·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the feedback on these belts, are they better than OEM

·
Registered
429 Posts
We probably won't have a good answer on this for a few years at least as durability is the key, and they've only been on the market a short while. They seem to have enough R&D into them to be a great product. I wished they were made somewhere other than China though...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,195 Posts
I've got them on my ST3 and 999 and a set ready to go on the Monster. So far I see no reason not to use them. I've had them on the ST3 for about 6k miles now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to do the same, just picked up an st4

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I considered using them when I recently needed belts for my bikes. I am sure that Chris did his due diligence when he was having these manufactured. But, because of my experience at work as maintenance director with machines that use LOTS of belts I decided not to be an early test subject. I tried using cheaper Chinese belts at work and in every case they are simply inferior. Like I said, I am sure Chris has put a lot of effort into making sure these are what he has spec'd but I will wait until others have given (lots) of objective reviews. Maybe this could be stickied in the near future.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I considered using them when I recently needed belts for my bikes. I am sure that Chris did his due diligence when he was having these manufactured. But, because of my experience at work as maintenance director with machines that use LOTS of belts I decided not to be an early test subject. I tried using cheaper Chinese belts at work and in every case they are simply inferior. Like I said, I am sure Chris has put a lot of effort into making sure these are what he has spec'd but I will wait until others have given (lots) of objective reviews. Maybe this could be stickied in the near future.
I installed them on my Hyper and 900SS and have been keeping an eye on them and they seem to be fine. I was certainly not happy to see made in PRC :)rolleyes:) written on the belts when I got them. That being said, I trust that Chris Kelly would not be putting his name in jeopardy had he not believed the belt to be up to snuff. But still, a critical part like this made in China....:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
somewhere on this forum, i believe it was in the sport touring section, concerns were expressed about these belts due to excessive tightening during use thus causing noisy operation .perhaps the expansion of these belts is different to the oem belts . anyone else heard/read anything else on the subject? i will be replacing timing belts soon so i could use some info on the subject .

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,218 Posts
I running them on my S2R1k, put them on at 14.5k, that was last year and 7k miles ago. I say WIN! Chris sourced out a very well built belt and among the other things he has done, he has my write in vote for supreme commander.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are those machines Ducatis?

The other "machines that use belts" story I've got involving the same US company/importer and the same largest-belt-factory-on-this-planet has to do with a construction-site conveyor V-belt. They always used Gates. And they break every 6 weeks, almost like clock-work. So my guy comes in and gives them one of the belts from our factory. After 6 months, the construction company calls up all pissed off that they last so well AND are less pricey than the Gates. So now they're using his belts nationwide and saving $$$$$ from not having machines idle while changing the belts. And also saving $$$$ from not having to buy so many.

As always, you get what you pay for. As always, China gives you what you ask for. I asked for the best belts possibly made with current technology. Cut no corners, make no cheats, and employ best of industry practice at all stages. That's why our belts cost so much. Notice that our 900 belts is a few $ more costly than the OEM ones. All of our belts are priced the same way... width*length=price.

The belts don't expand from heat. They expand with absorbtion of water (same as OEM). Every belt we have sent back to engineering has been the exact length as when delivered as new to us within .001". What makes belts tight is when the engine heats up and moves the head away from the crankshaft.

We're trying to get the president of the US company to come to Laguna this year. He's been engineering belts for more than 20 years and has quite the fascination with our Ducatis.

:D Chris

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why? I've bought plenty of USA made stuff that is crap.
These days the world has become so small that "made in xxx" doesn't mean much of anything to me anymore.

Sadly, you're right. Very right indeed:( Sorry for getting 'all political', but having stuff made here is the first step. Taking our industries/fellow citizens to task for not making the best product in the world is the next...Unfortunately we have a culture of trying to get the most money we can from our employers for the least amount of work performed, which compliments our employers drive to get the most work out of the employee for the least amount of pay:rolleyes: As most 3rd world workers come from a state of abject poverty, they don't behave that way...

·
Registered
211 Posts

The belts don't expand from heat. They expand with absorbtion of water (same as OEM). Every belt we have sent back to engineering has been the exact length as when delivered as new to us within .001". What makes belts tight is when the engine heats up and moves the head away from the crankshaft.

chris,
as posted on this forum & elsewhere , some ducati owners have reported noise and unusual 'tightening ' of the timing belts once the motor warms up . were these isolated cases ? can you give us an update on that?

·
Registered
351 Posts
chris,
as posted on this forum & elsewhere , some ducati owners have reported noise and unusual 'tightening ' of the timing belts once the motor warms up . were these isolated cases ? can you give us an update on that?
Yes.

We are seeing specific mechanics not liking the belt tension. Because of these couple people, we are making 2 belts longer (outside of HTD belt spec). The TB1100 belt has already made longer based on 3 customers' feedback out of 400 for that one belt.

TB1100 "problems" history:
2 customers tried our belt, it made some noise, their mechanic said to put the OEM belts back on. Apology and refund issued. Established Ducati mechanics are going to be suspicious of everything so that's reasonable.

1 customer said the noise went away.
1 customer got new belts and was happy
1 customer returned to us belts that made noise ... they were the new, longer TB1100 but had paint on them :confused: He's working with his local mechanic, so he's going to get an apology and refund.

With regard to "apologize and refund", it is the policy which puts the customers' need before all else. To try and make a swap or sort out problems, the belts have to be analyzed and I talk to the mechanic to better understand their concerns, blah blah.

It is through the patience of Ducati owners working with us through noise issues who have helped us sort this out. Noise in and of itself is meaningless. There is noise until the belt wears down the steel sprockets to match the belt's exact shape. Our belts' rubber inner coating makes them more durable but also contributes to noise during belt-sprocket break in.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The only other issue we get feedback about is the TB996:
We have heard from 2 mechanics we already have relationships with that they feel the 996 belt is too short on the vertical cylinder. Still this is a minority based on the several hundred belts we sell. Customers are pretty picky and quick to call us up and yell if they think something is wrong.

These two belts were initially made to SAE spec based on the sample of OEM belts I sent to be measured. Subsequent belts purchased and given to engineering measured longer. (TB1100 and TB996). The 996 belt is based upon a synchronous belt that is very popular, so I can only assume that at every point of R&D (starting with Ducati in the mid 80s), there isn't much critique of their manufacture. So if Ducati builds the motor too tall based on maybe a worn belt fixture...? Conjecture. Same as with our guys, they immediately recognize it as a standard belt. These differences are less than 00.1% of total length. 0.020" over 2+ feet.

These two situations are what I believe people are talking about with respect to our ExactFit belt tension. Our belts are very strong and can be run outside of optimal tension safely. That's why our "more stiff" belts use 99Hz to have the same force on the sprockets as Ducati OEM belts -- but are also OK to operate at Ducati's 110Hz. This was one of my requirements upon manufacture... that these belts can be treated identically to Ducati OEM belts and be equally or more reliable.

--------------------------------------------------------------

We have a Ducati dealer who now sells our belts by default and only sells OEM ones when the customer specifically requests it. I have talked to service managers at shops who talk about OEM belts making noise like the couple above have. And I've talked to dealers whose customers' bikes routinely shred OEM belts.

The big picture: because I have demanded the best possible quality at every step of the way, I believe it fact that our belts are at least as reliable as the Ducati ones. I also have the opinion/believe/feel that ours are "better" and/or "stronger" but without quantifiable scientific testing, I'm not going to state that as fact.

Our belts are a great product and I'm looking forward to selling them and saving customers money for the next 20 years. Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
4,972 Posts

No, they are machines which stress belts far far less. No heat, far lower speeds and loads, indoors so humidity is fairly constant, and on. So, I take that info from my last 8+ years of daily work experience, add it to my 16 years of self-maintained Ducati ownership, a smattering of experience from elsewhere in my life, and I think you can understand my 'watch and wait' stance, no?

And like I said, I am confident in what YOU have done. It is those making them that I (always) question. I hope that those making them (top to bottom) keep up their end. Not bad mouthing you or your product just waiting for objective reports from the 'street'.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Our belts are a great product and I'm looking forward to selling them and saving customers money for the next 20 years. Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris K!

Your approach to quality create the right kind of "want the product" for me. Its becoming time to change belts on my 996SPS and 1098R and your Exactfit is my choice.

Its been a while since the updates on this tread, so I was hoping to bother you with a couple of questions and maybe share some findings/results from quite a lot more years from having the belts in the market.

My question is this:
Do your belts have a "best before date"? Reason for asking this is that being in Norway, buying your belts online from UK or US is my option. Hence I cannot check that the belts "best before date" (if it is a factor) before bought and received.

Do you have an agent/reseller here i Norway? Do you want one?

Kind regards from Norway

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Testastrat,

Thanks for writing! If the belts are stored in plastic and away from sunlight, they have an infinite shelf life. Our manufacturer/importer stores samples from every batch of product he orders then checks the belts every year. Every year, they have consistently stayed "fresh".

We do have EU and UK distributor via Stu at ExactUK.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 20 of 51 Posts