Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Side-by-side pipes are known as shotgun exhausts. Why do you call them stingers?
Image #1 = shotguns.

Image #2 = not shotguns.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I disagree. Whatever.
No problem. These are all opinions anyhow. I am aware of no ~rules~ anywhere that state one thing is a stinger, one other thing a shotgun exhaust, and some other thing is a dirt track exhaust. No problem on my end, no need to go all ~whatever~ about it either. You can call them whatever you like. I'll do the same. Everybody happy!

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
But then why did you make the post with the two pictures if not to prove your point and to try to sway my point of view?
Ok ... once more ... it's just my opinion .... I'm not trying to sway anyone's point of view ... I just used the two pictures to point out what I call different systems. Why is this such a big deal? All of this over opinions of pipe names? Dayum son.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've done a ton of Dyno testing on this very subject and built many different configurations and tested just about all the systems for the 900ss engines. It was a few years ago, so Ill dig up the plots and post them soon.

Simply put, just like history has shown the Spaghetti system makes the most top end power giving up midrange to the 2:1. For race and RPM range over 6k I would want the Spaghetti Design. For street and better seat of the pants feel I would want the 2:1. Believe it or not since these motors fire at 270 degrees, a classic merge collector does not provide good scavenging and can hurt performance. I got the best of both worlds with proper length open pipes no collector but a crossover at an optimum position so they can talk but not scavenge. But trust me nobody wants to hear that noise. All of this testing was on a built motor similar to 4Rings build. So a stock motor may have a different outcome, as cam timing Compression ratio and exhaust duration plays an important role, especially with the ST2 cams which in my opinion have too much exhaust duration. Ill post some plots soon.
<sigh> seems most are much more interested in speculating.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am not choosing sides here at all ==people call different things different names all the time--I think people that call a Coke or any other soft drink a soda are idiots ---a Coke is a Coke --a Sprite is what it is --if I order Soda then damn it I want a Club Soda. lol

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've done a ton of Dyno testing on this very subject and built many different configurations and tested just about all the systems for the 900ss engines. It was a few years ago, so Ill dig up the plots and post them soon.

Simply put, just like history has shown the Spaghetti system makes the most top end power giving up midrange to the 2:1. For race and RPM range over 6k I would want the Spaghetti Design. For street and better seat of the pants feel I would want the 2:1. Believe it or not since these motors fire at 270 degrees, a classic merge collector does not provide good scavenging and can hurt performance. I got the best of both worlds with proper length open pipes no collector but a crossover at an optimum position so they can talk but not scavenge. But trust me nobody wants to hear that noise. All of this testing was on a built motor similar to 4Rings build. So a stock motor may have a different outcome, as cam timing Compression ratio and exhaust duration plays an important role, especially with the ST2 cams which in my opinion have too much exhaust duration. Ill post some plots soon.
So I guess I need to post the Dyno plots with explanations. I will do it one post at a time as it gets confusing. Lets start with the final plots of a few different versions all at once

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
FWIW my opinion would be to get an Arrow System like for this monster and have it custom modified to fit.

It will give you the look you want, and the separate pipes with only an "x pipe" for them to talk with no merge collector would in my best guess give you a smooth power curve. They sound awesome too.

However I have no idea how much work to make it fit or if they are even still available

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
FWIW my opinion would be to get an Arrow System like for this monster and have it custom modified to fit.

It will give you the look you want, and the separate pipes with only an "x pipe" for them to talk with no merge collector would in my best guess give you a smooth power curve. They sound awesome too.

However I have no idea how much work to make it fit or if they are even still available
Judging by the image they appear to be made from stainless steel. Stainless is easily welded, and my home shop is equipped with a 300amp AC/250ampDC tig welding machine. It's an older design that uses an HF (high frequency) arc starting system, but welding on stainless can actually be done by just "scratch starting" the arc.

That exhaust system appears to be a good candidate for use as a foundation. I'll be keeping my eyes open over the next year or so.

Thanks!!

:)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i think you'll have to move it out to the right a lot to clear the swingarm. you'd need to start with an 800 one too, for the head flange.
This is the type of information I'll need to collect. Thanks a lot.

:smile2:

41 - 54 of 54 Posts