Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase an extended warranty mainly due to the expanding tank issues. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I bought my GT used a few months back and since the warranty expires in Apr. '10, I called my dealer to ask about the extended warranty and was quoted something like $812. That's a lot less than I thought it would be and seems like a good investment given the cost of fixing\replacing things on our babies:)

By the way though, the tank issue is handled under the EPA warranty which is 5 years.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
By the way though, the tank issue is handled under the EPA warranty which is 5 years.
This is my understanding as well.

I'm also wrestling with the idea of buying the extended warranty, since my 2yr ends in a couple of weeks. I'd appreciate it if some people who have purchased and used it would chime in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought my GT used a few months back and since the warranty expires in Apr. '10, I called my dealer to ask about the extended warranty and was quoted something like $812. That's a lot less than I thought it would be and seems like a good investment given the cost of fixing\replacing things on our babies:)

If it is covered for 5 years, then I will be ok for a while. $812 is not bad at all. I wanted to just find out what companies are offering the warranty and what experiences people have had with them.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
DGJ -thanks for the link on extended warranty discussion. I had thought they were offered through Ducati, not independent providers. Since my dealer just quoted one price - $812 - I'm assuming it was with Ever Red.

Does anyone know if you can go through Ever Red and Western directly, or if you have to go through your dealer and are therefore just limited to who they use?

The name Ever Red makes me wonder if they have some sort of relationship with Ducati a la Foremost Insurance:confused:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
...The name Ever Red makes me wonder if they have some sort of relationship with Ducati a la Foremost Insurance:confused:
Searched the forum and found a lot of threads re extended warranties and confirmed that Ever Red is essentially a Ducati factory warranty they offer through a partnership with GE Money - Warranty Services started back in Sept. '07-

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/news/detail.jhtml?newsId=18861

My cursory search of other threads debating the merits of extended warranties suggests caution in buying aftermarket warranties as they often end up not covering much. Also - and this should be obvious - the people benefitting from them the most are those who will rack up some miles, plan on hanging on to their bikes, and aren't do-it-yourselfers. It also seems like the warranty's effectiveness, i.e. hassle-free implementaion if you need it, will depend a lot on the relationship your dealer enjoys with Ducati. This would suggest purchasing an extended warranty through a dealer that sells Ducati as their flagship bike, or at least does some good numbers with them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I purchased my Western extended plan at Pro-Italia, the premier ducati dealer in the Los Angeles Area. They sell both Ever Red and Western. Ever red was more expensive, yet the service guy recommended Western, simply because they offered the exact same coverage as the Ever Red, but you got a longer term for less money. He also said that the western people were less prone to question a warranty claim but that GE was pretty much the FBI on every case. finally, as I mentioned, with Western, you can choose to get the warranty work at any proper moto shop, not just a ducati dealer, whereas Ever Red makes you go to the dealer. So you have more choice.

you still have to purchase the plan at a ducati dealer. You can also negotiate with them, because the retail price is more than I paid. I guess certain dealers are willing to give discounts. you should call pro-italia and get a quote, I don;t think you have to buy the plan at your local dealer.

there you go.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I purchased my Western extended plan at Pro-Italia, the premier ducati dealer in the Los Angeles Area. They sell both Ever Red and Western. Ever red was more expensive, yet the service guy recommended Western, simply because they offered the exact same coverage as the Ever Red, but you got a longer term for less money. He also said that the western people were less prone to question a warranty claim but that GE was pretty much the FBI on every case. finally, as I mentioned, with Western, you can choose to get the warranty work at any proper moto shop, not just a ducati dealer, whereas Ever Red makes you go to the dealer. So you have more choice.

you still have to purchase the plan at a ducati dealer. You can also negotiate with them, because the retail price is more than I paid. I guess certain dealers are willing to give discounts. you should call pro-italia and get a quote, I don;t think you have to buy the plan at your local dealer.

there you go.
DGJ - when you get a choice, it sounds the like the one to go with would be the one the service guy recommends. Who's a better authority, right? That's helpful to know you can probably shop Duc dealers too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have the western. It has longer terms then the Ever Red.
Mine goes til 2012.

recently my lower belt cog seal was leaking oil and it was fixed.
Here is how it went.
Dropped it off. Told them I have this issue.
No Prob.
3 days later
Dropped by picked it up

The End

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts