Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i had to run an errand during lunch and got stuck in traffic. my bike, an '07 bip with termi started getting hot. engine temps seemed ok, but the heat spilling onto my inner left thighs where almost unbearable while my foot was on the ground. the only relief i got was putting my left fut on the pegs while stopped and that got my legs out of the heat blast from the engine. is this normal? i never had this with my monster. i think the heat is coming form the exhaust line coming from the engine rather then the engine itself. I taught maybe its coming from the little hole where the emissions canister used to be, but then again my monster had it removed as well and no issues.

thanks,
tt

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Um there shouldn't be a hole where the emissions can was?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um there shouldn't be a hole where the emissions can was?
not where the emission canister was, but i believe something was connected to it at some point, but no longer, its a little tiny circle on the exhaust piping coming out of the engine case on the left side. my monster had the same thing, so i do believe its normal.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
not where the emission canister was, but i believe something was connected to it at some point, but no longer, its a little tiny circle on the exhaust piping coming out of the engine case on the left side. my monster had the same thing, so i do believe its normal.
Oh well there should be a plug in each header for attaching sensors when doing diagnostics/tuning, but it should be plugged with a hex screw, not an open hole. Assuming that it is, what temperature do the gauges show when you feel it is too hot? Depending on the conditions and weight of oil, these bikes will regularly get over 250F in traffic, and the manual states they are safe to 338F.

Are you wearing actual riding pants, or just thin jeans (or even, gasp, shorts)?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the hole is irrelevant. the bike was running at 250F. i was wearing jeans. again, same pants and conditions as i used to be on my monster, but now with some extra heat love on my legs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How long have you had your SC? My 1000S cooks my inner left thigh as well when wearing jeans when the bike gets around 220-240ºF at lights. I chalked it up as one of the little joys of owning an SC but who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
250F is hot. Put you hand near something that is 250F and you will want to pull it away fast. My guess is the Monster just had your legs positioned differently when stopped. I'd suggest getting some thicker riding pants if it's really a problem.

Let me just emphasize though, there should be no "hole" in your exhaust header. There should be a plug, but if there is a hole where gas is escaping, that is a problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you had your SC? My 1000S cooks my inner left thigh as well when wearing jeans when the bike gets around 220-240ºF at lights. I chalked it up as one of the little joys of owning an SC but who knows.
had her for about 2 weeks now....but this was my first traffic jam cooking session with her. it was pretty unbearable until i started resting my foot on the pegs and got my thigh out of the heat zone. i guess this is normal then?

p.s.
thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me just emphasize though, there should be no "hole" in your exhaust header. There should be a plug, but if there is a hole where gas is escaping, that is a problem.
my bad, it looked like a hole while i was on it, but its not. i guess leather chaps are in order.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It is normal. The SC/PS is a roaster. Also, if you have not repositioned your regulator/rectifier (search the SC forum) that is under the seat generating heat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
had her for about 2 weeks now....but this was my first traffic jam cooking session with her. it was pretty unbearable until i started resting my foot on the pegs and got my thigh out of the heat zone. i guess this is normal then?

p.s.
thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, it's normal. I've had mine for about two years now and it still bugs me every once in a while. Start wearing bacon pants. Your destinations will become more delicious as time goes on.:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
its the shape of the header coming out of the engine. the GT has the side covers that shield you and the monster header are shapped different. it just exhaust heat... quit whinning ;) (I experenced the same thing when i first got mine...its esp hot when sitting on the south side of the U.S. Mexican border in 110 heat (but its a dry heat :rolleyes:) trying to get back into the U.S. and waiting for CBP to toss all the north bound cars...

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
It does help a bit (worked on my wife's mega-hot Buell - which ran MUCH hotter than her SC1000) - but surely the heat has to go somewhere - will it not make the engine run hotter?
Well presumably the gases are still heating the pipe internally, but that heat is not transferring externally due to the wrap. My guess (and I'm just talking out of my @$$ here) would be that the gas itself just remains hotter as it travels down the pipe. The physical connection between the header and the head is pretty minuscule, so heat transfer there would be minimal. And since the gas isn't going back into the engine hopefully, it ends up expelling that heat further down the line, in the can/air

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
What greggers said. Basically retains the heat in the exhaust gas so it flows faster, which is a good thing when the system is designed to make use of it.

The down-side of wrapping an exhaust is that it will fatigue the metal, particularly in the bends, because the piping will run hotter (heat is retained). How long the piping will last, I couldn't tell ya, but it would definitely be shorter than an unwrapped system.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It is normal. The SC/PS is a roaster. Also, if you have not repositioned your regulator/rectifier (search the SC forum) that is under the seat generating heat.
Probably either the R/R or the rear cylinder header. Several SC owners have wrapped just the rear header and report it helped with the cooked thigh.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's very normal especially in the stop and go traffic. It's the heat from the rear exhaust header (my R/R has been repositioned).

It shouldn't be unbearable, however.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Going forward, if this is a problem for you, consider having your pipes ceramic coated with a heat blocking formulation. It couldn't hurt, plus should spiff up the "black" on your headers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts