Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last ride, I noticed a "hot metal" smell and thought it may be a car ahead of me. My EVO is checked and maintained meticulously so it couldn't be me. Once I stopped, the rear wheel wouldn't turn very well. It had melted the brake caliper holder. Surprised me.

Checking it all out, it seems a screw holding the speed sensor ring backed out. Once it backed out far enough, it tore the ring and bent it sufficiently to rub the brake caliper holder. The heat melted the ABS sensor wire and made the rear brake pretty much useless.

All up, there's a few expensive parts to replace just because of a tiny screw. There are four or them. It wouldn't hurt to have a look at them from time to time.

I'll try to attach a pic of the meltdown.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Something similar happened to me recently (cocked caliper piston). Fried caliper, rotor, speed sensor, and blew the banjo off the brake line. Lost half power at 90mph. Rotor solid red, caliper nearly on fire. What a nightmare to fix. Holy shit that caliper-to-ABS pump line is stupid expensive ($280, and no one else makes it due to all of the metal elbows in the line). I replaced with all new parts, and man it gets expensive quick. Good thing you didn't go down as a result.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts