Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How comfortable would you be in putting the 15,000 mile service off? How many miles past it?

Going on a 2,500 mile trip and am just under 14K miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Id get it done now, instead of after the trip. 7500 between oil is enough, don't push it. Only 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Id get it done now, instead of after the trip. 7500 between oil is enough, don't push it. Only 2 cylinders.
Agreed, especially if it is the first major service as this is the first time the valve clearances have been checked since the engine was first assembled. If this was the second or third major service it would probably be fine but this one is more critical as the engine was breaking in during this period.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^^ What they said

Imagine if a belt broke at 16,000 miles :surprise:

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You haven't provided enough information about the bike model and age, actual service history, and type and regularity of riding.

Now, if you have only had the bike for a year since new, then get the servicing or you will break the warranty. 2 yr and extended plans require following the service schedule, I believe.

I know a lot of people buy a Ducati and have a dealer service it based upon a scheduled service chart, but I am not willing to assume that based upon the one thing you mentioned, "15K service". If that is the case, however, god no, get the oil changed before the trip unless you have been riding 8 hours a day on the highway, in which case, go for it because that would be a greatly diminished number of heat cycles.

Belts, meh, overrated change schedule in my opinion, but the idlers are notoriously problematic so they should be inspected and that requires removing the belts to do correctly. If you are doing it yourself, you can put the same ones back on but at a dealer, if they don't refuse, it is still probably logical to have them replaced to stay on their schedule and customer profit base.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You haven't provided enough information about the bike model and age, actual service history, and type and regularity of riding.

Now, if you have only had the bike for a year since new, then get the servicing or you will break the warranty. 2 yr and extended plans require following the service schedule, I believe.

I know a lot of people buy a Ducati and have a dealer service it based upon a scheduled service chart, but I am not willing to assume that based upon the one thing you mentioned, "15K service". If that is the case, however, god no, get the oil changed before the trip unless you have been riding 8 hours a day on the highway, in which case, go for it because that would be a greatly diminished number of heat cycles.

Belts, meh, overrated change schedule in my opinion, but the idlers are notoriously problematic so they should be inspected and that requires removing the belts to do correctly. If you are doing it yourself, you can put the same ones back on but at a dealer, if they don't refuse, it is still probably logical to have them replaced to stay on their schedule and customer profit base.
2014 PP was bought used with 2,500 miles on it last fall. Now has 13,800 miles. Oil changed at roughly 2,800, 4,700, and 9,800...each time before a trip. Still under factory warranty and will buy an extended just before the factory one expires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts