Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Later this week I'll be picking up my 2006 ST3s. I talked to the dealer today, and they offered a 3 year extension of the factory warranty for $890. Typically I don't go for these, but I'm tempted here.

I had a '05 ST3 that was totalled in an accident this past August. Overall it was great, but did need the entire instrument cluster replaced under warranty. I'm sure that would have paid for it there.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
jneglia said:
Later this week I'll be picking up my 2006 ST3s. I talked to the dealer today, and they offered a 3 year extension of the factory warranty for $890. Typically I don't go for these, but I'm tempted here.

I had a '05 ST3 that was totalled in an accident this past August. Overall it was great, but did need the entire instrument cluster replaced under warranty. I'm sure that would have paid for it there.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
I'm sure you know the routine as much as anyone here. Extended warranties always bring more money than they send out. That said, $890 for three extra years seems like not a bad deal if you plan to keep the bike for that long.

But, is this a straight up extenstion of the factory warranty (good) or is it an aftermarket type deal (bad)? If it's aftermarket, look very closely at what is and is not covered.

Tony

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I bought one for my 999r for $750.00. Aftermarket that covers most, but does not cover parts that go defunct due to Oil.... Heck, for $750.00, one stupid little electrical part goes out, Olins break etc... and I'm golden!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
I'm sure you know the routine as much as anyone here. Extended warranties always bring more money than they send out. That said, $890 for three extra years seems like not a bad deal if you plan to keep the bike for that long.

But, is this a straight up extenstion of the factory warranty (good) or is it an aftermarket type deal (bad)? If it's aftermarket, look very closely at what is and is not covered.

Tony
This just isn't always true! It's wrong to generalize like this.

I bought a 5 year extended warranty/service contract from an aftermarket provider for my 2002 ST4s, for about $750. A lot of people said the contract had so many exclusions that it wasn't worth it. They were all wrong!

Within the first year, the contract covered over $1,000 of replacement parts and labor! It paid for...

• a replacement valve cover (due to a broken tab)
  • a new fuel level assembly (the old one was WAY off!)
  • a new LCD display (the old one started flickering badly)
  • a DP ECU to replace the stock ECU (the stock was causing starting problems)
  • a new starter solenoid (fused during one of the bad starting problems)

My extended warranty has paid for itself and then some and I have another 3 years of coverage left on it. If I looked too closely at the exclusion, I wouldn't have bought it and I'd be considerrably poorer than I am now!

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
I'm sure you know the routine as much as anyone here. Extended warranties always bring more money than they send out.

Tony
Sorry to dispute your point with facts, Tony. I have a BMW K1200LT - 2001. About 2 years after I bought the bike, I heard about the rear drive going to crap. Most times BMW made it right with the owners - but not 100% of the time.

I put together an extended warranty group buy. For my bike - with ABS coverage), it was basically $1000 for 4 years. half way through the second year, the alternator drive shaft went to crap at 48,000 miles. The BMW dealer said that they'd pull the rear suspension and tranny off to access the parts. While they were in there, I asked them to put it back together with a new clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder (you have to take everything off to get to the slave cylinder if it leaks. They just charged me for those parts and about $100 worth of other parts the insurance wouldn't cover. They charged the aftermarket insurance company for everything else. About $2500.

I think I got my money's worth. And I still have time on my warranty.

my position has been that an aftermarket warranty is a good thing on a Ducati - because of the issues I've seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turbo said:
This just isn't always true! It's wrong to generalize like this.

I bought a 5 year extended warranty/service contract from an aftermarket provider for my 2002 ST4s, for about $750. A lot of people said the contract had so many exclusions that it wasn't worth it. They were all wrong!

Within the first year, the contract covered over $1,000 of replacement parts and labor! It paid for...

• a replacement valve cover (due to a broken tab)
  • a new fuel level assembly (the old one was WAY off!)
  • a new LCD display (the old one started flickering badly)
  • a DP ECU to replace the stock ECU (the stock was causing starting problems)
  • a new starter solenoid (fused during one of the bad starting problems)

My extended warranty has paid for itself and then some and I have another 3 years of coverage left on it. If I looked too closely at the exclusion, I wouldn't have bought it and I'd be considerrably poorer than I am now!
Can you tell me what company your extended warranty is with? I have a 2006 999R and I'm interested in an extended warranty for it. Any information you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hmmm.. another poster who dissappeared... Haven't seen Mark Turbo for a few months now.. Anyone seen him?? Say G'Day!!

Mal

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have a 6 year warranty on my '05 for $680 I think it was. I'll go look at the price and check for sure but it was under $700.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts