Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night I unhooked the cable to the exhaust valve on the stock muffler (just the lower part) and left the cable just hanging there. I wanted to see if it would throw a code.
I had read some stuff somewhere that said if you can unhook the cable without moving the servo, then you won't get check engine light. (this was the same thread that people were talking about way's and affects of removing it.
Anyway, as a side affect to doing this I've noticed the flat spot is much less significant on the bike.. I also haven't gotten a reflash yet so maybe the two combined would be really great.. or it may just be horrid. I'll find out in several weeks when I make it to the dealer. (also, the bike hasn't thrown a code yet, but I haven't ridden enough to know for sure if it will)

also if anybody is interested in also trying this. when the bike is cold.. just twist the exhaust valve to closed and pull the cable end out of it's clip. very easy and quick (which is why I thought I would try it).
If it works out well for a significant time then I will remove the cable.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hi Mate

I was thinking of trying this as my old Ninja had the same sort of valve & it had a yoshi underseat can, but the servo was still under the seat moving away with no cable on.
Will pull it off this week & try it (ooh matron):)

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea,, the main reason I want to do it is to remove the cable.. one less line. But removing the servo isn't an option right now (though I'm sure there is a way) because it throws a code if you just unplug it (I tried that first).

Hi Mate

I was thinking of trying this as my old Ninja had the same sort of valve & it had a yoshi underseat can, but the servo was still under the seat moving away with no cable on.
Will pull it off this week & try it (ooh matron):)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I unhooked mine last night too (takes about 5 seconds), and went for about a 10 mile ride. I have to say there was a noticeable difference. The bike was much smoother, but does anyone know if it will be a problem somewhere else? It didn't hurt the top end at all. It still pulls freaking hard. What is that valve for anyway, and it's only in one pipe?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I unhooked mine last night too (takes about 5 seconds), and went for about a 10 mile ride. I have to say there was a noticeable difference. The bike was much smoother, but does anyone know if it will be a problem somewhere else? It didn't hurt the top end at all. It still pulls freaking hard. What is that valve for anyway, and it's only in one pipe?
Have you had the reflash ecu? And is your bike stock? From a previous post someone said that it was for noise control only but don't they use these valves on exhausts to tune for low end torque? At least I know I've heard of that on many Inline 4 applications. I personally would give up some low end torque for smoothness!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Me too, it has plenty of low end, so smoothness would be the choice. My bike has Termi slip ons with the race ECU, 2 Fatducs (installed, but I haven't made any adjustments yet), but I am not sure if the dealer did a reflash at the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Me too, it has plenty of low end, so smoothness would be the choice. My bike has Termi slip ons with the race ECU, 2 Fatducs (installed, but I haven't made any adjustments yet), but I am not sure if the dealer did a reflash at the 600 mile service.
From what Ive read here, there is no update for the Termi race ECU yet. So the question remains, is it possible to piggy back a power commander on top of your ECU and tune it on a dyno? Someone in another thread said he did this but why does no one seem to know about it? If someone knows or has done this please list specifics, I.E power commander model, tuning mechanic, etc. I want to upgrade my exhaust but not if it's at the cost of rideability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The fatducs helped the most, and made it much more liveable. I am sure with some fine tuning on them and the air mixture screws, I can get it dialed in. I just haven't had the time. If the bike came delivered like it is now, probably no one would have ever said anything, but it's still noticeable. Very liveable though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have 1800 miles on mine without the valve. It is just for noise. Take the nut off the bottom of the servo motor and you can rid yourself of the cable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 1800 miles on mine without the valve. It is just for noise. Take the nut off the bottom of the servo motor and you can rid yourself of the cable.
Is it to quiet the bike down? Maybe part of the Euro 3 emissions deal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
noise emissions are tested around 5500rpm's and this valve will partially close at or near that rpm range to eliminate extra exhaust noise. and I believe tested at 5500rpm's and in 2nd gear, I havent got down and looked at the actual valve operation in all gears at all rpms yet, but soon and i will report on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Following on from this thread I decided to do this on my SF - I have to say the engine runs much smoother through 3.5k to 4k now ! Although not perfect this has made my bike much better, took about 5 minutes to do it too.

By the way hello from a new member here in the UK !

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
See us Brits are not as superior as you yanks. The difference being if we took a swig of OUR beer it would take 30 mins as its not poofy shandy in a coke can..:D

·
Registered
465 Posts
See us Brits are not as superior as you yanks. The difference being if we took a swig of OUR beer it would take 30 mins as its not poofy shandy in a coke can..:D
Hahahahahaha! That was a good one!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Being a lame yankee (who would be happy to provide a good beer to a Brit), can anyone shoot a pic of the part in question?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
poofy shandy?
Yes its a pint (yes a full whole pint) of beer , but it comprises of half beer (lager or bitter) added to that is half lemonade

Usually drank by poofs...or queers, gays , fags or whatever you yanks call em:D

It has been known for English Southerners to also drink said beer as they are not as tough as us Northern monkeys :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Being a lame yankee (who would be happy to provide a good beer to a Brit), can anyone shoot a pic of the part in question?
Sito

If you get on your knees & look under the middle of the bike , just before the swingarm there i a sort of exup valve on the exhaust . You will see a spring & a cable which runs up & under the seat.
If you disconnect it a the valve it will stay open all the time as it seems to shut on throttle shut off.

Once disconnected you can then take off the seat & remove from the servo. Do not unplug the servo as it brings up a fault.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
A shandy is also very common in Australia, typically a ladies drink tho'. Lemonade here in the States is a lemon drink.... shandy is made half beer and half "sprite" or Seven Up", "soda". :rolleyes:
They don't know how to make a shandy here in the US.
And as for Budweiser and Coors, its stretching the limits of credibility and socially acceptable behaviour calling that crap beer, but that is a little off topic sorry.
Call me an old girly blouse :eek: but I'd rather a good shandy than a Coors or Bud.... the shandy would still have flavor! :) and now.......
back to motorcycles.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts