Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of fuel consumption are 848 owners seeing?

I bought an 848 two weeks ago and I've bought fuel three times and each time the reserve light has come on between 60 and 65 miles into the tank. Is that normal? I admit I've been riding somewhat aggressively, about 40-50% highway, but no more so than I do my Sport Classic, which usually goes to at least 75 or 80 miles on the same amount of fuel (2.0-2.1 gallons). The 848 has Termi cans but the PO made no mention of if the ECU was changed. How far do you typically get on your 848 before your reserve light comes on?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
What kind of fuel consumption are 848 owners seeing?

I bought an 848 two weeks ago and I've bought fuel three times and each time the reserve light has come on between 60 and 65 miles into the tank. Is that normal? I admit I've sort of been riding somewhat aggressively, about 40-50% highway, but no more so than I do my Sport Classic, which usually goes to at least 75 or 80 miles on the same amount of fuel (2.0-2.1 gallons). The 848 has Termi cans but the PO made no mention of if the ECU was changed. How far do you typically get on your 848 before your reserve light comes on?

Thanks in advance
Typically I get to 115-125 miles before the fuel trip sensor goes off... Just had the 7500 mile service done and it was running a little on the rich side with Termi's and the appropriate ECU

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the ECU on power ON you should see Racing that mean the ECU was change with the slip-on (they come with it).

For the fuel ya your is a little excessive..... how many gallons are you putting in each time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the ECU on power ON you should see Racing that mean the ECU was change with the slip-on (they come with it).

For the fuel ya your is a little excessive..... how many gallons are you putting in each time?
Interesting, it does display "848 RACING" when I first turn on the bike. I put in 2.0 to 2.1 gallons if I buy gas within 10 miles of the light coming on. Works out to 31-34 mpg.

·
Banned
523 Posts
sounds like you're just not filling it up. 34 mph is probably about right but you should be able to put more in. My 1198 gets around 33-35 mpg and my light goes on after about 80-90 miles. If I get gas right after it goes off I can put about 2.7-2.8 gallons in (which is still slightly odd because they say it has a 4.1 gallon tank out of which 1 gallon is reserve).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance the air filter is extremely dirty? Although low 30's isn't that bad, sounds like the indicator might e coming on early
Feels to me like the indicator is coming on early too, but the other two Ducatis I've had always have the reserve light come one a bit past 2 gallons. I've never put more than 3 gallons into any Ducati, even though they all have had ~4 gallon tanks per the spec sheet. On my Monster though, 2 gallons was 100-130 miles.

sounds like you're just not filling it up. 34 mph is probably about right but you should be able to put more in. My 1198 gets around 33-35 mpg and my light goes on after about 80-90 miles. If I get gas right after it goes off I can put about 2.7-2.8 gallons in (which is still slightly odd because they say it has a 4.1 gallon tank out of which 1 gallon is reserve).
Either that or the indicator is coming on too early. If I'm getting the right kind of mpg then I guess there's nothing wrong with the bike, although I'd like to get it tuned anyway since it's new to me and it feels like it's not running as well as it could be low in the rev range.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The low warming is Way too early for your 4 gallons tank....so for 2 gallons 'ish....you get good fuel mileage :) this ain't a monster ;) it's a racing bike......

Racing with slip on is just the right ECU!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts