Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2009 S1K Biposto. It stays outside most of the year, but under cover (Although now it is parked for the winter in a garage), so it does see the elements. As a result, I am in a battle with corrosion. Frankly I am a bit dissapointed in how easily stuff is forming rust and corrosion on a brand new bike. I had a 2003 Buell XB9S that had less corrosion going on..

Anyways to the point, the nuts on the exhaust header bolts are rusting. (Among other things) Does anyone know what size they are? What they are torqued to? And also can they be replaced with titanium nuts at such a hot spot?

FYI other things rusting. Some random small 90 degree tube that comes out the front of the motor down near the oil filter, the inside of the hollow axles, the spring for the rear brake lever, a tiny spring clamp holding the ugly recycler can tube on the right side. Maybe some other stuff, I forget. All small details but annoying. I have a plan for each. I want this bike to be turned into a rust resistant machine of doom!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Are you positive about that? Mixing dissimilar metals at those temperatures is something I'd want to KNOW would work. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking if you're certain.

Obviously sticking with a well tested exhaust nut choice, like bronze, would be safe.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I agree with you about the poor corrosion resistance; I guess Ducati tried to keep the profit margins up by using junk components. Does anyone know why they used chrome spokes instead of stainless steel and how much they saved by doing so? Anyhow, I believe that the exhaust pipe flange nuts are made of copper, or at least copper plated, maybe to prevent them rusting to the studs in such a hot environment?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts