Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, this very morning, I was warming up my 900SS. I got a rag and some spray cleaner and was touching her up as it warmed up. I have done this 1000 times....until today. The rag hung a little too low and got sucked into the cam belt. It wrapped itself around the gear under the cover on the horizontal cylinder. I have Speedy Moto covers and as soon as I felt the rag get pulled I killed the engine. I was pretty quick to kill it. Like really quick, but who is to say I was quick enough. I removed the cover, removed the rag, and put the cover back on. I started the bike, it started. I rode it around for a bit. About the only thing I can say is that it sputters off the line, like lacked grunt, but other than that, it seemed okay but I don't want to take any chances so I put it back in the garage. When this happens, do you just assume you screwed up something and take it to the shop immediately? Does it make a certain noise if something bad happened? Would a simple valve adjustment solve the problem or do you assume the worst, such as bent or broken valves, or even worse? Now that this has happened I'm hypersensitive to any noise and I may be hearing things that have always been there but I'm paranoid. Anyone ever done this (not that too many would admit it)? What kind of things might I have done to my beloved engine?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,
you might have bent a valve but most likely the belt jumped the pulley and your cam timing is off. Reset the timing and take it for another ride. If it still seems weak with the corrected timing then you have probably bent a valve.

Gray

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yikes. That really sucks man. I hate to say it, but even in the span of 1 second between the rag getting sucked and you killing the engine, that engine rotated about 18 times assuming it was around 1k rpm. Fast in our world is a lifetime in an engine's.

Here's the best plan of action IMO. Pop the covers and do a valve check. Any damage to valves will show up there. Bent valves are probably the worst case scenario. Valve guides/rockers might be an issue too. I would definitely inspect the belts and check your tensions there.

If you can't do it yourself, get a nearby forum member to help. If you can't do that either, definitely take it to a shop. A $200 valve check/adjustment is going to look like a great deal a month from now if or when the S hits the F.

I actually do the same thing, but I have the stock belt covers. Maybe use a kleenex in the future ;)

Let us all know what you find out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh

I'm taking it to the local Ducati shop. Makes me sick. I f'd up my baby. I hate preventable mistakes. I'm always on my wife and kids about them and then here I do something that was totally preventable. Crow is a tough bird to chew.

·
Registered
836 Posts
yeah re check the timing and a simple compression test will find a bent valve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Eeeeek, sucky! its possible the tensioner moved and that has allowed the timing to be off slightly due to a slack belt. check timing and tension, if its still running off it may have bent a valve, but I'd sugest it doesn't sound like it has, as chances are it would only be running on one, as the engine would have no compression on that cylinder.

oh, ditch the after market covers and put the stock ones back on - if the rag got drawn in, so could a stone or other road debris and break the belt - you may not be so lucky next time!

·
Hammer Down
1,654 Posts
I'm always on my wife and kids about them and then here I do something that was totally preventable. Crow is a tough bird to chew.
That sounds like Karma but I don't laugh b/c I've eaten crow many times myself.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
954 Posts
Eeeeek, sucky! its possible the tensioner moved and that has allowed the timing to be off slightly due to a slack belt. check timing and tension, if its still running off it may have bent a valve, but I'd sugest it doesn't sound like it has, as chances are it would only be running on one, as the engine would have no compression on that cylinder.

oh, ditch the after market covers and put the stock ones back on - if the rag got drawn in, so could a stone or other road debris and break the belt - you may not be so lucky next time!
+1.

Could have had your fingers in there...

- and dont say "That will never happen!"

You said that about the rag. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
oh, ditch the after market covers and put the stock ones back on - if the rag got drawn in, so could a stone or other road debris and break the belt - you may not be so lucky next time![/QUOTE]
+ 1
good luck
show parts belong on show bikes
would never run my four cam with out covers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts