Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As prices of 1199 Panigales a continue to drop, I'm contemplating a possible "upgrade" from my '03 999R to a used 1199 S or even maybe R.

Did anyway do the switch or has first hand experience how those two bikes compare to each other?

I LOVE my 999R, which is use 80/20 road and very easy track days but are very much attracted to the electronic suspension of the newer Panigale.

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
You won't be any quicker on a Pani R. Keep the 999r as an heirloom and buy a Pani S as a track flogger. That way you have the bike you lead us to believe you love and a bike that has most of what you want for the track but won't cry if you go tits up.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
You won't be any quicker on a Pani R. Keep the 999r as an heirloom and buy a Pani S as a track flogger. That way you have the bike you lead us to believe you love and a bike that has most of what you want for the track but won't cry if you go tits up.
Tits up? Vas is Das? WTF

>:)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
A politer way of saying cunt-up.:x
Oh , you think cunt up is more polite than tits up or something? Really? Either way the results are the same! >:)

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
We are starting to sound like KIWIS, know one will be able to understand >:)

Craig

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm glad this topic reached a sophisticated level in no time.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've not ridden the 999R, but the common models. The Panigale (I've not ridden the R) is low on torque where you are used to torque. It's a fast bike where the 999's drop off on power/speed. W/ an 80/20 ratio of street to track I don't think that you will be very happy w/ the Panigle on the road IN COMPARISON to the 999R. But get one of you like. They are gorgeous bikes and have a lot to offer. I'll eventually get one for the track. It's number 8 on my purchase list of bikes. So, I'll be 100 when I get one.

In the end I found 3 +'s:
Top end
Light
Steering

But the steering can be compensated for on any Ducati SBK by installing longer bars. 2 inches will make a huge difference. (bait for the elderly gentlemen)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've got a '03 999R and '13 1199S.

The 1199S is easier to ride fast. More agile than the 999R. My 999R has BST CF wheels and the stone stock 1199S is still noticeably more agile. 1199S has a less stretched out riding position and since I'm short the 1199S is more comfortable. Horsepower difference is about 50hp (both Lofgren tuned) with the 1199S midrange significantly improved from the tune. After the tune, the 1199S midrange is equal to the 999R when compared by finely tuned butt dyno (too lazy to look at the charts). The 999R is more plush and less nervous over bumpy stuff.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Namor and Ray916, thanks for the feedback!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts