Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been taking advantage of the phenomenal weather we've been having here in the northeast... noticed a touch of oil on the fairing when I moved her back into my office after today's ride. Just got the fairings off...

It appears to be isolated to the cooler itself. I've already cleaned it and plan to start her tomorrow and see if I can locate the source. I've not looked at what one of these costs, but every time something on this bike has gone south the price always ends up being around an arm and a leg. :rolleyes:

Anyone with an oil cooler equipped Desmoquattro ever seen this type of failure before?

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
hard to tell from the picture --is it leaking from the banjo union?--if so take the banjo bolt out clean everything --replace the crush rings on both sides of the bold then torque to spec

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
You have my sympathy on that, and I have need dealt with that before.

Make sure that it isn't the hose leaking at the fitting. And if you are going to replace it on your own, take care when tightening the hoses back on. They don't take much torque and break easily with too much torque.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
hard to tell from the picture --is it leaking from the banjo union?--if so take the banjo bolt out clean everything --replace the crush rings on both sides of the bold then torque to spec
Based on my observation from almost 2000 miles away I'd say it's not the banjo bolt because there's no evidence of oil coming down from it's attachment point to the ell fitting that connects to the "radiator." I'm thinking it's the ell fitting itself. Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth...

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @rennsportmotorrad and @Namor... will check the fittings tomorrow when I start her. I can say that the banjo fittings look extraordinarily clean... no oil on them or the base of the threaded fitting. The feed lines are above the oil level in the sump correct? In other words, it would appear that I can remove the cooler without having to drain the oil... is this a safe assumption?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clean it and then cover the area with talcum powder, the leak will stick out like digs balls.
That sir is a VERY good idea... and it also reminds me of a joke which is perhaps a bit too colorful for this forum... wait... what am I saying. This is Ducati.ms...

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on my observation from almost 2000 miles away I'd say it's not the banjo bolt because there's no evidence of oil coming down from it's attachment point to the ell fitting that connects to the "radiator." I'm thinking it's the ell fitting itself. Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth...
That was my initial thought as well... that being said, I can't count the number of times I've made an assumption which later proved to be either completely wrong, or not wide enough in scope. :rolleyes:

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,525 Posts
If it's the cooler then I'd just remove it and configure it like a normal 748 which don't have one.
I ride my 853 pretty hard up here without one in northern tropical Oz with no oil temperature issues.. It's just something else to go wrong that you don't need.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Re-examining the photo again it appears that the oil concentration is at the front of the cooler with a slight wrap around flow to its rear portion. That suggests a possible leak somewhere other than the fitting I mentioned earlier. Regardless, I like Davy's suggestion and look forward to the rest of the story. :)

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Clean it and then cover the area with talcum powder, the leak will stick out like digs balls.
Thank you for taking credit for my idea>:)
Foot spray is far better than powdered talc. Easier to use.
Be aware that Johnston & Johnston were successfully sued because apparently talc causes ovarian cancer. And in these times I’m not allowed to assume you have or don’t have ovaries. >:)

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,525 Posts
:laugh:
Thank you for taking credit for my idea>:)
Foot spray is far better than powdered talc. Easier to use.
Be aware that Johnston & Johnston were successfully sued because apparently talc causes ovarian cancer. And in these times I’m not allowed to assume you have or don’t have ovaries. >:)

Rob as you know I been using that method since the early 80's in the marine trade so credit where it's due :wink2:As for the dogs balls... you can have all the credit you want for that bit >:)
And any more talk of ovaries and I'll have you winched up as that was why that last one got sent up.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
:laugh:

Rob as you know I been using that method since the early 80's in the marine trade so credit where it's due :wink2:As for the dogs balls... you can have all the credit you want for that bit >:)
And any more talk of ovaries and I'll have you winched up as that was why that last one got sent up.
:surprise::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts