Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 998 with full termignoni exhaust
I has been years since I started her. I finally have some time to troubleshoot this.
The idle sounds a bit high. Where can I adjust idle to lower it?
Is it normal for temps to get to 220?

I do see both fans on the radiator kick ON which is a good thing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Did you ride the bike or just let it run in the garage? How long did you have it running?

If you were just letting it run on the stand then a glowing exhaust and the temperature are not particularly unusual given enough time (all Ducati Superbikes struggle to stay cool if they are not moving). If you were riding the bike the temperature is more of a concern.

From the needle it looks a little high, however the tacho is not particularly accurate so verify the engine speed using the diagnostic port and an appropriate interface. Check the hand throttle is off all the way before looking to lower the idle settings. All said 1500 rpm is the idle speed for later Ducati's and only about 300 rpm high for a 998, you will also need the rest of engine to be pretty spot on to get a reliable 1200 rpm idle (valve clearances, throttle body balance etc).

·
Registered
444 Posts
They all do it. Most people don't let their bike sit at idle long enough at night to see it.
Yep, made that mistake once ..............buckled the belly pan on my cheap Chinese plastics (luckily)>:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts