Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just had a Barnett clutch pack and basket installed in my carbed 900ss and an EVER vented pressure plate. I run a carbon fiber pretty open clutch cover. My mechanic is saying that if any rain gets in the vented pressure plate it will be a lot worse than heat for the health of the clutch.

As far as I know these new clutch plates are billet aluminum, can anybody tell me how badly these rust? I am a pretty avid rain rider so it will be a bummer to have to not ride or switch to a stock cover to keep the plates unrusted.

Any input? Should I not let it get wet at all? Was the vented pressure plate a really bad idea? I just wanted a better looking pressure plate, and it happened to be vented. Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Rain wont do it much harm, road salt will - although we are safely over Winter? Alloy will corrode less than steel - they will be fine for a bit until they have had a slapping from the basket, removing the coating on them & leaving bare alloy.

I ductaped my open alloy cover up the last big rideout in which it rained? Didnt look particulary pretty but it did keep all the crap off the road out... ;)

If you do a LOT of rain-riding I would suggest a closed cover for the time being, ensuring your clutch will stay clean for the Summer. :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Surely only a problem when you're parked up? (and only then if the bike's left out in the rain).

While ever the engine is running, the clutch is spinning, so will fling off any water.

·
Registered
266 Posts
open cover

am running a barnett clutch pack on my 96 900ss/cr, with stock basket and and an open cover. i keep an eye on the weather, and never ride in the rain. last summer i washed/dried the bike and it sat for a short time (less than 2 weeks) after which i discovered stuck clutch plates.

took off the cover, removed the pack and dried/cleaned everything. the individual clutch discs and steel plates looked terrible, with damp pad dust gumming up everything. all better now with the pack looking like new again, but i'd advise not letting your bike sit after running in the rain.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't run any clutch cover on my 900 and am not bashful about whashing it down with the garden hose. While I usually put foil over the exhaust I don't do anything to the clutch pack. When I am done washing I blow everything off with the blowing port on my shop vac and then take it for a ride.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
IMO running in the rain won't be a problem with open anything as things are pretty hot down there and as someone else posted water will fling off.

The only problem I had was parking the bike outside in pissing rain for 3 days without riding at all. Water got into the friction material and when I rode it a lot of friction material came off. This was 3 days of saturating rain at Phillip Island for GP many years ago. I now put a plastic bag over it when at PI.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had a clutch stick in just the short time it took to have lunch. The solid plates will stick to the friction material. Do you think I could get it free with out stripping it down on the side of the road in the rain? No chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts