Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new multi 1260s when the snow melts, what’s the general consensus on extended warranty? I can get a 4 year added to the standard 2 year for $2000 Canadian, ($1500 us)
It’s a full coverage unlimited mileage warranty, I will probably ride 25-30k a year
Cheers

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I’d say it’s worth it because you’re putting on all of those miles. If I’m not mistaken, the extended warranty is negotiable so try and get it cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
I got one for my 15... about the same price. Have not used it but for a touring Duc (about 12,000 miles a year on mine) it's worth it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your bike breaks down a lot, yes it's worth it. If it doesn't, then no...

With the cost you listed and the mileage you're planning to cover, I'd say it's worth it for the peace of mind... make sure you check if there's a deductible when/if you make a claim.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
I have to say tho... when I bought the bike the DVT was not a known quantity. Mine HAS had issues but nothing major... and I've definitely put some miles on. If you go by the anecdotal "how often do people complain online" o'meter, the DVT is a very reliable platform - and with 5 years in the backlog I think there's plenty of data to go with. Buying today I might be tempted to skip the warranty for a DVT bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 17 developed a coolant leak shortly after the factory warranty expired. That repair alone was over half the cost of the extended warranty, which covered the repair.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Because of a rubbing radiator guard, my radiator developed a hole and was replaced under the extended warranty. It was worth it for that reason, but I've had no other problems in the 1.5 yrs with my '16 Multi. Maybe they've sorted things out reasonably well now. I believe you can buy the warranty just before the stock one expires.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
It was well worth it to me. Here's a thread that has been ongoing since 2012.

Extended Warranties

Mine paid me back about $3K for a $1K cost. I still have the bike, which finally came off warranty last Oct. These sorts of insurance deals usually don't work out for me but in this case, it turned out to be a good decision. I was pretty sure I would be keeping the bike for the long term so the full 5 year extension made sense to me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When I bought my ‘12, I bought a 5 yr extension, simply due to all the whining/bitching about Ducati’s. At 2 yrs/31,000 miles, my heated grips quit and were replaced under warranty. At 66,000 miles, the gear shift return spring broke and would’a been covered, but....I was leaving on a 2 week trip and my shop‘s first ‘opening’ was 2+ weeks out, so a private shop did the work ($400). Bike now has 105,000 miles and is purring! So....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picking up my new multi 1260s when the snow melts, what’s the general consensus on extended warranty? I can get a 4 year added to the standard 2 year for $2000 Canadian, ($1500 us)
It’s a full coverage unlimited mileage warranty, I will probably ride 25-30k a year
Cheers
YUP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I purchased my then new '14 PP in '15 I purchased an extended Western warranty thru '22 it's still covered and has had issues with hands free and DSS which far exceeded warranty cost with 15k+ miles I still have a transferable warranty and 2 yrs left so after owning 3 Mutleys M2CW buy it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
‘18 1260S with Extended Warranty.
I got the warranty more of concern for the electronics as replacing parts and labor would be very pricey. Luckily all is well to date...love the bike.
One thing to note: check with your dealer as the warranty language says coverage is voided with any modifications done to the bike (is exhaust, new wheels, etc.). Thankfully I have a great dealer that covers me as I tend to mod my bikes.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Would a company offer an extended warranty if it cost them money? For some people it pays off, but in the end it makes money for the company selling it. For some people it works out great, for others it's just another cost of ownership that maybe they could have avoided. Kind of like a lottery, but the odds are better for a payoff.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just remember, it's technically a service contract, not an extended warranty. Unlike a manufacturers warranty, a service contract can usually deny all claims if the owners service obligations aren't met. Those obligations on a Ducati, include an annual service regardless of mileage. If you are skipping that service as many owners do, you could find yourself with claims denied. It's at the discretion of the service contract company; they may choose to ignore it, or not.

Having a dealership you trust recommend a product they've had good experience with goes a long way, here. It's counter-intuitive, but even though you paid for the service contract, the company that sold it really considers the dealership their customer, not you. They could care less about pissing you off, but if that dealership stops selling their product, that hurts.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Just remember, it's technically a service contract, not an extended warranty. Unlike a manufacturers warranty, a service contract can usually deny all claims if the owners service obligations aren't met. Those obligations on a Ducati, include an annual service regardless of mileage. If you are skipping that service as many owners do, you could find yourself with claims denied. It's at the discretion of the service contract company; they may choose to ignore it, or not.

Having a dealership you trust recommend a product they've had good experience with goes a long way, here. It's counter-intuitive, but even though you paid for the service contract, the company that sold it really considers the dealership their customer, not you. They could care less about pissing you off, but if that dealership stops selling their product, that hurts.
If you do your own service then extended warranties might be problematic (probably not worth the risk they'll not payout), IMO they make the MOST sense when you have all your service done at the dealer you bought the contract from.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi folks, my 2c: I bought a new, dealership 2017 Enduro last October and at the time I was offered and bought an extended warranty that added 3 years to the full 2 year Ducati warranty; not cheap, about CAN$1800. I had already looked into the extended RED Ducati extended warranty and the Ducati website indicated that it was not available in Canada. After about a week, I read the small print of the extended warranty to discover that any damage due to off-road use was not covered. I bought this bike to do some mild offroad adventures so I contacted the insurance company and after about 2 weeks, they go back to me with a simple verbal statement that I was "OK". Yeah, sure. I stated that I had to have this in writing, and amended contract but they were uable to do this so I cancelled the policy and got a full refund. About a month later, during a non-related phone discussion with a Ducati USA representative, I asked about the RED warranty and was told that I could get the Ducati coverage but I had to apply for it several months before my current Ducati warranty expires. Weird but that is now the plan.

With respect to the Ducati factory warranty, be careful to read it too! Adding non-OEM approved goodies to your bike can void your warranty. Changing anything electrical/electronic is the biggest risk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheers
I bought a new 2018 1260S Touring in December of 2018. I cant say how much I love this bike. Amazing machine. Anyway... i bought a 5 year extended for $850. It was $1600 when we started. Those prices are negotiable for sure. I told the finance guy I'd do $800...he said $850 as he only makes $50 at that price? I have no idea...but I know they are negotiable. He sold me on it because of the TFT display which they go sometimes or get moisture in them that screen alone is over a $1000. It also has roadside assistance and it is transferable to a new owner if you sell it for $50. If you get the right price I think its well worth it! I haven't used it yet and hope I dont...but the peace of mind and added value if I sell it are worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts