Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your opinion...

Is the extended warranty worth the money? I bought a 2007 ST3 in January. It is under factory warranty until the end of May 2009. I have the option of purchasing a 36 month extended warranty for just under $700.00.

In your opinion is it worth the investment? I understand it's only $200.00 per year for the protection but $700.00 is still $700.00.

The bike only had 193 miles on it when I purchased it. I had all the fluids and belts changed (24 month service) at the 600 mile service just to be safe. Everything looked perfect.

What is the "smart" thing to do?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Your opinion...

Is the extended warranty worth the money? I bought a 2007 ST3 in January. It is under factory warranty until the end of May 2009. I have the option of purchasing a 36 month extended warranty for just under $700.00.

In your opinion is it worth the investment? I understand it's only $200.00 per year for the protection but $700.00 is still $700.00.

The bike only had 193 miles on it when I purchased it. I had all the fluids and belts changed (24 month service) at the 600 mile service just to be safe. Everything looked perfect.

You could go without it, but wil you sleep better at night knowing you saved $700 or will you lose sleep wishing you had paid the $700? How much is your sleep worth?

I got it for my 999. I religiously keep up with the maintenance and I take comfort knowing that if something (due to manufacturer defect) breaks, I am covered. Of course, you still have to deal with DUCATI NA and some dealers who are infamous for dragging their feet when it comes to warranty.

·
Registered
227 Posts
statistically all the stuff happens within the first year...this is coming from a dealer....i actually discorage selling extended warranties I rather sell a good helmet and know that my customers are safe than an extended warrantie and a shitty helmet...

...said that...READ THE FINE PRINTS...so many people get jacked because of it :D

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Your opinion...

Oh hell yeah, it's worth it!

I paid $750 for a 3 year extended warranty just before my OEM warranty was about to expire. By the time the extended warranty expired in December 2007, it had paid out about $10,000 in warranty repairs, including a complete engine rebuild at 72,100 miles! :D

I was very reluctant to buy the extended warranty in the first place, like most people are, but I will never hesitate again. Bottom line is if you intend to ride your Duc and keep it until it drops, getting an extended warranty just before the OEM warranty expires is a sound investment.

I tour between 12,000 and 20,000 miles a year on my ST4s. In general, my ST4s has been very reliable over the years, but a couple of large ticket repairs would have wiped me out without the warranty!

One large repair occurred when my rear wheel bearing blew out on a trip at 42,000 miles. The shrapnel took out the rear brake caliper bracket, axle and rear wheel! My extended warranty bought me a new Marchesini wheel and parts and covered all repair costs (except for the axle itself, which was an exclusion!). I paid about $75 for the axle. The warranty paid out about $1,800.

Biggest repair came after I started hearing a whirring noise from the engine as I revved up, at around 72,000 miles. Sounded a bit like a supercharger! Problem turned out to be a failing main bearing in the bottom end! My dealer managed to get approval for a complete engine rebuild on my extended warranty (all bearings, bushings, seals, new pistons, resurfaced cylinders, etc.). The repair costs came to about $4,700 in the end!

So, if you ask me, the smart thing to do if you are going to keep and ride your Duc is get an extended warranty. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
not everybody puts 72K on their bikes.....and it looks like all your problem happened after 42K, let's say that the average rider puts 5-10K on their bikes at the most.....you tell me
This is the Sport Touring forum and I'd hazard a guess that anyone who owns an ST rides much more than 10K! I personally don't know any ST owner with less than 10K on the clock and the original poster also owns an ST3. We should keep this thread in context to ST riders. :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
It depends on the "Warranty" itself!

I purchased an extended warranty in '05 for around the same $$. The salesman told me, (I was stupid to not read the fine print) that the extension was just that, "It extended the factory warranty for 3 more years".

After the factory warranty expired, around 25 months, I had an issue that was not covered. After reading the extension carefully, I discovered in fact it didn't cover much at all. I sent a letter to the dealer and got my $ back for the remainder of the extension.

Get this, they subtracted the 2 years that my bike was covered under the factory warranty. In other words, I bought a 3 year extension for a total of 5 years of coverage. If I paid $500 for the extension, I only got $300 back, not what I figured to be $500 minus just a couple of months! I know this doesn't pertain to you so much, but others read plenty on this forum and never post.

Does Ducati have a "factory" extended warranty program now?

Be careful and spend time reading the contract! You don't have to purchase it "today".

Good luck, Fred

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
From first principals the answer should be no. The structure of the deal has to be that what the insurer earns in premium is greater than the average payout. Extended warrnaties are a well known areas for the F&A manager (translation 2nd salesperson) to try to tack on to increase the transaction margin.

Of course their will be isolated cases where the payout well exceeds the premium. It is just like gambling. On average the house wins

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the feedback!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I average around 12K per year on the bike. This is a daily driver plus my "touring". Given that, I don't think I would have more than 40K on the bike in the next 38 months...unless I win the lottery! :)

I will do another review of the terms and conditions of the contract to verify the exact coverage. It truly is a "gamble"....but isn't that what insurance is all about?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hate to say this and I wish I felt different but the only two extended warranties I have ever purchased were both for Ducatis. You dont have to put a whole lot of miles on your bike to ever need them. I have two friends who both have SC models and they both needed valve work at around the 6K mile mark. My Hyper has already had three or four issues counting recalls with 3000 miles on it.

I dont trust Ducatis as much as other bikes so I will buy the extended warranty if I have the opportunity to. If only Ducati would quit making such great looking bikes, that make such cool noises when you pull the clutch in, I would never purchase extended warranties but oh well. Yes, I do very much hope that it will be money wasted but having it helps me sleep better at night. Enjoy your ST.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are two considerations that should be looked at in order to have a chance at benefiting from the extended plan ; you need to be dealing with a dealer that has a strong and respected standing with Ducati and you also need to be the type that always turns to said dealer for all the scheduled service work. If you are the type that can and prefers to look after your own service and maintenance, you can cover the expense of a lot of parts over the long run with the savings of the scheduled services and the price of the extended warranty as well. The status of your dealer with Ducati is very important as well! Very few are in a position to represent the customer all that well.
There is no question that Mark benefited from the plan, but you are going to need a very strong dealer that values you as a customer on your side, you don't often hear of positive out comes from people trying to make a claim with this plan.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Still needs a life.
12,544 Posts
There are two considerations that should be looked at in order to have a chance at benefiting from the extended plan ; you need to be dealing with a dealer that has a strong and respected standing with Ducati and you also need to be the type that always turns to said dealer for all the scheduled service work.............

The status of your dealer with Ducati is very important as well! Very few are in a position to represent the customer all that well.......

There is no question that Mark benefited from the plan, but you are going to need a very strong dealer that values you as a customer on your side, you don't often hear of positive out comes from people trying to make a claim with this plan.

Jerry
04 ST4s
Agreed. I know that Motocourse of Portland has really gone to bat for Mark and at least one other member here when there have been warranty issues with their Ducatis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts