Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok What was Ducati thinking. A plastic bottle right above the radiator that is pressurized by hot water???? how long did they expect it to last?? i have had my 996 for about a year and a half now. My expansion tank was dry rotted and crack when i got it. So I ordered a new through bike bandit for $35(didnt even want to know what A deal might want for it). It went in fine but after one good summer busted a small leak.
So now to remedy this problem I am building one out of aluminum. The new (better) bottle will be about the same dimensions as the stock (crappy) bottle. I plan on using the stock radiator cap and I will make provisions for the mounting rubber. The new bottle will have the same size outlet in about the same place as the stock bottle.
There will be a few difference as well though. I will be eliminating the 2nd over flow nipple. I plan on Y-ing that hose in to the nipple on the bottle neck under the cap. Is there any reason not to do this?? 2nd difference that I will not have the 3 studs that the atmospereic pressure sensor attaches to. I plan to zip tie that sensor to the frame with the wiring harness. And the last difference is that my new bottle will last forever.
As far as constructing the bottle I plan on using light gauge aluminum, and it will be tig welded together. After that the bottle will be drilled and tapped so the water neck can be bolted on. I can either do a polished finish, raw aluminum, or a satin finish, Or I could even paint it. I will also pressure test the bottle for leaks.
Now if all this goes as plan i will start to sell the thing, maybe on e-bay. what is a good price on something like this?? Keep in mind it will be hand made but I think the quality will be top notch. For sure it will be an improvement over stock.
Any thought or suggestions???

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Aluminum isn't transparent. Your aluminum bottle design won't allow people to see the coolant level. Therefore they have to move the fuel tank to just check the level. Unless you have invented transparent aluminum like Scotty had in Star Trek IV or come up with a dipstick of some sort. You'd have to have it at an angle so people wouldn't have to move the tank. Maybe this is why Ducati used clear plastic.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The corsa tank is aluminum (and mounts in front of the steering tube), it uses a round sight glass in the side of the tank. You can purchase those with no problems.

I would love to have a tank made for the Corsa location.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Don't the Corsa tanks though block you from seeing the VIN because they are bigger and also I believe require mounting one of the sensors somewhere else. I guess the sensor that sits on top of the current tank. Not sure.

I still say you invent transparent aluminum.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I feel your pain, after having a tank go on me during a race weekend, in such a way as to piss water/waterwetter on my faceshield periodically throughout the race [I first thought it was the bike ahead...but after passing, it was still happening...
]
Anyhow, I bought two new tanks, one as insurance, and it never failed again [I still have one sitting in it's box on a shelf somewhere].

I would suggest that you figure a way to put a window of sorts on the left side, even if it were a "boiler, water level gauge" [if you know what I mean] type of arrangement, so you can monitor your coolant level.

In the end, I think that is part of the reason they went with the plastic. It is translucent, so coolant level is easily read.

geez, I have to learn to type faster...Lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Corse radiator tanks

NCRick said:
The corsa tank is aluminum (and mounts in front of the steering tube), it uses a round sight glass in the side of the tank. You can purchase those with no problems.

I would love to have a tank made for the Corsa location.
The Ducati corse tanks were made in stainless steel, had a sight glass and did mount in front of the steering head. Very hard to find, only a few were made in the 1990's. Corse went to a plastic bottle also. If you find one buy it, it is a rare part.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Motowheels sells the Corse tank. It's out of stock.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=3239&showDetail=1&categoryID=509|Ducati%20OEM%20Engine&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=bottle&collection=

·
Registered
382 Posts
ummmm... could'nt someone design a better plastic resovior tank? By that I mean use some type of material that would allow the plastic to be more heat resistant and still be visible... For example, I was looking at buying a Tacoma, and noticed how thick and industrial grade the plastic coolant tank was for vehicle... There has to be a stronger type of plastic (or other transparent material) that could be molded to the same shape?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this problem with being able to see the coolant level is easily solved. I can simple put a plug on the front side next to the steering yolk. Maybe something like an oil plug so you could take it out and look in the hole.
How about that???

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
There will be a few difference as well though. I will be eliminating the 2nd over flow nipple. I plan on Y-ing that hose in to the nipple on the bottle neck under the cap. Is there any reason not to do this??

Any thought or suggestions???
I would be cautious and not connect the air blead line to the pressure relief / overflow line. The other line is an air bleed from the vert cylinder to the tank, to allow the system to "self-bleed" air bubbles back to the tank. I'm not sure if any coolant makes its way up along that line with the air - but if it does not have access to the main tank, it may start to fill-up the overflow tank. Just a guess! You could probably try it and see if it presents a problem, and then correct it, but thought it's worth pointing out :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OldBaldy said:
I would be cautious and not connect the air blead line to the pressure relief / overflow line. The other line is an air bleed from the vert cylinder to the tank, to allow the system to "self-bleed" air bubbles back to the tank. I'm not sure if any coolant makes its way up along that line with the air - but if it does not have access to the main tank, it may start to fill-up the overflow tank. Just a guess! You could probably try it and see if it presents a problem, and then correct it, but thought it's worth pointing out :)
that is kinda what I was thinking. I can see any reason why it would cause problems becuase both line end up in the same place, but if it did adding the extra nipple wouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No, that they DON'T end up at the same place - remember that the radiator cap/overflow pipe (at the cap) is effectively blocked-off from the main tank 99% of the time - i.e except when the pressure relief spring in the cap opens and allows over-heated coolant to escape down the line to the overflow tank - so if you join the other bleeder line (from the cylinder head) to that same radiator cap/overflow line, any air/fluid that normally moves up from the cylinder into the main coolant tank will be blocked by the pressure cap and be diverted to the overflow tank instead.

Clear as mud? :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK!!!! now I see how that cap works.... In that case I will add the extra nipple for the second line.
Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stainless corse tank

grendels_arm said:
Motowheels sells the Corse tank. It's out of stock.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=3239&showDetail=1&categoryID=509|Ducati%20OEM%20Engine&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=bottle&collection=
I wasn't clear in my post. The original stainless steel corse tank is very rare. The late model plastic ones are a dime (sort of) a dozen. Had a couple myself. They are no better or worse than stock as far as leaking. At some point there have been some aluminum versions of the old style stainless tanks made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts