61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Matt
638 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
To quote the late Gregg Rammel - "I believe the source of the oil leak traces back to your crankcase".

Gregg passed away last year. Talented at what he did...and witty too.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/revscycle-scene-living-ride-motor-city-bike-guru-creates-center-exclusive-timeless
Hahahahahaha... LOVE that! Excellent article by the way, thanks for the link. Although not attributed to Rammel, this quote resonates, at least for me:

"Those old Triumphs, Ducati Singles, Super Hawks, and Knuckleheads in our garages are probably at least as wonderful as we always suspected they were, well worth caring for and passing along."

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, after some crummy weather the last week or so, we finally got a couple of good riding days. There is most definitely a leak from the Vertical Head/Cylinder gasket.

The gasket on the Horizontal Cylinder Inspection Cover is also leaking, which is apparently what doused the oil cooler and started this entire thread. So... I guess I'll be doing a rebuild over the winter. It's been almost 10 years since I bought her and did the last full rebuild. As I'm going to be "going deep" with regards to the assembly structure, I think I'll have the Ohlins fronts and rear serviced, and get the radiator/oil cooler "serviced" as well.

As I did the first time, I'm going to be looking for help from this community with this. So my question for you all is this: Should I start a new thread which is specific to the rebuild or continue on with this one?

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,525 Posts
Prof... did you retension those head bolts?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Prof... did you retension those head bolts?
I broke fastener tension on each of the cylinder head stud nuts, and then re-tensioned in a cross pattern. However, without the Ducati Cylinder Head Torque Wrench tool the amount of torque on each of these is a guestimate at best.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,525 Posts
I broke fastener tension on each of the cylinder head stud nuts, and then re-tensioned in a cross pattern. However, without the Ducati Cylinder Head Torque Wrench tool the amount of torque on each of these is a guestimate at best.

Can't you use a spring balance on the end of the wrench?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts