service performed by Ducati.
We will be splitting the case soon to see what might have caused the issue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have you owned the bike since day one? Has it been dropped or on its side while running?

Crank bearing failures are very common with motorcycles that loose oil pressure. The #1 cause of that is a low side crash, where the motor is still running, for a brief moment. This is one of the many reasons, Ducati moved to a deep sump motor in the later models (like you have), but doesn't mean it resolved the issue completely.

If you've never been to the track, haven't dropped the bike and have changed the oil properly always... umm, the bike was probably assembled from the factory improperly. I'd pull the crank and make sure there isn't any other damage. You should send the crank out to get re-tooled if you have bad crank bearings, its vital to have that mating surface perfect.
+1 usually that happens when the bike is starving for oil, like for example when it is leaned on its side...though they should have a lean angle sensor....

it happened this saturday during an AFM event, my buddy crashed his bike, and it ran for a little on its side, when out again and popped the rod through the case and shaved the starter into the oil cooler...really graphic but at the end it was a rod bearing :think:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have put 1200, all upright, miles on the bike since I bought it from the original owner. I understand that it you starve the bearing it would fail right away. Even if the previous owner ran the bike on its side, replaced all the scratched or damaged parts, and sold the bike without riding it; I doubt it would have lasted that long without indications. I am trying to figure out if it is possible the clearance was set wrong from the factory, or maybe the journal had some waviness the would prevent proper lubrication. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
It could have been a manufacturer defect... One other member of the forum had a bearing failure in his 999R with low mileage and his bike had NOT been down.

I had a 748S that was tracked before I bought it with 2700 miles on the clock. It lasted until around 12k before the bearings failed. I knew the bike had been down, so I blame oil starvation for it failing.

I really think you should write Ducati NA a letter and explain your situation. Sure its out of warranty, but they should help you out, the bike is almost new. The only catch is, you're not the original owner. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
724 Posts
So I have put 1200, all upright, miles on the bike since I bought it from the original owner. I understand that it you starve the bearing it would fail right away. Even if the previous owner ran the bike on its side, replaced all the scratched or damaged parts, and sold the bike without riding it; I doubt it would have lasted that long without indications. I am trying to figure out if it is possible the clearance was set wrong from the factory, or maybe the journal had some waviness the would prevent proper lubrication. Any thoughts?
When started cold, do you just let it idle, keeping the revs real low, let it warm up, or do a lot of throttle blipping or ride off right away (higher revs) before it has a chance to get the oil circulating completely? Over a short period of time (if the latter) could prematurely wear the bearing out, or at least start damage. Also, what kind of oil?

Just a thought..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Naa... Its a modern Ducati, its a testastretta, oil pressure builds almost instantaneously. I've got 10k miles on my 848, I don't let it warm up, I also don't rev it at all...[/QUOTE]

Still a possibility no matter. The load on the bearings is extream with no oil to cushion them. I've seen people rev the engine and keep blipping the throttle because I guess they think its cool. Blast off with high revs and they wonder why their engines don't last. Go Figure:rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I di hear once that long wheelies can cause engine oil starvation....but didnt they cure that with the deep sump...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
[/[/B]QUOTE]

Still a possibility no matter. The load on the bearings is extream with no oil to cushion them. I've seen people rev the engine and keep blipping the throttle because I guess they think its cool. Blast off with high revs and they wonder why their engines don't last. Go Figure:rolleyes:
+1 rode with a guy who started his bike cold and then fast idled it at 5,000rpm's.''cause your supposed to use the choke lever all the way''

1 - 12 of 12 Posts