Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the model has been out a little while what are the options for exhausts?
Gotta say it seems to be Termi or nuttin from all my googling!
And big bucks too........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Kel said:
Now that the model has been out a little while what are the options for exhausts?
Check out Zard and Staintune. I know they have released gear.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Kel said:
Some in development locally w/fixed baffle along the lines of old school and with better ground clearance. Will exit both sides.

John

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's not me and can't be more specific. I haven't seen even a proto as of yet.

John

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
johnrg said:
Some in development locally w/fixed baffle along the lines of old school and with better ground clearance. Will exit both sides.
Old old school? Left-Right, High-Low (or High-High)? :yeah: Keep us posted.
RonB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kel said:
Can the originals be CORED??
That is the question of the day, I doubt it will be a popular subject, but I'm going to bring it up on Satuday at Pro Italia, I'll be there for my 600 mile. If the stock ECU can handle it, I'm comepletely in favor of the cored muffler Vs $1700+++ Termi's

·
Registered
243 Posts
wa6usa said:
That is the question of the day, I doubt it will be a popular subject, but I'm going to bring it up on Satuday at Pro Italia, I'll be there for my 600 mile. If the stock ECU can handle it, I'm comepletely in favor of the cored muffler Vs $1700+++ Termi's
Ditto. I'm sure I'll go with the Termi's or Zards at some point, but if I can keep the stockers and let a little more music out, I'll be quite happy for some time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Kel said:
Can the originals be CORED??
anything can be done, but they didnt build these like first picture showed (and like all other ducs). the caps are welded on instead of riveted. not that it can't be done, just would take lots of time, great welds, and lots of money since you would have to recoat them.

imho...not worth it

-phreek

·
Registered
66 Posts
bassphreek said:
anything can be done, but they didnt build these like first picture showed (and like all other ducs). the caps are welded on instead of riveted. not that it can't be done, just would take lots of time, great welds, and lots of money since you would have to recoat them.

imho...not worth it

-phreek
I see that the welds will be a headache. It seems like the diameter of the pipe is the only major consideration for replacing the two black cans. Isn't there a standard size pipe that allows us to exchange the cans, (like the slip on Termi's) without the $1300.00 price tag. After all the two cans shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars, I smell price gouging by Termi because they are temporarily the only game in town.

·
Registered
31 Posts
termi isn't being mean.....

wa6usa said:
I see that the welds will be a headache. It seems like the diameter of the pipe is the only major consideration for replacing the two black cans. Isn't there a standard size pipe that allows us to exchange the cans, (like the slip on Termi's) without the $1300.00 price tag. After all the two cans shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars, I smell price gouging by Termi because they are temporarily the only game in town.
well, it's not so much the price of the two cans.
and most cans are more than a couple hundred dollars.
the expensive part from termi/ducati performance is the ecu. which helps the bike run that much better with the new exhaust.
plus, then it gets the two-year ducati performance warranty (if it's installed by a dealer).
i have the full termi system with ecu on my bike. and it ROCKS.

kat

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm with the lady on this one, hey Kat ;-)

Have the 2X2 termi and love them, I do feel the flat black works well with keeping the historic look and lets face it most these very simple systems are to damn much $$$$$$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i may try and talk with someone next week to design a 2 into 1 junction that will mount a reproduction conti muffler on original headers. if anyone is interested in the resulting part.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kel said:
i may try and talk with someone next week to design a 2 into 1 junction that will mount a reproduction conti muffler on original headers. if anyone is interested in the resulting part.
Kel, That sounds good to me!
As for the recent quote from kat about the super quality of Termi's, I'm sure at 1300 for slip ons and 1800 for the full system they will rock. I put magnaflows on my car for a few hundred dollars. My car rocks! with 400 HP plus. What's the difference here? Is the ECU a whole new computer that needs to be changed every time you do a modification? Can't the stock ECU handle minor backpreasure changes in the exhaust? What happens when the bike gets old and the baffles wear out, time to buy a new ECU? No, I don't believe that the Termi is priced right at all, I think they have a back door deal as the sole supplier for now, with the blessing of Ducati. Regarding the warranty, I think an underemployed lawyer would love to take a crack at a warranty claim that was turned down due to cans being changed. My opinion of Termi's is that they are a good looking exhaust, and tomorrow I'll hear one for the first time, however just because I bought an expensive bike doesn't mean I'm going to throw major money at it getting the lion to roar, I believe it can be done much less expensively with a supplier that is willing to put the effort into this. I realize there are very few bikes on the road at this point, and they supply/demand equation is very bad now, but that will change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wa6usa said:
Regarding the warranty, I think an underemployed lawyer would love to take a crack at a warranty claim that was turned down due to cans being changed.
i didn't mean that the bike warranty would change!
it's the exhaust and ECU that carry the warranty, independent of the bike...
that's all i was saying about that...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I asked today at the dealer, and the ECU is a ROM, can't do anything to it. I'm going to work on this one, I've never seen a computer that can't be adjusted.
By the way, I heard the slip on Termi's that were on a totaled Sport. What a shame that was, no licence plate yet, and the bike was trashed, a total loss.
If they would have pulled those Termi's off the wreck and put them on my PS1000, I would have gone for it at the right price, but the dealer hemmed, and hawed about the slip ons being the only salvageable part left and they weren't for sale. Blah, blah... Oh well saved myself some bad Karma.
So I'm still looking for the right sound at less than the cost of a weekend in Rio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Termis

I really wanted to wait to see the Zards, Staintunes etc but after hearing the slip on Termignonis I had to get a set for my PS. They should be here next week and I can't wait :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oops

Looks like we are stuck with the brand names. Found this:

The two manifolds, which are joined by a compensation tube on which the lambda probe is mounted, are connected to the stacked twin silencers, which are fixed to the frame by means of a trellis support in chromed steel.
These two motorcycles are the first Ducati models to comply with EURO 3 anti-pollution standards: the lambda probe inside the compensation tube of the two exhaust manifolds combines with two trivalent catalysers housed in the two silencers. The function of the lambda probe is to measure the oxygen in the exhaust gases and then, via the engine control unit, calibrate the mixture ratio during specific engine operating conditions. The two trivalent catalysers oxidise the unburnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, and reduce the nitrogen oxide.

OOPS

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wonder what would happen if i soldered a resistor on the lead for that o2 sensor?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts