Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding a couple weekends ago during some relatively cold weather and on my way home late in the day my exhaust starting popping very loudly when coming off the throttle fast. I attributed to the end of the day temps dropping and leaning out the AF mixture. I rode it today in "normal" temps and it was still there................nasty it is.

I would normally attribute something like this to an exhaust leak causing a lean mixture when under compression braking. I did a once over on the bike and didn't see any major loose parts on the exhaust or anything else abnormal. I suppose it could be my PCIII or ECU or something else in the electronics. I also happened to stop and fuel up immediately before I noticed the problem. I don't know if I got a shot of bad gas or maybe I have a plugged injector.

It otherwise runs as good as ever. Any suggestions on what else to look for?

I have a full Zard, DP ECU, DP lid, PCIII, and DNA filter added to the bike.

Thanks.

Out!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I think it is an exhaust leak, maybe a loose joint or I need to retorque the header nuts. Maybe replace the copper crush gaskets. It is not likely from a crack in the header or anything like that, cause that typically produces a true single backfire.

What I really don't understand is that it was running normal when I pulled up to get gas. When I left it started popping pretty loudly almost immediately, which could mean something more along the lines of electronics going bad since it was more instantaneous vs a gradual buildup in noise like something loosening up.

I am due for an oil change and some other basic maintenance, so I guess I will have to do a better evaluation. If I can't figure it out, it will be off to the dealer and maybe back on the dyno.

Out!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
axe -

check the tightness of the battery leads under the seat ... had similar/same issue, and the ground lead was loose.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I will do a once over on the elctrical too. I recall those threads, but it actually runs just fine, it just sounds godawful when backing her down. Almost embarrasing, like a poorly running Harley with straight pipes.

Out!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got around to looking at my Hyper. As I suspected, it was an exhaust leak a major one at that. I lost the bung plug out of the front exhaust bung. That explains why it came on so suddenly during the middle of my ride.

I guess after they did my PCIII tuning a while back they didn't tighten them very hard. The rear one was loose too and would have eventually fell out as well. I was running antisieze too and that may have contributed to them vibrating loose.

Anyway, I guess I will get a new plug and get back to business. I don't know where to find one locally, so I will start with a metric button head bolt from Ace and chop it down short so it ain't plugging up the exhaust.

The moral of the story..............................watch your bung hole.

Out!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
PM me where you want it shipped and I'll fire it off to you tomorrow gratis. I've got them in stock with the copper washer.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
PM me where you want it shipped and I'll fire it off to you tomorrow gratis. I've got them in stock with the copper washer.
:eek:Now that's service!Wow.
On an unrelated topic, my dealer, whom I bought the bike from, just charged me $2.50 for a front axle nut washer that wasn't on my Hyper S from the factory.I assume it's supposed to have one since the disc shows one and it just makes sense. He also had a bag of them in stock which was surprising since they don't stock shit for parts.:think:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well that's settled then. I know where I'm doing my parts shopping from now on.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
He also had a bag of them in stock which was surprising since they don't stock shit for parts.:think:
not surprising at all ... they remove the washer when doing the PDI on new bikes, and keep these washers in a bag, behind the parts counter :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Anthony, I guess I never even thought to give you a shout. I am glad you read these posts.

I can tell you that Anthony was great to work with from the moment I first contacted him about purchasing the Zard system. The Zard has been great and Anthony's pricing and service the best, this confirms the latter.

Anthony, do you recommend running antisieze on these plugs? Or is it just "lubing" the screw allowing it to work loose given the vibrations?

Thanks.

Out!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Anthony, do you recommend running antisieze on these plugs? Or is it just "lubing" the screw allowing it to work loose given the vibrations?
If you don't use anti-seize they are almost impossible to get out! In Ducati training they made it a point to tell us to do this during the PDI so that we can get them out when it's time for service work later on!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
not surprising at all ... they remove the washer when doing the PDI on new bikes, and keep these washers in a bag, behind the parts counter :rolleyes:
That makes sense. Maybe they have the original right fairing screws that they replaced with Honda hardware back there too???:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts