Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has begun.

Today I took my stock SFS to my local Dynojet tuner for a baseline dyno run. I've posted the results below. My full Termi system has arrived and it will be installed on 9/25/09. I plan on another dyno session the following weekend to see how the DP ECU cleans things up. One run with and without the DB killers. Then a PowerCommanderV will be installed and a custom map created, hopfully reaching the holy grail of 13.1 AFR just as Mospeada's 1198S

How does the max of 144.08hp look? With a claimed 155hp at the crank, that seems good... No torque on a baseline run but as the tuning begins that will be displayed. Anyhow, for those interested, stay tuned... Comments welcome of course :)

The guys at MPH were friendly, and answered all of my questions. Thanks for the positive experience...
I had the DDA running for the dyno run, I'll post the log later today...

Yeah. It's really lean... I wonder who tunes the pre-production engines at Ducati, and if a *real* map exists?

Its later... :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update: 1hp difference between db killers in and out

This past Saturday we had a break in the rainy weather so I headed off to the dyno for a run with the full termi setup. My goal was to establish a baseline with the full system before a custom map creation with a Power Commander V. I also wanted to see if there was a drastic HP difference when running the db killers (Exhaust baffles) and when not running them. I love the sound of the unrestricted Termis, but I wanted an option of having the DB killers in for early AM departures from home and when I want to ride aggressively without attracting attention. Anyhow, the results are below...

Run 1 Full Termi, no db killers
As expected the A/F is still all jacked up...

Run 2 Full Termi db killers
No loss of peak HP with the db's in... No A/F as the tech could not insert the sniffer with the db's installed.

A sum of the two dyno runs above as seen by the Ducati DDA

Needless to say, a gain of 6hp peak is hardly worth the expense of the full system. However I do believe that there are positives (and a few negatives) to this system...

Positives::)
1) Aesthetics: The header pipes look as if they are of higher quality stainless, and the silencers look amazing in person.
2) Weight savings: The Termi full system weighs 12lb less than the stock system due to the catalysts in the stock mufflers.
3) Willingness to rev: The 1098 in my SFs is transformed. I find myself using more of the rev band as the engine loves to rev where it did not before.
4) Sound: Incredible!, and not too bad even with the db killers installed.
5) Driveability: Much improved over stock and why I started this quest in the first place. The issues (stuttering, bucking, hesitation and hypersensitivity) are reduced by, in my opinion 85%.
6) The ability to tune: This is why I purchased the exhaust in the first place, I don't care about the peak HP numbers as much as I care about the ability to tune for a proper A/F.

Negatives::(
1) Cost: Holy crap, 2.8K for an exhaust system.
2) Low RPM torque loss: The servo motor, exhaust flap, and the smaller diameter pipe were actually doing something! I had expected a small dip in torque on the low end but honestly not this much. Its not crippling, but noticeable. Small throttle inputs used to produce nice wheelies. Now, I just need to dial in a bit more throttle, no big deal. Plus before the full system the stuttering, bucking, hesitation and hypersensitivity were terrible. How easily I forget. The dyno tech and my mechanic (separate people) assure me that when properly mapped via the Power Commander V I will regain this low end torque and then some. I know I could just regear the final drive and regain the original low RPM feel. I am going to wait till after the custom map is complete before changing the gearing to 15/41 or 42 as I expect the results of the custom map to be dramatic and I dont want to overgear and produce an unmanageable wheelie machine.
3) No installation instructions: Yeah, you're gonna be winging it... You'll do fine.
4) Fit and finish: The carbon silencers are difficult to line up in parallel to each other. I had to insert the fingers of my right hand in between the canisters and "over align" them so that when the bolts were tightened they ended up mostly parallel. They're not perfect, but they haven't moved either.

So, the next, and hopefully the final step to A/F nirvana is to tune via a Power Commander 5. I'm also considering the auto tune module from Dynojet as well, I just dont like having to hog out my pipes to get the wide band o2 to fit properly. As they say, stay tuned... Comments are welcome...

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
yea,, you loose back pressure from the exhaust and you loose low end torque

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed...

yea,, you loose back pressure from the exhaust and you loose low end torque
I just did not expect it to be as pronounced as it was. I'm guessing *fingers crossed* that a properly tuned for A/F full system will outperform a stock w/termi slip-on in every way. I guess we'll see!

The weather is turning for the worst here in the midwest, so we may have to wait till next year for the results. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts