Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ciao a tutti -

one of my electrical engineering type geek friends just picked up the exhaust flapper valve assembly from my hypertard ... he is designing a dongle type plug-in for the 6 wire connector that hooks the flapper valve assembly to the wiring harness and ecu.

he believes he can build this dongle so that when you remove the flapper valve assembly (either disconnect it from the wiring harness, or remove the riser pipe with the assembly on it, and replace with a straight riser pipe) and plug in this dongle, the dash will not display any error codes due to the flapper valve not being there.

more on this project as it progresses.

ciao,
johnc

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
yeah. let us know how it goes. It's surprising the amount that some dealers just don't know about the bike they "service".

"turn off the check flapper valve with the DDS? Sure, we c'n do it." - Not!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great idea! I think it would be popular among the guys without DP ECU's.
I'm also in the electronics industry and had done some designs on a napkin
with the guys at work, and never got around to building anything.

It appears the flapper servo is relatively simple...IIRC it has a signal for rotate
CW and another for rotate CCW, together with a position sensor that feeds
back a DC voltage dependent on the position of the rotary servo. You can
even monitor the position voltage on the Hyper dash while in service mode.
So, we thought that all it would take is a basic integrator circuit that ramps
voltage to some limit in one direction for the CW rotation and another for
the CCW direction. The limits could be taken from watching the Hyper
exercise its flapper valve in a working setup and checking where the feedback
voltage endpoints are on the service menu display. Hopefully, one voltage
range is good enough to work for all the Hypers out there, or you'd have
to add some kind of trimmer.

I'd be interested in hearing if he has success with an emulator. I know they
sell one for Buells, but not for Ducatis. Sometimes the hard part is finding a
source for the correct electrical connector part that is used on the bike!

·
Registered
368 Posts
For me, the most simple solution was to remove everything except the servo motor and install a limiter
to fake it into thinking it was still connected to the flapper and cables.

More here.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I was hoping for this kind of tech workaround, I need one too, & compliment the O2 manlip.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did the same thing but it would be nice to be able to remove the servo motor all together.
I'm Hip, thats what I wound up doing....when I bought a slip on ECU.

It's is cheap and effective. When all the cables are removed, the valve in the exhaust will stay open due to the spring preload.

I had the dongle on my Buell before I began writing my own eeproms. They do work, just weren't available when I started on the hyper.

Good luck to the OP with the dongle as if it is coupled with the fatduc it could be a new cost effective starting point for new modders.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have the slip-on ecu (racing) but the dealer service manager said I'd still get the light and ecu can't be reset to eliminate the error light. Does anyone know the definitive answer to whether or not I will get a light and if I do can the light be cleared by the dealer? Tom

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have the slip-on ecu (racing) but the dealer service manager said I'd still get the light and ecu can't be reset to eliminate the error light. Does anyone know the definitive answer to whether or not I will get a light and if I do can the light be cleared by the dealer? Tom
Heya Tom, yes it can, ANY of the DP ECU's can disable the servo, the only issue that seems to arise time and again is the stupid fucking disabled stealerships who would not know shit from clay if they tasted it.

This is a another classic example of Ducatis inadequacies making people do a lot more than they need too, full cred to johns mate for sure but fuck me why can't the stealerships simply learn to do their job properly which YOU pay big money for.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
full cred to johns mate for sure but fuck me why can't the stealerships simply learn to do their job properly which YOU pay big money for.
update ...

got my dick slapped by my ee/geek friend ... seems i should not have mentioned this to anyone yet ... so this is just between "us" ... ok? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Heya Tom, yes it can, ANY of the DP ECU's can disable the servo, the only issue that seems to arise time and again is the stupid fucking disabled stealerships who would not know shit from clay if they tasted it.

This is a another classic example of Ducatis inadequacies making people do a lot more than they need too, full cred to johns mate for sure but fuck me why can't the stealerships simply learn to do their job properly which YOU pay big money for.
ANY of the ECUs can disable the servo? My dealer knew nothing about that last year when I had my ECU installed, and they know their shit there. I'll have to try again.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
ANY of the ECUs can disable the servo? .
Any DP ECU, NOT the std one, yes fact, I have the slipons ECU and the tech disabled the o2 sensor and flapper valve in as much time as I have taken to write this.

Many others have the same, some come from homigroni set up and others don't mine was not set up but two minutes on the Ducati diagnostics and it was disabled.

The full racing and cams come preset according to my sources as they eliminate the flapper automatically.

If they say they can't then don't pay them for pissing around and go elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts