Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Anyone know what the engine high/low settings do? The owners manual doesn't explain (that I could find), and Google searching so far has turned up nothing.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
great question

i was looking for that as well yesterday... trying to get the gashandle less choppy or direct...

i think that the difference lies in the directness of throttle respons... you can be a little rougher on the 'low' setting... for those aiming to catapult out of corners, the high will be directer... good thing to read the DTC part then, i think :)

i did a trackday lately and lost quit some time as i was worried of overthrotteling the bike in '150 high' mode and 'sport/2 + luggage'..

i'll be happy to have this opinion confirmed or corrected!

grtz

Koen

·
Registered
545 Posts
150 Low is just a softer throttle response than 150 High. Both give you access to the full 150HP, just the low setting has a softer, more progressive ramp to it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
150 Low is just a softer throttle response than 150 High. Both give you access to the full 150HP, just the low setting has a softer, more progressive ramp to it.
For me, I use the high setting when riding in full attack mode. The low setting is more for just roaming around and riding on the interstate. It makes it easier to maintain a set speed. Still wishing this thing had cruise control though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for comments. I recall the dealer saying something about the high/low settings having to do with throttle response, however I was hoping to find some "official" Ducati write-up on the topic (free advice all too often being worth what is paid for it). My MTS1200 is my first Ducati/euro bike and thus far I find the owner's manual a disappointment (no explanation of engine high/low, no procedure for chain adjustment that I can find). Love the bike, though!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Copied and Pasted straight from Ducati.com

The Ride-by-Wire RbW system is an electronic interface between the twistgrip and the engine which decides the ideal power response depending on the riding mode selected and according to the rider’s throttle input. The twistgrip no longer has a throttle cable connected directly to the throttle body butterflies, but instead delivers a signal to a control unit, which in turn operates the butterfly opening.

The RbW system uses three different mappings to regulate the power delivery. The three maps offer 150hp with a sports-type delivery, 150hp with a progressive delivery suitable for touring and 100hp with progressive delivery for city or off-road use.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for comments. I recall the dealer saying something about the high/low settings having to do with throttle response, however I was hoping to find some "official" Ducati write-up on the topic (free advice all too often being worth what is paid for it). My MTS1200 is my first Ducati/euro bike and thus far I find the owner's manual a disappointment (no explanation of engine high/low, no procedure for chain adjustment that I can find). Love the bike, though!
Check out the Multistrada info pages at

Motorcycle Info Pages - Ducati 1200 Multistrada > MTS1200 Information Resource - INTRO

Tons of good reliable info on our Multi's

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
When I talked to Doug Lofgren, I asked him this same question, he told me something like this.
We can forget how we think throttle cables works, its all now by "fly-by-wire"
we twist the grip but... a computer reads the twisting and then tells the fuel injection this;
Sport has very quick, snappy response, touring has a slower response, both open throttle bodies 100%- all the way open, hence full power-150 engine horsepower.
Urban and Off Road, throttle opens slower like touring, but then the throttle only opens something like 60%, no matter how far back you twist it, 100 engine horsepower.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sport has very quick, snappy response, touring has a slower response, both open throttle bodies 100%- all the way open, hence full power-150 engine horsepower.
Keep in mind that if you are riding with a 14t front sprocket in Sport and you are entering tight turns around town you can find yourself all of a sudden jumping into the opposite (oncoming) lane if you aren't careful.

The bike is quite punchy at 150hp with a 14t in the lower gears. And your throttle input needs a bit of attention in cornering with traffic.

Dan

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are riding with a 14t front sprocket in Sport and you are entering tight turns around town you can find yourself all of a sudden jumping into the opposite (oncoming) lane if you aren't careful.

The bike is quite punchy at 150hp with a 14t in the lower gears. And your throttle input needs a bit of attention in cornering with traffic.

Dan
Did that yesterday in a tight hairpin, gave it a handful to see what the dtc would do leant over, same as the s/fighter, front comes up & she stands tall, a lot of fun this bike.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Ride-by-Wire RbW system is an electronic interface between the twistgrip and the engine which decides the ideal power response depending on the riding mode selected and according to the rider’s throttle input. The twistgrip no longer has a throttle cable connected directly to the throttle body butterflies, but instead delivers a signal to a control unit, which in turn operates the butterfly opening.

The RbW system uses three different mappings to regulate the power delivery. The three maps offer 150hp with a sports-type delivery, 150hp with a progressive delivery suitable for touring and 100hp with progressive delivery for city or off-road use.
Thats the correct technical answer, I call it 150hp high, hold the F on he we go, 150hp low, hold on here we go and 100hp ok pussy I'll be good..

·
Registered
496 Posts
"High" equals "Sport Mode. Low equals "touring"? Right?

Thats what we are talking about here right? There is now a "high and low" available in each ride mode right? . Now I am confused

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Thats what we are talking about here right? There is now a "high and low" available in each ride mode right? . Now I am confused
i know of only 150HIGH - 150LOW and 100 (being LOW)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. In Touring mode I can select Engine 150 hp High or Low. In Sport mode the menu allows me to select either 150 hp High or Low, but it stays at High even if I select the Low option. The Low setting in Sport mode will not take. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Interesting. In Touring mode I can select Engine 150 hp High or Low. In Sport mode the menu allows me to select either 150 hp High or Low, but it stays at High even if I select the Low option. The Low setting in Sport mode will not take. Anyone else experience this?
It will take. You just have to save the setting properly! Don't ask me how you save it properly because I did it wrong the first couple of times. Not sure how I got it to stick in the end, but I now have 150 LOW mapped to my Sport mode. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
It will take. You just have to save the setting properly! Don't ask me how you save it properly because I did it wrong the first couple of times. Not sure how I got it to stick in the end, but I now have 150 LOW mapped to my Sport mode. :)
Why????:think: unleash the beast

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bike is choppy/surge-y at low RPM's, often encountered around town. Adding a tight throttle response on top of that makes for more effort than necessary. High throttle response is fine for carving canyons; I've found it less useful for low RPM operation

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
150 LOW is still the same HP as 150 HIGH. It's just more controllable. Something you'll appreciate when navigating 10-15 mph tight corners on mountain passes and grades with no barriers! :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
now I am totally confused?

So within each mode ( Touring and sport) there is a "high and low" option? I vaguely remember seeing that when making some custom pre-load and DTC adjustments but I thought Sport was Sport and Touring was Touring when it came to throttle output:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts