Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I saw it the other day prepping the bike for the track, tank was very loose in the pucks up front, almost ready to fall out. Second tank on the PS now. I lined it with two good solid coats of Caswell liner before a drop of fuel.
Additionally I must add that I rarely use ethanol or RFG gas. In fact 90% or more comes from the track pumps or a non-RFG station. That is what really concerns me.
I followed the prep directions to the T, and left it cure in the sun on a hot day several days in a row. Not a drop of fuel for at least two weeks??!! I'm starting to wonder if its the fuel frankly...
I spoke with the dealer and inquired about a shim kit, I need to bring the bike in and warranty the thing. So the bike is held hostage for weeks... No can do! This is utterly retarded. I'm ready to sell the fucker at this point, what a total waste of my time and money. Ok, rant over.

Has anyone else had the same issue post lining the tank?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
If you plan to get the ETI tank, be sure to get ahold of your pre-shim-kit brackets, otherwise the dealer will keep them. The ETI tank was molded off of the pre-shim-kit dimensions.

Sorry about your predicament, but I'm convinced that there is no solution to the tank spreading without changing the material the tank is made from.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yes.. mine warped on top and on front of the tank only a few months after coating. geospencer and several other PS owners had the same bad luck, and we used at least two different (very experienced) people to do the coating. No gas in them before coating, waited a while after coating before putting gas in, etc..

Yours is the first I've heard of that had the original pucks though. Ours all rippled on top/front but they had the larger pucks. I had decided that it was stress from the larger pucks causing the rippling.

read some other reports here

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Sounds like Caswell isn't working?

...Regarding those pucks (I assume you mean the metal cups/brackets that the tank's rubber bungs fit into?)... The tank on my SC was a bit loose (maybe expanded a little, or maybe just a loose fit) so I just refitted the cups after spacing them away from the frame with a few washers on each side, and now it's a nice snug fit.

Surely this is easier than getting new brackets? - Or you all talking about different parts?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
FBF just 'shimmed' it adding a spacer to bring out the bracket. This was before the deeper "fix-it" kit came out. No need to have it sit @ the dealer, make your own stand-off and get back on the track.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
How big a diff could it have made on the corporate bottom line if they'd just built 'em out of steel in the first place?
I'm sure they saved tons of money originally, but now after all the replacements? The Ducati bean counters must be in severe regret mode.

The absolute best thing Ducati could do right now is to commission a line of steel or aluminum replacement tanks for all affected models, offer them as official Ducati accessories, and authorize their use in warranty tank spreading replacements. They could also subsidize the cost to owners who haven't yet experienced spreading to make proactive replacement affordable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm worried now...

Caswell in a new tank - I'll keep an eye on it. I always try to use non-ethanol fuel as well.

Does anybody know the status of the "semi-affordable" aluminum tank (made in India)? At this point I'd rather invest in an aluminum (or steel if I painted it) tank.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I don't understand why they need to keep it for weeks. My dealer said the shim kit install takes about 30min, maybe 1 hour to add a new tank as well. To do my warranty claim they just had me come in and snapped a couple pics, and I rode home. That was a Saturday, the next day they were open was Tuesday, and I got a call that my claim was approved and a new tank on order.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't understand why they need to keep it for weeks. My dealer said the shim kit install takes about 30min, maybe 1 hour to add a new tank as well. To do my warranty claim they just had me come in and snapped a couple pics, and I rode home. That was a Saturday, the next day they were open was Tuesday, and I got a call that my claim was approved and a new tank on order.
Exactly. No reason for them to hold the bike at all. Hell, my SC1000 has a new bracket waiting for it. It's been there for about a month while I ride or am out of town. The dealer has no need to hold the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Yep, I saw it the other day prepping the bike for the track, tank was very loose in the pucks up front, almost ready to fall out. Second tank on the PS now. I lined it with two good solid coats of Caswell liner before a drop of fuel.
Additionally I must add that I rarely use ethanol or RFG gas. In fact 90% or more comes from the track pumps or a non-RFG station. That is what really concerns me.
I followed the prep directions to the T, and left it cure in the sun on a hot day several days in a row. Not a drop of fuel for at least two weeks??!! I'm starting to wonder if its the fuel frankly...
I spoke with the dealer and inquired about a shim kit, I need to bring the bike in and warranty the thing. So the bike is held hostage for weeks... No can do! This is utterly retarded. I'm ready to sell the fucker at this point, what a total waste of my time and money. Ok, rant over.

Has anyone else had the same issue post lining the tank?
Here you go ....FuelCel, Home of the Worlds best Composite Motorcycle Fuel Tanks !...

in the meantime I am working on another solution but am keeping quiet until things progress but dont get your hopes up ...

Muzz

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muzz, they are nice tanks but expensive and frankly I've yet to see anyone match the metal flake with these paints. It is an odd size I think? 1600+ 500 for paint and a flip top cap... Well over 2k. :( that's a pile of track mods, hell that's Damn near a bike. I'm thinking about dumping this pos off. I'm so disgusted with the marquee and the lack of support.

They should have replaced these tanks with a plastic, fiberglass or metal tank that will not fall apart again; instead they send us the same pos. They lost my business for good over this. I'm going KTM, Honda or Suzuki. Jokes on them as I'm ready to buy a new bike. At least I'll get some product support. For those who have not ridden an RC8r, all I have to say is wow! Performance, handling with top shelf bits right out of the box. Well built and well laid out with a comfortable rock solid ride. These bikes are everything a Bike should be but one thing, its kinda fugly. I can live with that with some trophies on the wall though;)

I love these bikes and if I buy another Duck it will be an older proven 2v model, not something I need to worry about catching on fire or becoming worthless in 10 yrs because the tanks are all fucked. I keep hoping someone will come up with a reasonable cost effective aluminium tank but I'm losing hope.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Took me ten minutes to space the bracket out with a set of washers. I didn't even take the tank right off the bike, just wedged it high with a cardboard box. Keeping the bike for weeks is a joke.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds like you dropped off your bike for service, and it's going to take 2 weeks to get to the bike. With a busy riding season, completely understandable. If the dealer was up front with you about how long it would take, well... it was your choice to drop it off.

Don't like it, either do it yourself, or take it to someone else. Plain and simple. But don't get pissed off at the dealer when they were up front about how long and how much. That's like hopping on a plane from NY to London, and bitching about how long it takes.

That being said, this case just proves to me once again that it's not the ethanol that causes the expansion. Everyone seemed to buy into the Caswell "Kool-Aid", which seems to have been proven ineffective more than a few times now.

It's no secret that these tanks warp. It's also no secret that Ducati is replacing them as needed. So ride the bike all season, and get a new tank over the winter. Plan ahead, and you won't be losing any riding or track time. At this point in time, tank spreading shouldn't surprise anyone.

Had enough? Sell it to me, get something else, and stop whining. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just submitted my second tank warranty claim, the first tank was replaced, this time (post class action) they want to put on the spacer kit first...one side is completely off the pucks...i should have opted outta the class and sued in small claims for $7,000.00 to get an aluminum tank made... My understanding is the expanded tank shrinks back down if dried out, I'd have had 2 tanks then. If the tank is still of the puck with the kit, they say they will replace it, we will see.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i personally think the warping is caused when the bike sits in the sun
often when i open the tank there will be a pressure build up in the tank as well
between the suns heat and pressure you get the expanssion
maybe the fuel cap vent is not working properly
there are a lot of suare inches of surface with these tanks it would not take
much to round them like a balloon

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
i personally think the warping is caused when the bike sits in the sun
often when i open the tank there will be a pressure build up in the tank as well
between the suns heat and pressure you get the expanssion
maybe the fuel cap vent is not working properly
there are a lot of suare inches of surface with these tanks it would not take
much to round them like a balloon
Nope, mine was garaged (no direct sunlight) and only ridden in sun, never sat for more than 1/2 hour in sun..3 tanks of ethanol and it was done...not playing the replace till they run out of tanks thing either (don't really enjoy spending that much time at dealer have better freaking things to do), finally got it replaced before warranty ran out and just running ethanol free fuel through it we will see.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I was going to get my new tank caswell coated before I read this,not going to bother now.
FWIW and stated previously, no expansion, none, nada, rien, zilch, since coating the tank bank in December '09 *and* I keep the tank full (as I always have).

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
FWIW and stated previously, no expansion, none, nada, rien, zilch, since coating the tank bank in December '09 *and* I keep the tank full (as I always have).
Enough people have had that experience that I'm having my new tank coated before I use it.

All of this should have been done several weeks ago. My dealer says that Ducati shipped it and that the only info available to them is that it has reached customs. Is that typical? Anyone know a way to speed things up?

-Don

1 - 20 of 45 Posts