Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

EXTREMELY light clutch pull

4394 Views 29 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  breakout
Would this be due to a clutch that's reaching the end of it's life?

I'm able to pull my clutch with just my middle finger.

Granted, I've got the Evoluzione slave cylinder, and DP levers, but still.

Sometimes, when I pull in the clutch, it's like I get an air bubble in the line, because it will just collapse to the bar (well, if my fingers weren't in the way). But I'm still able to shift, which shouldn't happen if there were an air bubble in the line, right?

I know my clutch is on it's way out, I'm just curious as to these things and why they would be happening.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4,006 Posts
My 1998 ST2 use to give me an "empty feel" to the lever...only when I was doing "spirited" driving. Not sure of the real rationale, but cleaning up (the dust and crud) the throw-out bearing cured the problem.

Are you sure the clutch is releasing when the lever is pulled during the EXTREMELY light clutch pull? It's possible to shift the bike without use of the clutch. But not recommended!!!!

When mine would miss-clutch, I would shift also, but it's a rider's instinct/reflex, and I know my clutch wasn't really releasing.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this was on both up and down shifting.

I know that upshifting is easier to do without pulling the clutch in, and it generally won't be very violent sounding.

However, no matter if it is an up or a down shift, it will shift without much fuss at all. Unlike if I don't have the clutch disengaged and I try to down shift and it makes all kinds of henous noises.

· Registered
714 Posts
Can you still find neutral at a stand still (with the engine running)? Your springs may be weak. I do not think wore out plates can give that feel. Air in the system will make the clutch travel a smaller amount and that should cause some drag. At over 30K miles, my 900 stil has the stock plates. Have you been doing one finger pull-ups?:)

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NCRick said:
Can you still find neutral at a stand still (with the engine running)? Your springs may be weak. I do not think wore out plates can give that feel. Air in the system will make the clutch travel a smaller amount and that should cause some drag. At over 30K miles, my 900 stil has the stock plates. Have you been doing one finger pull-ups?:)
I can still find neutral with ease.

The springs have less than 3k miles on them. They are the springs from DesmoTimes. (http://70.103.140.106/~desmotim/product14.htm)

Unless there's some problems with these springs?

nope - no stuntage for me, not that kind of rider.

Keep in mind, that I'm still a fairly new rider....;)

· Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are there lighter springs available for the wet clutches? (Mine is a 2000 750SSie). Too cheap to buy a new slave, and the spring removal option seems too radical to me. I have ridden the bike for 25,000 miles now, and the heavy clutch is probably the single worst thing about it. It has actually limited my mileage on occasion. Call me a whimp.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok - wimp! ;)

but on another note, you might actually get more seponses by starting a new thread. Else you're only going to get those people who come into this thread and read down this far....hehe

besides that....wouldn't changing out the springs on a 750 require a lot more work? Especially since it's not dry? At that point, wouldn't a different slave be worth it? We're only talking a few hundred bucks!

· Registered
16,673 Posts
It sounds like you have some air in your line--or someone put a Surflex slipper clutch in the bike when you were not looking....

I had the same problem on my 95 916. The fluid would get very dark and the clutch pull was very light (sometimes). When I flushed the system the clutch pull would firm up--until it got dark again. When I swapped the slave cylinder for a large bore billet slave-it eliminated the dark fluid and the inconsistent clutch pressure.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Chilehead
6,870 Posts
If the clutch plates are worn, that will result in lighter pull. Also, spring tension varies.

I like light action. If there's no slippage problem, and you cand find neutral easily, no problem!

Tom

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm starting to notice some slippage problems.

I'm pricing clutch options as we speak, thus my other thread regarding clutch questions.

· Premium Member
2,450 Posts
JDuc said:
ok - wimp! ;)

but on another note, you might actually get more seponses by starting a new thread. Else you're only going to get those people who come into this thread and read down this far....hehe

besides that....wouldn't changing out the springs on a 750 require a lot more work? Especially since it's not dry? At that point, wouldn't a different slave be worth it? We're only talking a few hundred bucks!
Actually, about $275, no? And I am paying in Canadian dollars, so figure $330. If I can get the same result form $40 worth of springs and an afternoon's work, I am all over it.

But I'll take your advice and start a new thread.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are there any disadvantages to that?

I can't imagine that going with fewer springs would have absolutely no negative effects when the bike was designed with 6 springs....???

· Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Okay, next oil change two springs come out. I'll report back. Might not be a fair test though, since my clutch will have 27,000 miles on it by then. Might slip just because it is about ready to slip anyway.

If I end up smoking it, how much is a new clutch pack for a wet clutch gonna cost me? And can I send you the bill? ;)

· Registered
40 Posts
I'm running on 3 springs now..Tried to slip the clutch intentionally but smoked the rear instead...New barnett pack though...Not sure how it will work when the packs worn down some...Also, I switched to TPO SS springs and a Paulmito spring retainer with the clutch pack replacement

· Registered
714 Posts
Jan, I am loosing the point here but if I am close to being on track: Your clutch pull is light and the clutch functions normally but slips at times (would this be in high gear under hard acceleration?), This leads me to conclude two possibilities. One, the clutch springs are too weak (loose? Overheated? just weak?) or the friction discs are so worn as to not be loading the springs. In any case, pull the clutch plates out of the bike, and measure the friction and steel plates and check them against the minimum specified thickness and replace them as needed. I think the manual shows the free length of the clutch springs so you can check those but I would replace them with good ones if the plates prove to be OK. While my clutch has over 30K on it, I do not commute so I have less stops and starts. Your clutch could be worn out. Easy and free to check though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.