Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, my front rotors rattle in their carriers. And the movement is radial, as well as side to side. My rortors look fine. Can I just replace the carriers? Or is it an all or nothing deal, in that rotors and carriers are sold as a unit?

Am I looking at a six hundred dollar parts bill??!!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You can replace parts on rotors...can you post a pic of your set up? are they stock? A little more info about the bike would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I thought SPs had full floating rotors and were supposed to rattle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They float, but not like this. Take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way I can replace the "rivets" with a Nut/Bolt assembly in order to tighten things up?

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
You can get new buttons but you would not want to lose the advantage s floating rotors afford you by bolting them

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
356 Posts
CCM900 I'm glad you posted this thread. I currently have the same problem with the discs on my 1098s. The amount of radial play is not an immediate don't ride situation but certainly needs addressing pretty soon.

My mechanic didn't mention you could replace the buttons or whatever they are I'd need to replace the discs.

I'll be curious to see if anyone posts further advice onthis issue. Bike has only done 20k so it's a bit of a concern that there's so much wear already. Actually this was only noticed because I had a blown fork seal. Had those repalce with non OEM parts, apparently they are not the best either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Droplock - looks ike there is not a lot of interest on this board due to the age of our bikes. To answer our question, I did a little research. I called Ferracci, and was told that the rotor buttons were not sold as a spare part. The guy I spoke to was kinda abrubt, so I just let it go.

But while searching on this site: https://tpoparts.com I found the buttons available for sale. So I will either try those, or see if I can source a set of used front rotors.

Sorry I don't know more, but I am pretty new to the Ducati scene. And to be honest, this is not at all like the Porsche 911 scene, where there is so much more user support from the driving community. But I am sure it is due to the smaller number of our bikes, as opposed to 30 years of 911 production.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
just a warning- I think you will find that the alloy carriers are worn - hole elongated rather than the buttons.

replacing the buttons might not fix the problem.

I posted a thread about this in 2007

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/28601-full-floating-brakes-how-much-too-much.html

I never changed anything- but the superlight is not my daily either.

gone through my records could not find anything re the Melbourne resizing the hole and larger bobins- I think the info came from Ducatisti forum and that info has been lost:confused:

I had decided on getting aftermarket rotors but don't use the bike enough to justify the expense- the gernuine ducati ones are available but really expensive, depends whether factory look or performance is your driver.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Replacing the buttons will do nothing except lighten your pocket. The alloy carrier is soft, and wears, the buttons are hard, and don't wear.

This guy here Ducati Brembo replica full floating cast iron discs [Rep-Brembo-49240081A] - NZ $599.00 : Fast Bike Gear can get new complete disc / carriers, but needs about 10 orders because the joint in Italy makes them to order. They are made by an ex Brembo employee, and are exactly as original. I want to order at least 1 pair, maybe 2 pairs.

Send a PM to this guy http://www.ducati.ms/forums/33012-wobblyas.html he works there or something.

Hopefully enough people wan them and we can get something happening. I need them for my 851 SP3 rebuild.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that runs a automotive race/restoration shop, and received some promising news. He is convinced that his machine shop should be able to square me away for around $200.

But as usual, I will believe it when I see it.

I'll report back when they are done. I hate to sound cheap, but the thought of paying $660.00 for a new set of rotors is just really pricey. Especially when it is only the carriers that need attention.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
752 Posts
rotor movement . . .

Similar problem with my carriers wearing off the anodizing on my '96 SS/SP. Bought a pair of rotors from a 748 for cheap, same offset, same hole pattern. 4mm thick instead of 5mm, 3 lbs. lighter than cast iron full floaters. I'm not racing, stainless rotors work fine with the same pads (resurfaced). Much less weight.

Fred H.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi all,

Just been sent a pair of SL floating iron discs for my inspection/autopsy/possible fitment to my carby?

Rotors themselves are good, there is slight radial movement (Approx 1-1.5mm?), side-to-side quite a bit too? Could be cured by adding another shim/washer underneath? (M14 x 0.5mm?)

Have found these:

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.p...uct&keyword=shim&category_id=1&product_id=171

But are in the States, anybody point out where I may get some in the UK please? :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
P.s. How much movement is "Excessive"? I understand they have to be free to move to work properly, im thinking side-to-side is good, rotational movement bad?

Does anyone have a new disc they could measure the "float" on for me please? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not convinced that the TPO Buttons will do the trick. Mine are at the machine shop right now, but the problem we are encountering is the hardness of the rotor. We were going to go with an oversized button, but the machinist is saying that his machine will not be able to cut into my rotor.

Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Hi all,

Just been sent a pair of SL floating iron discs for my inspection/autopsy/possible fitment to my carby?

Rotors themselves are good, there is slight radial movement (Approx 1-1.5mm?), side-to-side quite a bit too? Could be cured by adding another shim/washer underneath? (M14 x 0.5mm?)

Have found these:

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.p...uct&keyword=shim&category_id=1&product_id=171

But are in the States, anybody point out where I may get some in the UK please? :)
That's less movement than I get from mine. Mind you - mine have >50,000 kms on them! Not worrying me yet. They still work/stop fine! I'd use them. Just make sure you use NON-metallic pads. Sintered metal ones will wear the cast iron.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mate those carriers are f*#ked!!! Mine are not quite that bad, but not far off. Replacing the buttons will do nothing except lighten your wallet. The carriers themselves are worn - the holes in the carriers flog out because the carriers is made from quite soft aluminium.

Here's what mine look like pulled apart:

Your's will look the same or worse. My buttons are as fresh as the day they left the factory. The buttons are hard, the carriers are soft - they should have been made the other way around.

You can put on new stainless disks and the appropriate pads for a lot less cost than buying another set of floaters. You cannot buy new floaters anymore, so any floaters you do see will be second hand, and probably half way worn out too.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Mate those carriers are f*#ked!!! Mine are not quite that bad, but not far off. Replacing the buttons will do nothing except lighten your wallet. The carriers themselves are worn - the holes in the carriers flog out because the carriers is made from quite soft aluminium.

Here's what mine look like pulled apart:

Your's will look the same or worse. My buttons are as fresh as the day they left the factory. The buttons are hard, the carriers are soft - they should have been made the other way around.

You can put on new stainless disks and the appropriate pads for a lot less cost than buying another set of floaters. You cannot buy new floaters anymore, so any floaters you do see will be second hand, and probably half way worn out too.
I still can't see what the problem is. Mine have ALWAYS had a good mm or so of rotational play. Just went and checked (after your post) - still do. About 1-2mm. Maybe slightly more than new, but not much. They can't fall off. They still work well enough to lift the back off the ground at speed. Sure they rattle - but again - they always have.
Plenty of meat on the carrier - sure, there's some wear, that's to be expected, but how much is too much? The disc is well within it's wear limits. They still align with the calipers and pads fine. I'm unable to find ANY specification on rotational wear limits for them, just disc thickness.

So why the fuss? It's not like they're worn to the point where the disc can 'jump' out of the carrier holes like a chain on a worn sprocket...

Give me some technical justification please! :confused: NOT "OH - they've got some wear - you MUST replace them!" Some data from Brembo would be nice - if there IS any.

I'm open to advice - but I want something to justify it! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts