Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am siting here looking at these exhaust seals for the 999's slip-fit exhaust joints. Apparently they can go on either way. It would seem sensible to push them on to the inner section of the slip-fit joint opening toward the exit end, then insert that into the outer section. Back-flowing gasses would then tend to force the seal to flare, assisting the seal.

What is the proper orientation of these things relative to exhaust flow?

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I am siting here looking at these exhaust seals for the 999's slip-fit exhaust joints. Apparently they can go on either way. It would seem sensible to push them on to the inner section of the slip-fit joint opening toward the exit end, then insert that into the outer section. Back-flowing gasses would then tend to force the seal to flare, assisting the seal.

What is the proper orientation of these things relative to exhaust flow?
Hmmmmm...I;ve never used exhaust seals for my 57mm Termi system. Just slip the pipes together and bolt them up. Probably should have used the gasket sealer stuff. But, never had an issue and she runs perfect...

What's the best brand of exhaust sealer?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the ''v'' faces the rear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol that sucks Brian.

What were you doing taking the exhaust off in the first place? Polishing? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol that sucks Brian.

What were you doing taking the exhaust off in the first place? Polishing? ;)
Ceramic coating.......... Let me know how your right leg feels!:D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I also install the V facing backwards, but somehow on the larger diameter side the exhaust system manage to blow that seal out after a couple of miles.

get ready for some wiggling to re install that breadbox

SF

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I also install the V facing backwards, but somehow on the larger diameter side the exhaust system manage to blow that seal out after a couple of miles.

get ready for some wiggling to re install that breadbox

SF
Yes, That's what happened on mine, with the seals installed backward. I have soot deposits on the rear sub-frame heat shield and it's suddenly noisier.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
When I put my Termi Slip On on I noted a priorly unknown leak at the can. According to Ducvet, most XX9 systems leak. He suggested doubling up on the exhaust seals, Since I had extra I did. Hence no leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I put my Termi Slip On on I noted a priorly unknown leak at the can. According to Ducvet, most XX9 systems leak. He suggested doubling up on the exhaust seals, Since I had extra I did. Hence no leaks.
Good call..... That's what I was planning to do next.

Perhaps double seals and proper seal orientation will do the trick!

·
Registered
463 Posts
They wrap around the smaller pipe, inside and outside after you bend them. If you put them in wrong or just put them in the larger size pipe they will go flying out of the back of the exhaust when you rev her up. It is kind of comical to see one go shooting 15 feet out of your exhaust while warming the bike up:)

Since I knew I had a full system in the works I just used the orance high temp silicon sealer on mine and it worked fine until I took the system apart to install the full exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts