Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, excuse the intrusion.......

I removed the exhaust headers from my SS1000DS to clean some rust spots that started to show up and maybe apply a coat of high temperature paint on them.
I found out there is no seal between the headers and the cylinder heads, had a look in the WorkShop Manual (pic) and the seals are there, BUT, my exhaust headers (OEM) are somehow different in design (double flange?) at the point that enters the exhaust port (pic) than these in the WorkShop Manual sketch, any idea?

Attachments

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
your header / head connection is the very same as pictured in the Ducati sketch,
I bet you will find the seal rings within your cylinder heads if you take a second
look at them.

they use to stick in there, they will not fall out by taking the headers off,
take a skrewdriver to get them out for closer inspection if you want to.

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
your header / head connection is the very same as pictured in the Ducati sketch,
I bet you will find the seal rings within your cylinder heads if you take a second
look at them.

they use to stick in there, they will not fall out by taking the headers off,
take a skrewdriver to get them out for closer inspection if you want to.

:)
No, there not, there are the same as in the picture and not as in the sketch, I had a good look inside the ports, no seals in there.
I'm trying to figure out if that "double flange" header design doesn't need a seal or "someone" forgot to put one in there. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
No, there not, there are the same as in the picture and not as in the sketch, I had a good look inside the ports, no seals in there.
I'm trying to figure out if that "double flange" header design doesn't need a seal or "someone" forgot to put one in there. :confused:
Probably forgot. They're supposed to be there on all DS1000/1100 motors. They pretty cheap at the dealer.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably forgot. They're supposed to be there on all DS1000/1100 motors.
I'm not sure, although common sense calls for a seal, upon re-installing they seem to fit pretty snugly without a seal, unless the seals for the "double flange" headers design are pretty thin.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'm not sure, although common sense calls for a seal, upon re-installing they seem to fit pretty snugly without a seal, unless the seals for the "double flange" headers design are pretty thin.
The double flange design is also present on the SportClassic headers. It only allows for a firm take up by the collar. It doesn't ensure both the header mounting surface and the exhaust outlet mounting surface are square and sealing properly. That is where the gasket comes in:)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
When I got my (used) bike I found those missing as well. Quick trip to the dealer, $10 and a short time later I had that rectified.

·
Premium Member
12,414 Posts
They may be hard to find in the cylinder and carboned up in there . Won't be terrible if there is 2 in there , look Very closely:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
They can be very hard to spot as goofy as that sounds.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I got my (used) bike I found those missing as well. Quick trip to the dealer, $10 and a short time later I had that rectified.
They may be hard to find in the cylinder and carboned up in there . Won't be terrible if there is 2 in there , look Very closely:)
They can be very hard to spot as goofy as that sounds.
Definitely there are no seals, just the bare head metal, the bike has approximately 8000 miles, low enough for the seals to "carbonized/fused" in there.

I'll visit the dealer tomorrow to get a pair of seals, I guess that I can get them to fit, I'll report back for future reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts