Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit the 5000mile mark and I just noticed today that one of the tank fairing mounts are cracked. It looks as if my fuel tank is suffering from expansion.

Has anyone else here had this problem and if so what ended up being the fault?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Motorcycle App

Attachments

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i noticed the left side panel on my fuel tank has a very slightly larger gap than the right side.

nothing has cracked and i loosened all the fasteners a bit to avoid what has happened to yours. for all we know it could be the panels shrinking instead of the tank swelling:confused:

i'm definately keeping an eye on it now!

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Yep...my next bike is gonna have a steel tank.

OP, search the forum for more information than you really wanted to know about expanding tanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mine is at dealer waiting on new panels (they had a tank) but like me, they could not get the panels off so must of destroyed them in the process. Spinning nuts, but I have had the panels off at least twice before the nuts started spinning.

From the looks of the panels where the bolts made marks, they had shifted like the panel shrunk or the tank expanded. Just my thoughts no facts other than I wait for parts for my bike.

The Super Tenere has a steel tank.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The tanks are made with the same material as the ones on the 1098, 848, SF, and such by Acerbis and they all have the swelling problem, it's the Ethanol in the fuel, get the tank coated and you won't have that problem.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The tanks are made with the same material as the ones on the 1098, 848, SF, and such by Acerbis and they all have the swelling problem, it's the Ethanol in the fuel, get the tank coated and you won't have that problem.
I have owned a 1098, a 848, and currently have a SF. I put StarTron in my tanks as a treatment for ethanol fuel. I have NEVER had a tank problem period.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have owned a 1098, a 848, and currently have a SF. I put StarTron in my tanks as a treatment for ethanol fuel. I have NEVER had a tank problem period.
I'm just as lucky as you are but you should check the other sites to understand what I'm talking about, some people are on the 2nd and 3rd tank!
It's just a matter of time, some go faster than others. I used Stabil marine fuel stabilizer made just for ethanol but some people had the tank swelling even though the used that. I like preventive maintenance, fix it before it breaks, I'd rather coat the tank and be done with it!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don’t feel that is my job to seal a fuel tank on a motorcycle that is still under warranty. This is something that should have been addressed at the manufacture’s level.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Where do you get the tank coated and how is it done; do you need to remove the tank to coat it?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm just as lucky as you are but you should check the other sites to understand what I'm talking about, some people are on the 2nd and 3rd tank!
It's just a matter of time, some go faster than others. I used Stabil marine fuel stabilizer made just for ethanol but some people had the tank swelling even though the used that. I like preventive maintenance, fix it before it breaks, I'd rather coat the tank and be done with it!
I have a SF and I view that forum every day. Like I stated before I have never ever had a tank issue on any of my Ducati's. Maybe I should just go play lotto while I'm at it.

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Maybe you should. My KTM 950 Supermoto would deform the tank if it was off the bike for more than a day - empty or full. The way it was mounted on the bike it couldn't deform mounted, but once off, look out! It was quite the project getting it back on.

My 950 Adventure tanks (plural) are basically slabs on each side of the bike and I have to use a bottle jack to flex it enough to re-mount it. The paint is flaking off where it flexes.

Acerbis makes those tanks, too.

The Super Tenere has a steel tank.
Yeah, I noticed that. :cool:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I just don’t feel that is my job to seal a fuel tank on a motorcycle that is still under warranty. This is something that should have been addressed at the manufacture’s level.
I completely agree but I personally am not going to deal with anymore hassles than the one I had with my SF. If the MTS12 tank expands then the new one will be coated as well.

Middle finger to Ducati.

ps: I like the Tenere and Startron as well :)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have a SF and I view that forum every day. Like I stated before I have never ever had a tank issue on any of my Ducati's. Maybe I should just go play lotto while I'm at it.
Are you in the US?

·
Registered
165 Posts
LaRossa, have you actually used the Caswell sealer yourself? If so, how did the application go? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Pikes Peak but now I'm leery. Not sure if I should buy it and use the sealer or wait and see if Ducati convert to aluminum tanks or something compatible, especially considering there is a class action law suit over this. I can see problems getting new panels for the Pikes Peak down the road...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
LaRossa, have you actually used the Caswell sealer yourself? If so, how did the application go? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Pikes Peak but now I'm leery. Not sure if I should buy it and use the sealer or wait and see if Ducati convert to aluminum tanks or something compatible, especially considering there is a class action law suit over this. I can see problems getting new panels for the Pikes Peak down the road...
Yes, I've done it on my SFS last winter as preventive mantenaince and so far has turned out to be a great idea in my case.
Don't let this issue stop you from getting the PP, I doubt they'll come out with a metal version of the tank any time soon, just do the treatment on the new tank and you'll be set but just remember that this will probably void the warranty. To tell you the truth I doubt anyone would be able to tell you coated the tank since the inside of the tank is shiny clear and after the treatment looks exactly the same sinse the coating is clear just like the stock finish.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's good to hear it's a clear material. Hopefully the bond will hold up. I saw some stories about Kreem coming loose on older metal restoration attempts but I think it's all about surface prep. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts