Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1 of 2 posts):

Without going full-on one off/custom, are there exhaust systems to fit the 1990s 900 SS/CR models that look like the ones in the images attached to this opening post?

What I mean by "look like" is the high-swept dual side-pipe/mufflers (I call them "stingers") that are both on the same side of the motorcycle. I have no preference over which side they're on. I don't need Titanium, stainless is fine. The system doesn't even need to include the mufflers or slip-ons, that portion of the system can be left up to my choice ... in fact that would even be preferable (slip-ons not being included) but not a deal killer. But I'd prefer it if the upswept same side system did not include mufflers/stingers/slip-ons (pick you verbage). That way I'm not paying for something I may not like.

Images .... examples of what the basic idea is that I'd like to have;

*** Images #9 is my favorite example on this post, however see note below.

This is Post #1 of 2. I ran out of total per-post allowed images ... post #2 has the final few examples. The main idea is to have the stingers being horizontally aligned with the surface of the road. The system must fit the 1996 900SS/CR frame, although if some minor frame welding/modifications are needed that might be ok as well ... as long as those modifications don't involve too much chop/cut stuff on the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
(Post # 2 of 2)

Continuing from the opening post of this thread:

*** Image #1 is the other favorite design.

*** Image #2 and #3 are alternatives to the high-pipe design. But I really prefer the high-pipe setup.

Between Image #1 on this post, and Image #9 in the first post, those are the two I like best.

STINGERS: I'd really like to "have it all" ... meaning I would like to mate up the same-side dual high pipe exhaust system with the GPR INOX slip-ons.

*** Image #4, #5, #6 = GPR INOX stainless slip on stingers. I already have those (Image #6).

SUMMARY: Upswept exhaust system (Image #9 in the first post and Image #1 in this post) with the GPR INOX stainless slip ons (Images #4, #5, #6 in this post). Fitted to a 1996 900CR.

Any ideas on how to get there without going fully blown custom one-off? If I could just buy the exhaust system itself, things like mounting brackets, and perhaps minor frame modifications like a few welded on tabs or the like I can DIY on my own. Again, no Titanium, stainless is fine.

I'm just researching this for now ... it isn't a must-have at the moment. It all depends on how much it might cost, etc ....

Thanks. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I’ve never seen anything like that on a carby that wasn’t completely hand built. If you can’t do the fabrication yourself it’s going to be expensive.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are looking at a bespoke system break out the credit card and be ready to pay

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
Re. Exhaust system like this for 1990s SS/CR ??

I believe it was ARC Fabrication that used to make the twin right side shotgun exhaust Rex. I heard they went out of business years ago though.

Forum member Greggkirby has a set of those twin shotguns on his '92 900SS. They look absolutely cool as all hell! Might wanna PM him and ask where he got them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I believe it was ARC Fabrication that used to make the twin right side shotgun exhaust Rex. I heard they went out of business years ago though.

Forum member Greggkirby has a set of those twin shotguns on his '92 900SS. They look absolutely cool as all hell! Might wanna PM him and ask where he got them.
Check out the '92 900 SS under the Custom Bike section of Desmo Times Home Page for more details on the SS.

It's a cool build. Unfortunately, the exhaust was a one off. LT at Desmo Times might be able to provide more details, though.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Yes I want to say I was at the shop when Doug Cook made LT's system, he made a few sets of that style and they are pretty awesome. I am fortunate to have a couple of Doug's exhaust on a couple monsters and I do miss him building pipe dreams for the rest of us. A good exhaust fabricator can make you a similar system I seldom see them work as well so finding someone who can build a system for your motor instead of just sticking tubing together would be good if you care.

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
Thank God!

That Indian in the first post ....

Sir - How would you like your testicles done?

Very well done please.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank God!

That Indian in the first post ....

Sir - How would you like your right testicle done?

Very well done please.
There, I fixed it for you... :grin2:

·
Registered
635 Posts
The key here is this---How much money do you have to build a custom exhaust system. It is going to be more then --Damn I like the looks of that---looks are one thing--does it really work correctly is a completely different thing ---If you dont know or the builder does not know the correct calculations to make -shape- & design the system for optimum performance for what you have then run away screaming

·
Registered
554 Posts
The key here is this---How much money do you have to build a custom exhaust system. It is going to be more then --Damn I like the looks of that---looks are one thing--does it really work correctly is a completely different thing ---If you dont know or the builder does not know the correct calculations to make -shape- & design the system for optimum performance for what you have then run away screaming
Don't worry about that, Rex knows everything!

He even knows what a floating rear brake is and what a rear brake does!!! Unlike "Most" of us........

·
Registered
179 Posts
It was before I bought myself 900SS that I was casually surfing and looking for 2-into-1 exhaust for it, and what do you know, I ran into this thread on the forum. What I'm trying to say is that this may not be as complicated as it sounds if you want to DIY following this.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/81269-my-2-into-1-exhaust-project.html
Then from there, you can just put the splitter, and you just have to fab a couple of lead pipes. I have absolutely no idea how effective it is though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
problem with 2 into 1 exhaust systems is that although you do get a little better mid-range power your other areas suffer

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Is adapting a Sport Classic exhaust an option? Looks like someone fit a mono exhaust on to their GT1000 here:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/156241-feedback-2-1-exhaust-biposto-swingarm.html#post1533929
No connection to the seller, but another example of a 2-1 from a Sport Classic. I wish I had the coin to add this to my future project parts pile.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-parts-accessories/725731-ducati-sport-classic-termignoni-full-system.html

1 - 20 of 54 Posts