Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the engine rebuild and big jump in HP, it's been running a little hot on the stock oil cooler. The summer days here in California are coming soon, so I figured I need to do something now.

I found an oil cooler from a Hypermotard EVO SP, and then some hoses for it.

When it showed up I was amazed how much larger it is the SC one.

Got to work installing it and needed to make some 5mm spacers as the mounting tabs were a bit wider. It sits a bit high and just touches the frame at the top. I think I will try to find the mount from the Hyper.

Make a long story short, It dropped the temp 10-12c, so Perfect.

Not a bad mod, but not 100% plug and play.

Some pics

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Nice job 8 ! Surely the stock cooler imho is insufficient. I just came off a 300 mile ride yesterday (that's why the bike is filthy :eek:) and the temps were 32 celcius (90f) ..and elevation of around 5,000' ...so the air is pretty thin...on this ride the bike in stock form ran rather hot due to , I believe, 1- It's too small 2- It is positioned too low and out of the air flow . Your solution not only gives you more cooling area in width but has 2 more rows than the SC unit as I am sure you are well aware ( but also seems to be up in the air flow (not blocked by the front wheel)

I did a similar thing with mine ...except I used an Earl's 10 row curved unit ...welded some tabs on the frame to match the alum mounting plate I cut out and JB welded ( :rolleyes: ) and riveted to the earls unit ..along with some bungs to accomodate rubber grommets . I trashed the temp sensor and replaced the cover\holder with an extra plain unite that I polished up. It's now directly in the air flow (assuming its not deflected by the front wheel but the copious bugs flattened on it tell me I'm there :D) which has dropped my temp by almost 20c and in cooler weather I am almost tempted to run a cover on it !

I performed a simple comparison test on the Earl's unit against the stock .... ran hot water thru both of them , then one at a time , held them in front of a fan running at a very low speed ...the Earl's unit cooled down almost instantly ..the stock piece took much much longer ..not very scientific but there was a distinct difference ...

Here's the old threads :

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/112237-rr-oil-cooler-batt-box-relocated-part-2-a.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/112384-oil-cooler-done.html

Muzz

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice job on both of those mods...they look excellent.

So a quick question...What are the "normal" operating temps for these bikes with stock coolers? I notice that mine can get up to 110/112 while sitting in traffic, and that was on a cooler day.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was pushing 120 in stop and go hot days, now back to 108. Once up to speed, I am running 96. The bigger cooler seems to help with hopped up engines.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Nice mod man, you guys have serious heat on West coast, great way to deal with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hit 122 here today in stop and go traffic. It was 91 degrees out, about 50% humidity and I am at about 2100 Feet above sea level.

So in essence I have answered my own question...lol. It is good to know that my bike is not running excessively hot compared to others though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The LCD display indicates the temperature from 50° to 170° Celsius (before and after shows "low" and "high"). So I think that 110° is optimal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine runs about 380 on a hot day, in traffic, @~7,000 ft...........that would be Kelvin of course..........sorry, couldn't help it!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Nice looking part.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp readings. The SCs read a lot cooler than the old SSs early models of which did not even have a gauge. And reports of heat generated issues on bikes with correctly tensioned belts were to my knowledge unknown. (DUC did a survey found here: 900SSDUC Owner)

I mention belt tension because if belts were too tight and near the end of their lifespan cylinder expansion could add just enough extra load to snap one - generally the vertical cylinder which had less exposure to cooling airflow.

If you worry at all about high temps the easiest fix is to simply enrichen the mixture a bit such as is done by the Fatduc. EPA specified cleanburn leaness makes motors run hot. Again, not so as to do damage, but hotter than otherwise necessary and with lowered, beyond the theoretical stoichiometric ratio, performance.

If your SC surges on light steady throttle, is abrupt when going from off-throttle to gently applied throttle, and/or runs poorly (or pops) at low rpm these are likely signs that it has a leaner than ideal fuel/air mixture. Excessive leaness also amplifies the effects of imperfect cylinder to cylinder fuel management whcih often translates as a 'rough' feeling when power is applied.

-don

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The SC Project oil cooler I just installed keeps my bike at 180F on average. Of course the outside temp today was only 51F. Won't be able to see the real difference until Summer.

Tmnstr

ImageUploadedByMO Free1358736350.768567.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since the engine rebuild and big jump in HP, it's been running a little hot on the stock oil cooler. The summer days here in California are coming soon, so I figured I need to do something now.

I found an oil cooler from a Hypermotard EVO SP, and then some hoses for it.

When it showed up I was amazed how much larger it is the SC one.

Got to work installing it and needed to make some 5mm spacers as the mounting tabs were a bit wider. It sits a bit high and just touches the frame at the top. I think I will try to find the mount from the Hyper.

Make a long story short, It dropped the temp 10-12c, so Perfect.

Not a bad mod, but not 100% plug and play.
I want to do this upgrade and have a couple questions about the hoses, which I love.

1. Did you custom bend the metal adapter pipes and have the hoses swedged on?

2. What hoses did you use, rubber, braided, or ? It's hard to see in the photos, even when I zoom in on them. I love the black look and want to run them both under the cylinder and up the left side like you did, that seems perfect to me.

Did you end up with an upper mount or rely on the lower mounts alone?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The hoses are the OEM Hypermotard ones. 5mm spacers are needed to mount it to the stock mount

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, that makes it a piece of cake.

I was all ready to start bending and flaring the metal tubing to have lines swedged on, this is much easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts