Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done some searching and haven't even seen a mention of this, maybe I'm missing it, but I recently bought a used 11 evo sp. Put miles on it and it seemed to handle... badly. The rear would push mid corner. Being a used bike I figured I'd give it a visual inspection. First thing I noticed was that the fork height looked off.

Forks were a pretty good distance through the clamps. Looked for tool marks on components, maybe signs of adjustments by the previous owner, appeared to be untouched all the assembly marks on the clamp hardware lined up. So I started looking through google image search at other evo sp's and it looks like they're all like this. Took a measurement and the right fork was about 1.5mm higher than the left. I ended up loosening the clamps and moving the fork tubes to the bottom of the second line. From what I can tell the weird rear end issues have been resolved.

My question here would be, what's up with that? Is there a reason for the forks height to have been like that. All the pre "evo" bikes have the fork height level with the clamp from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've done some searching and haven't even seen a mention of this, maybe I'm missing it, but I recently bought a used 11 evo sp. Put miles on it and it seemed to handle... badly. The rear would push mid corner. Being a used bike I figured I'd give it a visual inspection. First thing I noticed was that the fork height looked off.

Forks were a pretty good distance through the clamps. Looked for tool marks on components, maybe signs of adjustments by the previous owner, appeared to be untouched all the assembly marks on the clamp hardware lined up. So I started looking through google image search at other evo sp's and it looks like they're all like this. Took a measurement and the right fork was about 1.5mm higher than the left. I ended up loosening the clamps and moving the fork tubes to the bottom of the second line. From what I can tell the weird rear end issues have been resolved.

My question here would be, what's up with that? Is there a reason for the forks height to have been like that. All the pre "evo" bikes have the fork height level with the clamp from what I've seen.
my evo sp looks to have the same gap...perhaps yours had a fork leg replaced (and they did not allign them correctly?? get the sag and ride height done for about $80 (in oz) and it'll make 100% difference when your on the gas!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bike had a few hundred miles on it, I'd like to think nothing was replaced. Hopefully someone who has adjusted their fork height will chime in with their experience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a shop set up my suspension yesterday, they ended up dropping the forks back through the clamps. Still handles great. Going to stop worrying about it and ride the bike.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The shop adjusted the suspension (including running the forks up in the triple tree) for my wife when she bought a 2012 EVO SP. Once I obtained the bike, I ran the forks back down. The bottom line is very near the top of the triple tree. The two fork legs should definitely be even. I'm not sure where they are supposed to be, but they are intended to be adjustable. Set them to what works for you.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Speaking of SP suspension, I'm going to start messing with mine. The suspension is so stiff, I feel like I'm going to loose my teeth fillings on every ride.
I guess the first thing to do is to determine if the current setting is the stock setting. (mine had 700 miles on it when I bought it)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I read somewhere here that the 1100sp forks have too much compression dampening, and not enough rebound dampening.

I adjusted mine stiffer (from the stock settings) and it was too stiff.

Going 1/2 turn stiffer on rebound, and 1/2 turn softer on compression made the bike feel better.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info on the SP model forks. Nobody knows the exact spring rates, or if the same changes that improve the older models apply to the SP model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking of SP suspension, I'm going to start messing with mine. The suspension is so stiff, I feel like I'm going to loose my teeth fillings on every ride.
I guess the first thing to do is to determine if the current setting is the stock setting. (mine had 700 miles on it when I bought it)
It's stiff for me too, I'm about 225 without gear. Typically the opposite would be true since most bikes are setup for riders between 150-180 lbs. I think the adjustment range in this fork will be suitable to find my sweet spot, but I don't think the shop that set it up put it quite there.

I'm going to record the current settings, put it back to stock, and have a couple of friends help me measure suspension sag and set it up like I do my supermotos. Which is what I should have done in the first place.

I read somewhere here that the 1100sp forks have too much compression dampening, and not enough rebound dampening.

I adjusted mine stiffer (from the stock settings) and it was too stiff.

Going 1/2 turn stiffer on rebound, and 1/2 turn softer on compression made the bike feel better.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info on the SP model forks. Nobody knows the exact spring rates, or if the same changes that improve the older models apply to the SP model.
will keep this suggestion in mind when I'm recording the settings the shop came up with. See if they came up with something similar.

·
Registered
210 Posts
PLEASE let me know what you find!

I'm also 225, and I want to get my bike ready for track days.

I've read everything there is to read about the SP forks, many with the older model report being happy with proper spring rates and air gap/oil settings, but I have yet to confirm any of that info applies to the SP forks.

I calculate out to needing .9-.92 rate springs. I got a set of springs from another member here, they are for the older, shorter model forks, but I think they'll work with the proper spacers. I plan to end up with the new springs, set the air gap and new oil, and hopefully, working with the settings, to end up with a half-decent setup for street/track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts