Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having problems with the position of the exhast pipe on my 2001 750SS. Since I have converted to full fairings I seem to have two clearance issues. The biggest concern is that the left pipe is coming in contact with the lower fairing near where it connnects to the slip-on. It appears to be too far to the rear of the bike as it doesn't line up with the cutout as I have seen on other bikes pictures. It's already melted a small section on the inside of the plastic. Additionally the kickstand contacts the fairing when I lower it. Adjustment of the fairing to improve either point of contact makes the other worse.

I recently removed the headers and tried to reposition them. It looked like I was successful until I reinstalled the stock slip-ons (not the originals) when it forced the pipe back to where I started.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I am about to remove the headers again to replace the exhaust gaskets and then replace the slip-ons with DP(Remus) low mount cans. Any recommendations on how I can get everything better aligned during reassembly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Clark

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I believe that's a common problem on the SSie bikes. Some just deal with it, others cut the fairing lowers a bit to get some clearance. You can try to unbolt and then rebolt the fairings to get some shift into them so that the exhaust can/may clear.

I recall someone stating that the fairings were slightly improved in that area on more modern fairings but I've never seen it so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ok I had this problem from day one on my 01 900SS. Here was the dealer fix. Firstly they replaced the left hand lower fairing and pivoted the exhaust. This was almost successful except it touched and burnt the right hand side then.. They replaced that and then fitted 5 x 1/4" bright steel flat washers and a longer bolt. That will space the fairing off the exhaust. The side stand issue I didn't have. When you got the lower fairings did you get the " stand off " posts as well?

Mal

·
Registered
43 Posts
My son has had this with his 02 900 SS FF and the problem seems to be with the joint in the header to the rear cylinder allowing the lower part to slip down and thus contact the fairing.

Ducati replaced the fairings first time round and he caught it in time second time.

My 01 has been no problem in this respect.

Barry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts