Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 4 Ducatis over the years, all monsters. I absolutely loved my first 3 bikes but the last one had a plastic tank that expanded. It was still under warranty so I got it replaced for free, though it took Ducati a full month to ship it from Italy which spoiled any riding for June.
The way Ducati allowed the issue to go on for years without bothering to change the material really soured me on the brand.
When I sold my last Duc a couple years ago I thought I was done with them.
Recently paid a visit to a Ducati dealership and seeing all those beautiful new bikes rekindled the passion but I'm still a bit apprehensive.
So what's the deal, has Ducati changed the plastic formula to be compatible
with the ethanol content of most American gasoline?
If so when were the changes implemented?
I know about the legal settlement but I'm guessing that doesn't extend to used bikes.
Any clarification on whether the problem persists would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I don't know if they have changed the tank material but the class action settlement does apply to used bikes as well as new. The tank material on my 2013 looks just like the material on my 2011 Multistrada. I did ask my service tech if they had changed the tank material and he said that he had not heard or seen any information that Ducati had made a change.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Say no to plastic tanks.

I don't care what they make, if the tank is anything other than metallic? I will not buy it.'

Audi, are you listening?

Control your emotions and leave that unmetal tank stuff sit on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
26,120 Posts
Who knows? You pony up your 20G and take your chances. Maybe it's fixed, maybe it's not. Maybe Ducati will warranty your tank, maybe they beg off in some class action lawsuit and flip you off hard in five years.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Who knows? You pony up your 20G and take your chances. Maybe it's fixed, maybe it's not. Maybe Ducati will warranty your tank, maybe they beg off in some class action lawsuit and flip you off hard in five years.
::
Now there's an intelligent response. Let's reward irresponsible manufacturers with increased sales and support and fcuk it if they piss all over us. They are Ducati so we must deserve it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know I hear two different things whenever I'm talking to other Ducati owners. Some say the tank expansion issue is highly exaggerated and nothing to worry about, others however, say exactly the opposite. I hear its related to the ethanol in the gas and we have very little of that in our gas up here in Canada so perhaps thats the reason I hear very little about it.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I don't know I hear two different things whenever I'm talking to other Ducati owners. Some say the tank expansion issue is highly exaggerated and nothing to worry about, others however, say exactly the opposite. I hear its related to the ethanol in the gas and we have very little of that in our gas up here in Canada so perhaps thats the reason I hear very little about it.
Exactly. If you don't have ethanol in your gas then you have very little to worry about. The tank expansion issue is real, if it wasn't, a class action lawsuit would have failed to exist.

Shame on Ducati for handling the problem in the manner in which they did.

I'm happy that I don't have to think about it in regards to my Panigale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 2007 S4RS into my dealer on Thursday to get the tank checked, they phoned me today to tell me that my new tank had arrived!

While I am also disappointed by the whole tank swelling issue, I am extremely impressed that Ducati would cover my almost 6 year old bike.
I'm going to Caswell coat the inside of the new tank before installation.

This is a serious problem with the tanks, but it would not put me off from buying another Ducati.
My last new BMW had electronic issues that the dealership couldn't fix, it also had final drive failure. My last new Triumph had electrical issues, after 3 tries the dealership fixed it.
If the most important features of the bike were high reliability and high build quality then I'd buy another Honda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to info I found on the now defunct "superduke.net" site, KTM has changed plastic tank suppliers from Acerbis to a German company. Supposedly the new KTM replacement tanks are thicker and made of a different composition.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I took my 2007 S4RS into my dealer on Thursday to get the tank checked, they phoned me today to tell me that my new tank had arrived!

While I am also disappointed by the whole tank swelling issue, I am extremely impressed that Ducati would cover my almost 6 year old bike.
I'm going to Caswell coat the inside of the new tank before installation.

This is a serious problem with the tanks, but it would not put me off from buying another Ducati.
My last new BMW had electronic issues that the dealership couldn't fix, it also had final drive failure. My last new Triumph had electrical issues, after 3 tries the dealership fixed it.
If the most important features of the bike were high reliability and high build quality then I'd buy another Honda.
I had an 07 S4RS too; had the tank replaced and also coated. However reports of coated tanks also failing and my dealer explaining that coating was not a guarantee, COMBINED with Ducati supplying replacement ranks with the same material, led me to trade in my Monster for an aluminum-tanked bike. Still a Ducati (I'm that crazy) but no more plastic tanks ever.

Ducati has chosen to manage tank expansion on newer models with plastic tanks by making tanks physically smaller to provide room for expansion, and/or covering the plastic tanks with an outer facade to hide any expansion effects. Not good enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
::
Now there's an intelligent response. Let's reward irresponsible manufacturers with increased sales and support and fcuk it if they piss all over us. They are Ducati so we must deserve it.
I think what he means is more liek your buying the bike, not because you are supporting the company, but the production of the bike. Ducati isnt selling you a bike so you can have fun, they are selling it to make $$$

i think if you want a super reliable bike, you should purchase a japanese bike. IDK why you buy your Ducatis, but thats another thread...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I sold my Streetfighter after I got my out-of-warranty replacement tank from the settlement.

It really sucks, because that was my favorite bike ever. But I'm not going to be on the hook for another tank out of pocket in a year or two.

I'm on a Yamaha until Ducati gets this sorted out, because I'm also in the camp that refuses to buy another plastic tank'd bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Fact of the matter is....if buyers stop purchasing plastic tank equiped bikes, Ducati will change to a more appropriate tank material.
Do you know what the Panigale tank is made of?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Fact of the matter is....if buyers stop purchasing plastic tank equiped bikes, Ducati will change to a more appropriate tank material.
Do you know what the Panigale tank is made of?
Not plastic.

Their sales success (Pani) might suggest something.

I'm with ya, FunJ... ;)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On the Sport Classic forum some members are on their third tank and the class action settlement ends this year. A carbon/kevlar or aluminum tank will set you back $2000+

·
Registered
113 Posts
According to info I found on the now defunct "superduke.net" site, KTM has changed plastic tank suppliers from Acerbis to a German company. Supposedly the new KTM replacement tanks are thicker and made of a different composition.
Got a link to the new site? I'd be interested in seeing what type of material they switched to. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts