Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I caught wind of a thread on here that has to do with DIY baffles for the 848 exhaust. I have an extra set of slip ons for the bike and would love to try my hand at the project. Can anyone point me in the direction of this forum? the search function on the forum seems to be on the fritz. Any input is also welcome!
thanks,
Garrett

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure where the thread is, but here is gross simplification of the step of doing that operation.

It's pretty simple really,
Drill out the rivets.
Remove the caps.
Saw out the cats (wear a mask and gloves)
Remove the baffles. They slide right out.
Install new perforated pipe wrapped loosely with new exhaust fiberglass.
Reinstall the caps with new rivets.
Reinstall on the bike.
Ride bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you can buy the perforated pipes/fiberglass kits off of EBay (A&R Motorsports? I think so..) but I believe this thread was dedicated to showing you how to make the perforated pipe, which is more what I'm going for here. Also I'm sure you need to know specifics, such as:

how big is the pipe? Diameter?

Is there a specific gauge of steel to use?

How do you "install" the new pipes into the slip ons? (Mine by the way are already completely gutted. Someone expected to run the bike on these empty tin cans. They are SO loud, and very tinny.) They can just be held up in there magically. Is there some sort of bracket?

...Or maybe it is magic!:abduct:

·
Registered
249 Posts
The pref pipe is 2.5 inches in diameter. This size will fit directly in to the slot left from the cats that were cut out. This is where the pref pipe should be welded to end cap. You can use JB Weld.. The pipes should be a tad over 17 inches long (I believe). The pref pipe would then be loosely wrapped with the fiber glass. That assembly would then be slid into the outer casing. Then the end cap goes back on and the rivets go back in.

I'm not sure if there is different gauge pipe for the pref pipe. I bought it from Area P (www.areapnolimits.com). There were great to deal with. And I got the fiber glass from the local bike place for $9.

Don't run the bike with the cans empty. They will get very very hot and it will sound stupid. The bracket? If you mean the bracket to hold the cans up to the bike. Just use the original ones.

Oh, here is a pic of the pipe I ordered: http://www.flickr.com/photos/enzochi/3474477670/

In all I think I spent maybe $50 on this project and it turned out pretty good, I think.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, this is all great info-minus the fact that I gotta do some welding (don't own a welder) do you know any good ways around that?

Also-once the pipes are more opened up, do you have to do anything with the airbox and or air filter? I'm obviously unable to tweak the ECU. I'm also too cheap to buy a Power Commander. Waddya think?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patience, grasshopper.

So I should have taken the two seconds it takes to look up JB weld online. So it's a compound? That sounds easy!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone chime in about the airbox and filter and/or ECU? I'm assuming that with the opened up pipes I will need to tweak something, somehow.

also, I can't find any single 2.5 inch diameter pipe on this company's website. Only full systems. Am I not looking hard enough or do you have to walk into one of their stores and order it in person?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can anyone chime in about the airbox and filter and/or ECU? I'm assuming that with the opened up pipes I will need to tweak something, somehow.
a new ECU is not necessary, but motowheels has a kit to reflash the stock ECU with a map that would better fit the slip on.

also, I can't find any single 2.5 inch diameter pipe on this company's website. Only full systems. Am I not looking hard enough or do you have to walk into one of their stores and order it in person?
Just send them an email. They will take an order for it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more help!

I'm well on my way to getting this project started! I've got the 2.5 inch perf. pipe on its way from the west coast, and it's going to take about a week to get from the west coast all the way to maine. So I've got plenty of time to think about it! how "loosely" should I wrap the perf pipe? I'd like a nice, deep and significatly louder tone than the stock pipes which allow a lot of the engine chirping to come though. Is just just a little bit of fiberglass on each pipe? I have no idea how do to gauge it because I've never done anything like it before. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts