Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my LV slip on installed and took the baffles out. It sounds incredible but the drone is much worse than expected. Anything i can do for this besides put the baffles back in or ear plugs? Could my less than stellar HJC helmet be making the echoe worse?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the check engine light has come on for a bit and then went off. Any thoughtS?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've heard this complaint more than once. I have the Termi 2into1 with no db killer and I can't notice a huge difference. I mean it's a little louder but I've heard the same complaints about my exhaust set up and I just dont hear a big change. It sounds better but not droning or too loud. Maybe it's because I'm in construction and I'm developing hearing loss. I wear an AGV stealth helmet by the way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
After the pipes develop some carbon buildup inside they'll quiet up a bit.

I have the Leo Vince pipes, and my bike's sound was sharp and barky, but after a couple thousand miles it's got a smoother sound. I Love it!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love the sound of my LV's too ,but it is loud .I also suffer hearing loss from being a heavy equipment operator for 24 years . You could try putting the washers in with all of the holes in them ,they go in the front of the cans ,I also cut (a lot) off of my DB killers in case I have to ride with other (non hooligan) people . With them in the stacks are still louder than the exhaust :D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You could try putting the washers in with all of the holes in them ,they go in the front of the cans
Have you used them? How much difference does that make?

I'm running with the dB Killers on my LV slipon/cat eliminator combo. With the db killers out, it was just too loud and the outlets also looked crude and unfinished. I also like the sound tone better with the dB Killers in, just wish it was a tad louder.

·
Registered
237 Posts

earplugs
Wha?
earplugs
Wha?
EARPLUGS!
oh right, never wear 'em mate.
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you used them? How much difference does that make?

I'm running with the dB Killers on my LV slipon/cat eliminator combo. With the db killers out, it was just too loud and the outlets also looked crude and unfinished. I also like the sound tone better with the dB Killers in, just wish it was a tad louder.
No I put them in the ever growing spare parts box , but I'm sure they would make a difference in sound and performance. Less of each.
Here is a photo of my first cut on the killers

after that I cut off another inch and a half :D and it's still too quite.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solution: noise canceling headphones playing your favorite jam. If you get a clip to put the microphone in the headphone wire inside your helmet you can even talk on the phone ha!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wear earplugs. I do. It's not really for the exhaust noise( which is really loud without plugs at city cruising speeds), but for the wind noise. A few minutes at 60mph is already enough to damage your hearing.

I wear plugs with filters, so they filter out the wind noise and excess exhaust noise. Sounds just about perfect with plugs in :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wear earplugs too. Now.
For nearly 10 years I've had tinnitus - whistling, ringing or buzzing in ears All The #%X*:mad:#% Time :( No cure so you do not want to get it! That's from years of construction trade, loud clubs & bands & last but not least, riding & racing loud bikes... My mate went permanently deaf in one ear a while back - loud bands, clubs & recording studios in his case. Now he wears earplugs to play the drums
All the top racing guys wear them.
I read that helmet wind noise - particularly low frequency - contributes to hearing trouble also - on top of your loud pipes. I didn't think my very old Shoei was too bad until I got a new HTC recently. Like chalk & cheese.

Wear plugs or have quieter exhaust! It amounts to the same thing except your neighbours might like you more in the second case!:)

Trying to keep whats left of my hearing I got some expensive custom plugs but then lost 'em.:( Tried a few types of foam ones, now I buy big sacks of Earsoft FX (good specs) that fit me nicely. Swear by 'em. :)
Hear... Endeth the Lesson

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wear earplugs too. Now.
For nearly 10 years I've had tinnitus - whistling, ringing or buzzing in ears All The #%X*:mad:#% Time :( No cure so you do not want to get it! That's from years of construction trade, loud clubs & bands & last but not least, riding & racing loud bikes... My mate went permanently deaf in one ear a while back - loud bands, clubs & recording studios in his case. Now he wears earplugs to play the drums
All the top racing guys wear them.
I read that helmet wind noise - particularly low frequency - contributes to hearing trouble also - on top of your loud pipes. I didn't think my very old Shoei was too bad until I got a new HTC recently. Like chalk & cheese.

Wear plugs or have quieter exhaust! It amounts to the same thing except your neighbours might like you more in the second case!:)

Trying to keep whats left of my hearing I got some expensive custom plugs but then lost 'em.:( Tried a few types of foam ones, now I buy big sacks of Earsoft FX (good specs) that fit me nicely. Swear by 'em. :)
Hear... Endeth the Lesson
Hear hear. I pretty much take my plugs everywhere. Concerts, pubs, construction sites. Have a slight tinnitus in my right ear ( although the doctor says it's because I have sensitive hearing), you don't want to have it.

/mom mode.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Even with the earplugs, without the dB killer, it is too loud for me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've had tinnitus for many years now. It totally sucks.

I have a fan next to my head for noise, and one of those white noise machines that play birds and wave sounds just so I can get to sleep. I also take benedryl (antihistamine) to zonk me out quicker, otherwise, even with the fan and noise machine all I can hear is the high frequency whine in my ears.

The buffeting noise from the wind from riding my Hyper sets the tinnitus off probably worse than anything else. It's low frequencies that make it bad. My old Saturn had bad road noise and my ears were always ringing after driving it. I'm SOOO much happier since I got my new car, it's very quiet.

My Hyper makes more noise from the air box than the exhaust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My Hyper is Way quieter than any other bike I've owned so I only wear the plugs for wind noise - gets quite strong over 50mph. In fact it's so quiet I'm about to modify a set of std silencers to get a bit more of that Duc character.

Worst thing now is ending up in a bar or somewhere with loud noise without my plugs. Either that or one pops out when I'm racing. That sucks, knowing the noise will only stop in 6 laps time:( (that really wrecks my ears for the next week) I do love to race though:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts