Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a lot of new owners, one of the first mods to consider is the addtion of an aftermarket exhaust. It might be helpful to have a discussion of the available options and the relative pros/cons in one place to help make the decision a little easier.

If you have experience with a particular option or a strong preference about why it's a good or bad choice, by all means share your thoughts. As more options become available, please take the time to add links, videos, and other relevant information to the thread. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions so everyone can get the answers.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
There's a youtube video of an Arrow system mounted on a SFv4.... crazy loud with the baffles out but sounded good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The system from Akrapovic is an option many people will be familiar with as it's been featured in a number of videos and was the system used on the prototype bike. I believe it's the same system from the Panigale V4, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I've heard the full version on the Panigale and it definitely sounded nice. Very aggressive and louder than I was expecting.

I believe it comes in two options: full version and slip-on. Not sure how much difference there is between the two in overall sound or performance. Perhaps someone can jump in with those answers.

A major drawback of this system is the expense. It's not yet listed on the Akrapovic website, but the Ducati website lists it as $5,406.00 (US) for the full titanium system and $4,182.00 (US) for racing silencers. Not sure how systems from competing brands are going to stack up on price, as it's apparently a pretty complicated affair to add a full system to this bike.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
A major drawback of this system is the expense. It's not yet listed on the Akrapovic website, but the Ducati website lists it as $5,406.00 (US) for the full titanium system and $4,182.00 (US) for racing silencers.
Perfectly reasonably since it's made with rainbows and unicorn horns.
If you're saying it's made of metal, there is an obscene profit in there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a video of the Arrow, which sounds great. But there are some things you should know about this video.

First, this is a slip-on not a full system. Second, as of this writing you won't find this system listed for the Streetfighter on the Arrow site. That's because the system in the video was actually made for a 2019 Panigale.

Are there any downsides to installing this on a Streetfighter? Is a fuel map necessary or available? Please share if you have the answers.

Not sure if this is the same system from the video, but if it is the cost is listed as $1,950.30 (US).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Austin Racing has multiple systems available: GP3, GP3 full system, RS22-V full titanium system.

Cost is on par with the Akrapovic system, so it isn't cheap. On the plus side you get to choose the finish and emblem options, which is nice. There's no word on the site about whether a fuel map is required/available.

As for sound, I've only seen one video so far.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Most of them seem to be "race only" and not street legal.
Not that it stops anyone.
I can't recall ever hearing that someone got a fix it ticket, to get rid of the aftermarket can, and go back to stock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Dr. I was doing this very research myself .

Unfortunately there isn’t much out there exhaust wise for the SF except the Ducati/Akropovic extremely costly options. The good news is that it looks like (so far on the Arrow slip-on system) that the Panigale 18’/19’ Arrow Version 2 slip-on system fits and works well on the 2020 SF... If that is the case theoretically the other Panigale slip-on systems should fit as well. Not sure about the other full systems available. Other slip-on systems are made by Austin Racing, Termignoni, SC Project,

Arrow version 2 below. $1699... not a bad price

This version 2 is Not too bad in price when comparing to the Akropovic systems and other options in the market.
there was a version 1 apparently where both cans were in the same place on either side of the bike for the Panigale but most places have it sold out. Not sure if it is still available are it has been superseded by Version 2.
this site also offers an Upmap with the exhaust but not sure how well it will work with the SF. This will probably be the system I get once there is some specific SF tuning available. probably doesn’t matter but i am just going to err on the side of caution with the tuning...

I find some of the other systems better looking BUT they are so much more in cost. I have Other things I want to spend my money on so a decent quality slip-on system that is cost effective (relatively speaking) is high on the list for me...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Austin Racing under-seat option looks the best to me, but man that is a lot of money. I would also be a bit concerned about the volume as AR has a well deserved reputation for being a hooligan's hooligan when it comes to loudness. On the plus side, I've seen the RS22 for the KTM in person and it is very well made.

The arrow is probably a lot more practical option compared to the Austin Racing or Akrapovic offerings. Of course, that's assuming it fits with no problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agreed, the Austin Racing under seat is a beauty... I don’t think my ears could handle it though.. my hearing is already pretty poor... I think that is another thing that appeals to me about the Arrow system is it has db-killers that actually are effective gauging from the few videos I have found on the internet.

I suspect after awhile if I am going on a long ride, I probably would pop them back in to make the ride a bit less taxing... for short blasts and track fun I enjoy a nice fruity exhaust as much as the next guy. But I am finding in my older age I still like a louder exhaust but within reason or in moderation... hell, even when riding my 701 SM sometimes I pop in my dB-killer on my Akropovic pipe if I know I will be on a long ride...

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Most of them seem to be "race only" and not street legal.
Not that it stops anyone.
I can't recall ever hearing that someone got a fix it ticket, to get rid of the aftermarket can, and go back to stock.
I'm trying to do that with my MTS1200. The only thing that will calm the 1198 down noise wise is the OEM set up. It won't make any performance difference on the street, but will tone down the extraneous sound a lot. At this point I'm ready to swap anyone a full OEM set up for 2015 DVT in exchange for the Arrow 3/4 system currently installed. My attempt to purchase a cat/muffler from a member here went sideways. Full repack with silent sport 1K miles ago only quieted the idle sound. Baffle in, it's still too loud.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can relate to that. I had the Termi system on my Xdiavel and had trouble getting it just the way I wanted. With baffle in, it sounded too tame and lost a lot of its character. Really nice tone with baffle out, but it was also angled downward, causing the sound to bounce off the pavement and be reflected right up toward the rider. Even with earplugs I couldn’t hear for two hours after a ride. Not good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I talked to the guys at Austin Racing and they said the R22 full system for the V4 Streetfighter does NOT require a remap.

One of the things which drove me away from KTM the last time around was issues with exhausts. KTM is getting really weird about making it so you can't use aftermarket exhausts and/or the dealerships won't install them. Yes, there is a full system available from Akrapovich, just as there is for the Ducati Streetfighter. However, the fuel remap, which is a part of the install, also disables the lights. Obviously, it seems the intent here is to make it so exhausts can only be installed on track bikes. Yeah, sorry, that's a no-go from me, because I'm not riding a super naked if it has to sound like a sewing machine.

I just don't understand why the Akra full system requires a remap on the SD but not on the SF. This nanny state crap is really starting to get on my nerves...

On a semi-related note, I found out that Austin Racing is going to start producing its own bike reviews, which will be on YouTube. The first one, covering the new 2020 SuperDuke, is already posted. Since AR is a high performance workshop with tons of experience working on, modifying, and creating aftermarket parts for performance bikes, that could make for some interesting reviews. I was also told they've been extensively testing the V4 SF and will have a review of it posted soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sweet news about AR’s own reviews. I assume they will be exhaust or their own product centric.

Same as you, that frustrates me about the “tuning needed/ not needed“ claims from manufacturers.
I assume the R22 system has an exhaust valve in there as well, otherwise it would need some sort of tuning to get rid of the missing exhaust valve error...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that's correct. The guy from Austin Racing told me they are working on doing their own custom fuel map for the Super Duke, which is not something they've done before. My guess is that they've basically been forced to do it because the Akra map is designed to disable the lights, essentially limiting the bike to track use only. That sounds pretty weird, but that's what I was told.

For those considering the new Super Duke, that's a pretty frustrating situation if one is at all interested in an exhaust. The Akra apparently has a built-in limitation. Unfortunately, the full system from AR isn't an option right now either, because while you can order the system itself, it will be an additional 3-4 months before the fuel map is ready. So as it stands right now, there are no viable exhaust options for the SuperDuke. Slip-ons only.

Things are better on the Ducati front. To be sure, they're very expensive options. But at least there are options.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone heard anything about the Ucite Termignoni system being made available for the V4 Streetfighter? The local dealership told me it was going to happen as it just needed a few modifications in order to work. That may be true, but I haven't seen anything about it anywhere.

I know some people weren't crazy about the way it looked on the Panigale. However, it might compliment the look of the SF a little better.

Reactions: showerfan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The following info is regarding the KTM SuperDuke issue referenced above. But this really isn't about KTM, it's about the draconian Euro 5 regulations and the future of sport motorcycling.

It's confirmed. Akrapovic has now made it so that full systems can only be installed for race use. The way they've implemented this is through restrictions hardcoded into the required fuel remap. In the case of the 2020 SuperDuke, once the exhaust is installed all four turn signals and the lights must be physically disconnected or the bike will not start. Meaning installing an aftermarket exhaust turns your bike into a track-only race bike.

Get the **** out of here with this Euro 5 crap! Sniveling bureaucrats won't be satisfied until we're all riding bicycles and self-driving cars.

It can't be long until they start forcing this stuff on Ducati as well. Frankly, I'm surprised Akrapovic didn't do this on the V4SF as well. But I suppose they could still implement it in a future map update, so it's something to be aware of if you have your bike worked on at a dealership. It would suck to drop the cash for the new Akra system only to have them gimp the whole system a year from now with a new update.

Wonderful. Your $30k sport bike is going to sound like a sewing machine...

Reactions: Magsz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Now that is a load of crap... your turn signals and lights need to be disconnected are else it won’t run..

no thanks .....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah agreed Ricko, but as you said it is kinda ugly and HEAVY....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts