Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first morning since spring where it was cool enough to see my exhaust at startup. I noticed that it was pretty noticeable on the left side, while barely perceptible on the right. The pressure seemed equal on both sides, and after I got to work I checked it with the bike warm and couldn't see exhaust from either side.

I've got about 6800 miles on it, so I'm not too far from my 7500 mile service. I imagine what I noticed when the bike was cold could be due to a number of things, but was curious what you guys thought might be the most likely causes, and whether it's something to be concerned about, or just wait and mention to the dealer when I bring the bike in for the 7500 mile service.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
the left one probably didn't feel much for a cold morning start and tried to smoke your ass;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What you saw probably was a result of the starting cycle. One cylinder was a bit richer than the other for a nanosecond...Gotta' love those computers. Nothing to fret over.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YMRacing - it wasn't just right at startup, but for the minute or two I was letting it warm up prior to heading out. So maybe that left cylinder is running richer in general? I do remember when I pulled the plugs to check them a few weeks back one of the front cylinder ones was mostly golden brown while the other three were off-white.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My bike was the same much more exhaust from one cylinder than the other. You need to check the throttle balance between cylinders. There are several threads on the correct way to do this but the basic thing is, turn the air bleeds all the way in, set the balance with the adjustment screw behind the oil cooler on the throttle body shaft, then use the air bleed screws to set the correct CO% level.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks OkieDave. I had a feeling it might be a throttle balance thing. I'll look into it and if it's something I'm comfortable doing myself I'll try it. Otherwise, I'll just wait and have the shop do it when I get the 7500 mile service done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts