Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 916

This one is stumping me. I turned on my 916 for a second, then turned it off and all of the lights stayed on. So i turned the key a few times, then disconnected the battery. Put the lead back onto the battery then everything stayed on, fuel pump, ignition, lights = everything.

It seems to simple to suspect the switch. Is there a main relay that might have went?

I know it seems to simple to suspect the ignition switch, but that is the only thing that was touched to start the problem.

Any help appreciated
Bob

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
the main relay - yellow, located to the rear of the battery - may be sticking. get a test light out and see where the power stops with it turned off.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Did you wash the bike?
water can cause this if it gets where it should not be. Power flow is battery to main 30 amp fuse and then to the ignition switch again. You are describing everything powered so power is getting back to the fuse panel. I would unplug the ignition switch and see if it kills it, if not you have a short back feeding power. Also check the 30 amp main by pulling it. If you did get water in someplace just blow it out with compressed air or wait for it to dry and you should be fine. We had a customer whose bike lit up in the back of his truck when it was rained on returning home.... ghosts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"get a test light out and see where the power stops with it turned off."

The power doesn't turn off. Without the key in the ignition I can start and ride the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ducvet
I eventually turned the bike off by taking out the 30amp fuse. With the fuse out, everything is off (Lights, ignition, fuel)

Dumb question, but If i put back the 30amp fuse and when the Ignition Switch is unpluged the power goes off, I can suspect the actual ignition switch itself?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the ignition switch disconnected everything still stays on.

With the ignition switch plugged in everything still stays on but I can control the dash lights. (?)

does the ignition switch output have 12v in it with the switch off? It must because I can start the bike.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
With the ignition switch disconnected everything still stays on.
if the switch is disconnected from the wiring loom (to clarify, i assume you mean you unplugged it) and the system is still powered i would expect the relay is not releasing. the switch can't be the issue if it's not connected.

that's why, with the switch plugged in, i would check the power coming out of the switch. on the loom side there's 4 wires - red, orange, yellow, grey (?, going from memory here). red is power into switch. orange power out with ignition on, yellow power out to lights when in p position, grey nothing? i forget now.

anyway, with the switch connected and turned off while the problem is active, is there power in the orange, yellow or grey (assuming i have all the colours right, i can't see your bike from here) wires? unplug the switch, and check for power in those wires again. although, if the relay is sticking, it may back feed power into some of them through the loom. maybe not a definitive test.

relays will sometimes latch and not unlatch until all power is removed from them. so if you remove it and try to check for continuity between 30 and 87 it won't have any, because it has opened again. but put power to 30 and trigger 85/86 and it'll hold power out of 87 until 30 is powered down again. fitted to the bike, 30 is always active, so it'll never shut off.

i'd be most suss of the relay, but who knows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GOT IT !!

The small white box to the rear of the battery (a relay?) Popped its cap and was making a constant contact.

Can't thank you all enough. When it comes to electrical problems I panic.

Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that yellow box in the picture is the one. The yellow cap was partially off and pushing the plate to make the connection.

The cap on my bike is very faded from exposure but i can see that it was once that yellow color.

Lots to learn about this 916 - hopefully not all at once. I almost went for a ride today.

Thanks again for everyone's direction. I wouldn't have known where to look without all of your comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts